BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 23m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 6020MB of 11374MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows 7 and Vista SP2 promises BitTorrent performance impr        Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Microsoft was never a fan of BitTorrent. Pretty obvious, how can you be a fan of something that easily and almost effortlessly steals your revenue in front of your nose using your tools? But then, BitTorrent is not all about pirated stuffs, it’s all about file sharing. When I used Windows XP and Vista previously, a crawling uTorrent was not so easy to bear every time. The whole story changed with introduction of Windows 7 (beta actually, for now and RC in recent future), suddenly my torrent downloads got faster than ever before without tweaking a single thing in OS. There was tweaking tools available there to change maximum number of simultaneous TCP/IP connections for Windows XP and this time MS is going to let the applications have the power of tweaking this option directly without any third party app.

As I noticed torrent performance boosts with Windows 7, MS is also going to include this in Windows Vista (although nothing special about XP, it’s dead now) through the upcoming Service Pack 2. When I went through official change logs described in the Windows Team Blog, a specific reference to this improvement was clearly stated there, under “Operating System Experience Update”.

It seems this time MS is really crazy about putting up a great OS through Windows 7 and that’s great. With Snow Leopard slowly and silently returning into spotlight, it’s nice to see yet another war between the two spearheads. Ultimately, it will be the end-users who are going to WIN.

Source: http://www.feelingentity.com/2009/02/26 ... provement/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and Vista SP2 promises BitTorrent performance impr        Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 am 
Donator

i thought that never actually made any difference. I never noticed any speed increases with downloads. Maybe they should check how many seeds there are?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and Vista SP2 promises BitTorrent performance impr        Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 am 
Donator

___ wrote:
i thought that never actually made any difference. I never noticed any speed increases with downloads. Maybe they should check how many seeds there are?

That, or New Zealand's internet backbone is a 128k ISDN line

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 and Vista SP2 promises BitTorrent performance impr        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 am 
FTP Access

I fail to see what one has to do with the other. I'm unaware of any specific Windows related issues that directly affect the performance of bittorrent, be they by design or through ignorance. The two main problems with bittorrent are the ineptness of the user or interference by their isp, not what OS they use.

Top  Profile