BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 17h, 40m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 6899MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
does anyone have any information about this build of windows ( a download link would be even better :wink: )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I don't really know much about this build, but I know that the person who seems to have it is Carlos Carerra (CarlOS), from Spain. He also seems to have Chicago Build 33 and 34, as well as Janus Build 34e (original) and Chicago Build 117 (real). I've asked him a couple of times about this old stuff, especially Chicago Build 34 which I've been searching for a couple of years now, but he never answered any of my emails.

For anyone who wants to contact him, he can be contacted at ccarrera54@gmail.com. You can try asking him, but I don't think he'll answer.

I also heard of a project called "Gizeh" which is 64-Bit and has pyramid shaped icons, however I'll have to look it up again (I found it in the OSBA/ClassicBeta Archives).

EDIT: Added "54" after "ccarrera" in ccarrera54@gmail.com

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Memphis is a beta version of Windows 98.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_98

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:14 am 
Donator

it be nice if we could get ahold of him, but he probably won't budge.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
Day2Die wrote:
Memphis is a beta version of Windows 98.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_98

i KNOW memphis is the code name for the windows 98 beta,s ,i was asking about this particular build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:41 pm 
actually, this screen is fake.

first look at the icons, png quality, the rest: worst jpg...

whatever, there were never any 3d windowsses, its a hoax from 1996, they also said "disney designed the icons" and "... we will show it in disney cinemas", total crap at all, sorry.

Quote:
I don't really know much about this build, but I know that the person who seems to have it is Carlos Carerra (CarlOS), from Spain. He also seems to have Chicago Build 33 and 34, as well as Janus Build 34e (original) and Chicago Build 117 (real). I've asked him a couple of times about this old stuff, especially Chicago Build 34 which I've been searching for a couple of years now, but he never answered any of my emails.

actually, hes like seok or nakamura, but i wont specify more in the risk of getting banned.

gizeh was part of the "3d windows 97 codename knowville" hoax, too, sadly. there were never any 64bit builds of 9x, only nt.

those builds, sadly, i believed were real, but later me and a lot of other people found out they werent real,

sorry for telling the "sad truth".

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Okay, Carlos Carrera, a contact of OBrasilo, is said to have this build.
From what I know, OBrasilo come to know him in October/November last year;
on the 6th November the screen posted above appeared.

I think you should know that I got a (selfmade) "hi-res" screen without
any jpeg artifacts of the same build in August last year from OBrasilo...

Conclusion: this build does not exist, the screen at the top is a fake and most
likely that CarlOS user account also is (that's why no one replies, but proably
this account will become active again after this post - to prove that I'm wrong... lol).

@the mods: I think you should lock this thread to avoid further flame posts or whatever...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Memphis 1233        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 pm 
Administrator

I agree on that. Unless someone can actually produce this build (or anything with these 3D effects) I don't see why this should be further analyzed. We don't need any more "fake" discussions. Making an artifact-free screenshot is quite easy if you use the symbols and icons with a little bit of Photoshop knowledge. I've seen this screenshot circulate all over the web, and personally I find it quite unlikely that Microsoft would do such HUGE side-step into 3D (which in this case - based on the screenshot - is very bad design) and then drop it without leaving any traces. Even now Microsoft had the chance to include 3D animated icons and UI that really shines, or even something along Apple's Time Capsule theme where windows are warped "into" the screen. But these are only my own observations and opinions, I don't have any deep knowledge of what Microsoft did in those days with Memphis.

Locked to prevent any pointless remarks and flaming

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]