BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 15h, 48m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 6133MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Video card question        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:50 am 
Donator

I sometimes have a hard time explaining stuff but here we go.

I have a eGeforce 7900 GT and for the past few months there were problems with the drivers loading, even though I updated it when new drivers came out.

But now with the new drivers I got from nVidias website, they worked, but the card doesn't like anything higher than 800 x 600 now despite the monitor being able to support it. Essentially the screen is like all garbled.

What should I do?

get a new card ? Remove all the drivers of it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
First, remove the driver and install the driver; do not install over it.

If that doesn't work, try the driver from laptopvideo2go.com. And yes, you can use the driver on a desktop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Do NOT use any driver on the 7xxx series card above 179 (180 I'm sure is fine, not quite sure), the 182.xx drivers (beta and official) do not function right (mainly not at all) with Windows Vista and Windows 7 leading to a Code 10 in the Device Manager.

Nvidia has said they will be fixing this problem in the next release.

The quality of Nvidia's drivers have been going downhill in these later releases, especially with 7xx series support...I still have to use drivers from 2006 to stop the tearing problems in games and other graphics problems, the newer ones just tank out really badly, now they just don't even work at all.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:51 pm 
Donator

sure, I will take the old drivers off, and see what is going on, I guess that qualifies for Server 2k8 as well, so I should get something below 179.

Thanks, I will post the results very soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:15 am 
Donator

ok, so I tested the 178 and it gives me a code 43. I guess I should test different drivers or what should I do?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Try a set of drivers from the 97.XX geforce series, they seem to work the best for me.

Also uninstall every bit of driver and software that was loaded onto your system from the other drivers before installing the old ones:
(Check the little box) (You could also click on the "Update Driver" part and install the old drivers over the new, mix and matching old DLLs and INFs with new may be unwise, but it hasn't fail'd to become unstable on me yet)

If that doesn't work, you may have a bummed card, faulty AGP/PCIe slot or something else.

But if all else fails, download the latest live ISO of Ubuntu or another Distro and load it up on your comp to see if it loads its own drivers and displays normally.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Video card question        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm 
Donator

hey its fixed, used the 97 series drivers, I think the card stopped working up until like may 2008's release of drivers or something.

Thanks.

Top  Profile