BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 16h, 10m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 6609MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Microsoft has just announced the editions or SKUs that will be available for sales and purchase for Windows 7, without any official pricing details yet. But, a German website, windows-secrets.de has leaked the non-binding Windows 7 price recommendations for dealers and OEMs. Note that the news is not verified, and from the many wrong information about features for each editions of Windows 7 presented in the article, it’s likely that the Windows 7 price list is fake or wrong too.

The Microsoft recommended retail price for various editions or SKUs of Windows 7:

Windows 7 Starter Edition: USD $199.95
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition: USD $259.95
Windows 7 Professional Edition: USD $299.95
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition: USD $319.95

Lacking is the pricing details for upgrade version of Windows 7 where Microsoft is expected to even allow Windows XP to upgrade to Windows 7, and price for Windows 7 sold via OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or System Builder
channel, which meant for new PC but has considerably lower price tag.

If the pricing of Windows 7 is valid as above, Windows 7 will have the similar price with Windows Vista after its price drop after a year into launching. However, it’s still considerably cheaper when comparing with price of Windows Vista on initial launch time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
This article has actually been retracted...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:10 am 
FTP Access

Looks a little bit overpried for me, but I am going to get it as a OEM so it's safer for an guy with a low budget :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:15 am 
Donator

i glad i get them for free now, of course in 2 years thats going to stop and ill go back to getting them free ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 am 
Donator

This may be the price upon release, but guaranteed it will get cheaper as time goes on and demand burns out.
I might do what I swore I'd do (But never did) with Vista and wait till SP1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 am 
FTP Access

The prices seem like the same when Vista started, but as always they will just replace the $ with € in Europe :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
I think, Windows 7 Ultimate will be not so expensive as the Vista Ultimate edition in Europe.
Thats cool 8)
I'll buy me Ultimate :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 pm 
I wish MS would just make 1 edition of Windows and let us choose what to install. It would make life so much easier.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Ultimate is so expensive and it wont have any ultimate extras

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 am 
Donator

superstriker2: And everyone pays for the price of ultimate and installs basic?

ricktendo:Oobviously ultimate is going to have to have extras or they wont be able to sell it, but thats why I call ultimate "The Pirate Edition" anyways :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
zamadatix wrote:
Oobviously ultimate is going to have to have extras or they wont be able to sell it

Well heres what MS said:
Quote:
Our new approach to planning and building Windows doesn't have the capacity to continue to deliver features outside the regular release cycle. While our core development team is focused on building the next release, our sustained engineering team is focused on updates to existing features. As a result we don't plan to create Ultimate Extras.
:S Source

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 am 
The extras were not the reason for purchasing ultimate, it was, hence its name, extras.

I really feel as if the pricing was removed was because they were likely spot on, and had to remove it because it would have got them or someone in trouble. However thats just the conspiracy theorist in me.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Pricing Details Leaked        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:37 am 
Administrator

It's not odd they pull info pages like that. Since the product isn't ready and pricing official yet they remove it so they don't get a whole bunch of companies on their throats nagging about pricing etc. When they feel ready they will announce it properly.

As for prices I think it's way too expensive really. And the amount of editions is just too messy. Sure, everything is delivered on the disc so you don't need different media for different editions, but a Basic, Standard, Pro should be enough. Microsoft could even have a service where you pay a small amount online to get an extra feature. Say you want animated backgrounds. Pay $9.95 or something and it's added through Windows Update. Since you use a legitimate key all you need to do is install the OS, add the key and the extras will install themselves along with the fixes.

And prices should be like $99 for Basic, $129-159 for Standard and $199 for Pro. Then it would be much more worth it. Considering how crippled the Starter Edition is I don't see how it could cost a lot more than say, Mac OS X. And with the Ultimate Extras gone I don't see why they keep Ultimate still, just bake it into Professional and be done with it. Starter Edition could have its lame limitations removed and be a good candidate for netbooks and older PC:s as well. Standard and Pro of course comes with everything needed except that Pro can also aim towards companies that need extra features. Standard should suffice for home users, and all editions should be available with "extras" so if I have Standard but I DO want some Pro feature I can just buy that instead of the full Professional package.

At least they are streamlining it for each iteration of Windows and don't keep 219 different editions around =).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW