BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 12h, 19m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5717MB of 10620MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i7 come with support for triple channel memory support but if I buy a dual channel memory, will I suffer much performance loss? Also, is dual channel still better than single channel?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Day2Die wrote:
Intel Core i7 come with support for triple channel memory support but if I buy a dual channel memory, will I suffer much performance loss? Also, is dual channel still better than single channel?

dual channel is better - it can access 2 memory sticks simultanously. tri- is three. You will suffer a performance loss over three or 6 sticks, but not over 1, 5, 7, or a prime amount of stick or not divisible by 2 or 3.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
motherboardlove wrote:
Day2Die wrote:

dual channel is better - it can access 2 memory sticks simultanously. tri- is three. You will suffer a performance loss over three or 6 sticks, but not over 1, 5, 7, or a prime amount of stick or not divisible by 2 or 3.

Actually that's true for Intel Core 2. Intel Core i7 require a set of three. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 am 
Donator

Looks like you answered your own question?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
zamadatix wrote:
Looks like you answered your own question?

No I mean, Intel Core i7 is design to use a triple channel bit because a dual channel is much cheaper than a triple channel, can I use a dual channel on it anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:19 am 
FTP Access

The Core i7 Chips only support DDR3 ram. Therefore you need to purchase DDR3 memory, and im pretty sure you only get the triple channel if you are using 3 sticks of ram. No dual channel with them.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:55 am 
FTP Access

Bigern1990 wrote:
The Core i7 Chips only support DDR3 ram. Therefore you need to purchase DDR3 memory, and im pretty sure you only get the triple channel if you are using 3 sticks of ram. No dual channel with them.

Correct. The i7 only gains a performance boost when using 3/6 sticks of RAM, as they are Triple-Channel, you won't see any boost with 1, 2, 4, or 5 sticks of RAM besides the increase of capacity.

Most companies (OCZ, Corsair etc) sell a Tri-channel pack specifically made for i7 platform.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227388

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Considering the price of a ram stick per kit, the dual channel is much cheaper than the triple channel and that's why I asked.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1
I didn't think DDR3 ram could be used in Dual Channel. Triple channel only making an i7 upgrade expensive at the moment.

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit, AMD Phenom 9950BE OC to 3.01GHz, 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz, 1TB HDD, BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition Champion Series

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Core i7 with Dual Channel?        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Day2Die wrote:
Considering the price of a ram stick per kit, the dual channel is much cheaper than the triple channel and that's why I asked.

That'll change soon enough. DDR3 RAM has gotten cheaper already since the first DDR2/DDR3 hybrid motherboards came out. I'm looking to upgrade within the next year or so.

Top  Profile