BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 3h, 29m | CPU: 57% | MEM: 5843MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 pm 
Hi. I am going to upgrade in about a month and I am looking for new components. I am currently looking at purchasing:

Xilence 600W Gaming Edition PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775)
Cooler Master CM-690 Dominator
OCZ Vanquisher CPU Fan (Socket 754, 939, 940, AM2, LGA775)
Nexus Real Silent 120mm Case Fan x4
Asrock 4CORE1600TWINS-P35 P35/ICH9 Socket 775 Motherboard
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA2 7200RPM 32MB cache

Total £440.76 (about my limit)

If anyone could recommend a CPU cooler, motherboard or alternate processor then ill be happy :) Also a PSU lol. I am to be overclocking the hell out of the Q6600 to maybe 3.2 ghz. Thanks for any help!

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 pm 
Donator

A better PSU would probably be a Corsair 620w HX as I have never heard of that brand. Asus and gigabyte make the best motherboards so try to choose one of them if you can. A Thermalright Ultra-120 with fan would probably be a better cooler as these are used heavily on a gaming forum I sometimes visit based here in NZ. You would probably do better with a 9series quad core like a 9300 or 9400 if you can get one as these are 45nm so create less heat. Get corsair ram as well and a video card to suite your budget but don't use onboard it would far bottleneck your cpu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 pm 
I got some ocz 4gb ram and a HIS 4850 ICEQ4 1GB graphics card in my current dual-core rig, ill put them in the new one. Thanks for your help!
The corsair psu is way too expensive, like 100 pounds! Thanks for the advice tho :)

Last edited by jaju123 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:41 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU
Will you be using it for games? If so I recommend you buy a higher end dual core instead, since you'll get a lot more performance out of it.

RAM
You didn't state what memory you would be using. I recommend OCZ memory, I have 4x1GB sticks in dual channel mode, and it runs like a beast. You can overclock the latency to 4-4-4-15 as well if you up the voltage to 2.1v.

PSU
My PSU is a Hiper 590watt PSU, its silent and has worked a charm since I got it. It did cost £49.99 though.

MOBO
For the motherboard try and go for an ASUS P5Q or similar board. They're highly overclockable and you'll have a lot more luck with upgrades too. It also has built in RAID should you ever want to use it. You could do 2x1TB's (or 2x500GB's, however your budget weighs in) in RAID0 for higher throughput performance.

Cooler
I wouldn't bother getting a 3rd party CPU cooler, since I have a E6750 2.66GHz overclocked to 3.4GHz no problem on the stock cooler. 100% stable, no issues with temperatures either (never goes over 58*c under full load).

Case
For your case, try and get one with a fan at the front, as these days keeping your hard disks cool is a must. I deliberately bought a case with a fan at the front for my desktop and my server. Air flow is a real must if you're overclocking as well.

GFX
You don't state any graphics card either, so I recommend a Radeon HD 4850 or 4870 if your budget allows. If not then a 3850 or 3870 (I have a 3870 myself) would do great.

Any more questions feel free to ask :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:44 pm 
Thanks Andy - my current system is an E6750 overclocked to 2.88 ghz ( I cant get higher dunno why - it fails to recognise my hard drive which is weird and I dunno where voltage changing options are...), a HIS 4850 1GB like I said in my post before and 4gb of OCR 2x4gb sticks which I cant OC because I dunno where to find it in my bios. My current mobo is an Asrock Conroe 1333 DVI/H.
I would love a P5Q except I dont have enough cash - like I said im on the limit at the moment. I wanna mainly get the Q6600 for GTA IV and processor intensive games. Thats why im upgrading. Also for futureproofing.

Last edited by jaju123 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:48 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
jaju123 wrote:
Thanks Andy - my current system is an E6750 overclocked to 2.88 ghz ( I cant get higher dunno why - it fails to recognise my hard drive which is weird), a HIS 4850 1GB like I said in my post before and 4gb of OCR 2x4gb sticks which I cant OC because I dunno where to find it in my bios. My current mobo is an Asrock Conroe 1333 DVI/H.

Well, stick with the E6750 and get a new motherboard, as I'm guessing thats where the issue is. If you can't find the setting, its probably because it doesn't exist, meaning a cheap or less powerful motherboard. The rest of it is fine, I don't see why you would want to upgrade. Just get a new motherboard and that 1TB hard disk and you'll be laughing. You'll soon find you can push that clock speed up when you get the new motherboard, unless its the memory causing the problem (doubtful).

I could push this processor up a bit more if I wanted but its tedious work once it gets to near its boundaries. It can take days just to push a few more Mhz out of it without it locking up.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 pm 
I forgot to mention that my E6750 will be going to another person because they are in need of an upgrade too. Quad core is the only way I can go I think and ive always looked forward to seeing 4 core on task manager.

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:54 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
jaju123 wrote:
I forgot to mention that my E6750 will be going to another person because they are in need of an upgrade too. Quad core is the only way I can go I think and ive always looked forward to seeing 4 core on task manager.

Unless you can honestly say you fully utilise a dual core processor (I don't and I bet I do a lot more intensive things than you do) then a quad core is only going to hinder the performance. Go for the highest end dual core available and overclock that. Seeing 4 cores in task manager is a quirk that will wear off in time, believe me! Its nice at first but then you end up thinking why the hell you have 4 cores when you can't honestly use them all at once.

At least the P5Q will allow the upgrade to a quad core should you ever find you do need 4 cores.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 R2
Nice setup build there. I'm also thinking about upgrading my processor to a AMD Phenom X4 9950 (would go phenom II but no support for my bios yet) and I'm kinda short on money. I'm also going to go for a better PSU. Haven't decided what to go for yet but I'm going to aim for 500W+

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 am 
For a PSU, I'd recommend anything from Corsair or PC Power & Cooling. Your CPU is a pretty solid choice.

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Go for the Intel core 2 quad (Q6600) at 2.4 i've got one, there brill, why over clock £150 of ebuyer, and don't use stock Intel coolers ther rubbish ive got one the pushes the air on one direction, not blows hot air other the mobo.....

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 pm 
I also need a new monitor. Im thinking a Hanns-G 28." Im willing for anything above 24" if you have any suggestions.

PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:36 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
All monitors I have used have been good - except Sceptre where the EDID malfunctioned after 2 months...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:47 am 
Donator

Quad core 9300's and 9400's are better overclockers then 6600's as they are 45nm vs 65nm and also use better stepping from what I know. Samsungs and LGs are the best monitors but a cheaper branded one does fine anyway. I have an AOC 19" and know someone with an older AOC 22" and they are perfectly fine unless you do hard core photo editing or hardcore gaming or spent year in front of a trintronic CRT of some type then you will be fine with a cheaper lcd.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:45 am 
Administrator

I agree on the CPU choices, but when it comes to monitors don't bother about brands. Investigate what kind of TFT panel a particular monitor/brand uses instead. There are a multitude of panels out there but even if it's a crap brand with a kickass panel I would get that. Since the panel makes all the difference, not what logo is stamped on the monitor.

Edit: I had to leave quickly so I couldn't explain properly. What I meant is that sometimes a less known brand uses a higher quality panel. I got a monitor here that is made by a company called Illuminix. It's very unknown, they have no website even. It's a 24" and cost me around 200 euros. When investigating it I found out it uses the same kind of panel as the much more expensive monitors from Samsung and NEC. For almost 1/3 price. So sometimes it's better to not stare at a stamped logo and instead find out reviews about a monitor, go look at it at a store etc. Even the "good" brands has crap monitors and vice versa.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need help with mobo/processor choice. Quad Core.        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 pm 
I got a budget increase and am gonna go for the Q9(4/5)50. I need a case tho :( Cheap pls! Thanks again :)