BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 38m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5594MB of 11060MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
At school, I take CISCO. Nominally, I have learned very little from that class. Like the rest of the class, I cheat on all of the tests and spend the rest of the time leisurely surfing the internet.

One day, instead of surfing the internet as I usually did, I logged into a computer's local administrator account (the ones with easy-to-remember usernames and passwords) and proceeded to install FRAPS and 7Zip. I pulled out a flash drive (which had games and the necessary No-CD cracks) and copied them onto the computer, using 7Zip to extract.

The school computers aren't that terrible, but they can't be considered gaming machines either. Here are the specifications:

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with Hyperthreading
512mb RAM
Integrated ATi Radeon Xpress 200 graphics chipset
80GB Hard Drive

So, using the method prescribed I installed the following titles onto the computer. Most of them are older titles that work reasonably well with this dated integrated graphics chipset:

Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Silent Assassin
SWAT 4
SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate
Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory
Rome: Total War
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Far Cry
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

I just double-click the executables, and play. Multiplayer even works too, given that I write down my CD-keys and take them to school. The school's firewall doesn't seem to block any of the ports that these games use for multiplayer functions. Through this, I could play SWAT 4 online - all in the middle of a school day. It amazes me how many people can be online playing video games, even at 7:00 AM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
It amazes me how anybody can admit to cheating as you did and being absolutely okay with it. There's a saying, "With great power comes great responsibility." Now I've pulled a fair amount of tricks and fun in my classes, but I would never cheat on a test "just like everyone else". I consider that rude, and immature. Have some morals.

I fail to see the point of this topic. To brag about stealing administrator's passwords, cheating, and all the games you play while slacking off? Come on. I can't say I'm completely innocent, but at least I don't brag about the things I've done on a public forum.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Derf wrote:
It amazes me how anybody can admit to cheating as you did and being absolutely okay with it. There's a saying, "With great power comes great responsibility." Now I've pulled a fair amount of tricks and fun in my classes, but I would never cheat on a test "just like everyone else". I consider that rude, and immature. Have some morals.

I fail to see the point of this topic. To brag about stealing administrator's passwords, cheating, and all the games you play while slacking off? Come on. I can't say I'm completely innocent, but at least I don't brag about the things I've done on a public forum.

Unfortunately, the teacher doesn't even care.

I never even opted to get put into the class in the first place; I was dumped there because the Creative Writing class was full. I tried to transfer to a Sociology class, but they didn't have room there either, and I was stuck with CISCO for that block.

And as, for the administrator password, the teacher actually gave it to us so that we could install some software for him, so he didn't have to do it all himself.

I don't cheat in any other class, however. I just did in this one because:

1. I had very little interest in the subject in the first place, and was not prepared to fully absorb the material. Originally, I refused to cheat, but as my grades lowered, it became a necessity. Everyone else started to cheat, and the teacher turned a blind eye to it all. What was I supposed to do, fail just so that I could pretend that I was morally superior to everyone else who cheated?
2. Cheating on those tests was the only way I could get a decent grade.

Sorry for not explaining the circumstances further.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:46 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
This description brings me back to my MSO days at school, but sadly, we were stuck with eMacs so we had to survive off torrented videos and emulators... but it was quite the place for cheating, once one person got access to the network, we could use searchlight to find the previous class' assignments and changing names... (sadly, i broke my emac by trying to remove a pop-tart from the cd drive, so i used my laptop, and avoided the cheating) but the teacher didn't give a sh*t about what went on...
By the end of the semester, each and every comptuer was loaded with the following games
Glider
Super Mario World (all accessable versions)
Super Mario Brothers (1,2,and 3)
Sonic (1,2,3,3c)
doom
Halo (Mac edition)
and we had them online too, even though they didn't want us online and tried to keep us off by making every pc have a static IP (easy bypass)

sadly, my class was the last class to enjoy that fun, the teacher was almost fired that summer, but now the principal sits in almost every hour of his class... =(

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:59 am 
Donator

Newsflash

SCHOOL COMPUTERS AREN'T FOR PLAYING GAMES

God, I'm in a computing class full of 16 year old's who have the mental capacity of toddlers, worse when they're playing Halo.

Use the bloody things for what they're for

Last edited by happy dude on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
happy dude wrote:
Newsflash

That's the ironic beauty of it all.

Yet it happens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:35 am 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
happy dude wrote:
Newsflash

That's the ironic beauty of it all.

Yet it happens.

LIGHTBULB!

Seriously though, I don't agree with the fact that you are cheating, but if you DO finish the work before everyone else, like I do (i know much more than my peers) than I believe it is perfectly fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:37 am 
Donator

You don't need to know anything more than everyone else, its a normal class, all you have to do is work hard the first part get the A and do whatever.

and who plays halo on 512mb total ram? ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
zamadatix wrote:
and who plays halo on 512mb total ram? ;)

pfft. It isn't like it's Crysis. The original Halo doesn't take up that much system resources iirc.

When I had Macromedia in Year 9 we used eMacs to do it on, I usually got bored pretty quickly because I did finish what we had to do and the teacher didn't really care what we were doing, so I usually played flash games, watched videos or ssh'ed into a server where I could IRC etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Those PCs are around the same as the PCs in my school. But no one knows the admin passwords and the website blocker blocks most sites, so proxies are a no-go for me in school. Not that I need proxies though

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
best ways to find the admin passwords
1: linux boot disk, and ophcrack for linux
2: dreampack PL
3: ophcrack boot disk
4: look over their shoulder when typing it in

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:40 am 
Donator

Also the best way to get your head kicked in by the IT guy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:18 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
happy dude wrote:

Unless you ARE the IT guy =P

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
At the schools I went to they sent a IT policy which you and your parents had to sign. They take this policy very very seriously. If you did get court for what you were doing, You would be in deep deep (Censored)

My 10 year old brothers school is very crazy about 'Cyber Safety' My brother got in big trouble for saying as a joke he was recording someone on his phone and was going to put it on youtube. He even showed the person after they freaked out that the phone lacked any working still or video camera. Another example would be a friend of mine who got banned from School IT for a term for printing out a picture of a Glock 9mm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:32 pm 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:
At the schools I went to they sent a IT policy which you and your parents had to sign. They take this policy very very seriously. If you did get court for what you were doing, You would be in deep deep (Censored)

My 10 year old brothers school is very crazy about 'Cyber Safety' My brother got in big trouble for saying as a joke he was recording someone on his phone and was going to put it on youtube. He even showed the person after they freaked out that the phone lacked any working still or video camera. Another example would be a friend of mine who got banned from School IT for a term for printing out a picture of a Glock 9mm

If i had to deal with that after being at my school where I have many programs installed on my server folder, I don't know what i would do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 am 
Donator

My school is in a poorer area so while the pcs are newish its a bit hard to play any games when we are allowed even when the screen is all mucky cause of some idiot touching it with his hand and rubbing his finger across it or other stuff like that. I know a guy who loaded firefox onto the network as well as tons of pokemon games so we ff (portable ver btw) is used my people to to break ruled and the games get played. The network will prob have been cleaned over the summer so when I get back to school ill see if its there. I dont cheat in tests but I do play games once I have finished all my work and am allowed to by the teacher.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
pizzaboy192 wrote:
happy dude wrote:

Unless you ARE the IT guy =P

You're not though.

Staff account ftw.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Big deal, I boot into administrator account using PCLoginNow 2.0 and install bunch of stuff on the school computer and they don't seem to care less.

Not too bad:
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33GHz
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Disk
ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB

I use it to download stuff off utorrent, after all I don't want to wreck my own hard disk from the constant writing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:01 pm 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
...and who plays halo on 512mb total ram? ;)

My first computer was a Dell. It had integrated Intel graphics, a 2.8Ghz P4 and 512mbs of ram. It played Halo perfectly fine :)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 pm 
Donator

for some reason i was thinking halo 2 :P, correction: who plays real video games on 512mb ram ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
FTP Access

pizzaboy192 wrote:
best ways to find the admin passwords
4: look over their shoulder when typing it in

That = win. Although in my Cisco class the teacher eventually gave us the password. A few people would get on Newzbins and download stuff (20Mb each way ftw), but I was happy just to play a few games and surf the net (unless somebody handed me a disc with something cool on it... 8) )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I just discovered a new way... DreamPack PL (replace a single .dll file, and you can access IE\win explorer on the login screen... )
I use that now

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 pm 
Ahh. I got in alot of trouble when I used to be at school.

In the days pre-SP2 (actually, it had already been out a while, but none of the techs installed it) so the feature "Messenger Service" was still active and availible on every machine on the network.

Ahem. net send * message turned out to be quite amusing for me and my friends, but I got suspended and was no longer allowed to logon from 12:00 - 1:25 and 16:45 - 08:55.

Then there was the time when the dufus IT teacher typed his password in the username box.

My blog seemed to be really popular with everyone at school too. They blocked it (and suspended me again) for saying I thought the IT staff were useless.

When I went to college, the machines there were [censored] (the windows ones anyway) 733mhz procs, 256mb ram. Still enough to play a 30 player game of quake 3 though and Counter Strike.

When we moved to the macs though, we played COD2 every lunchtime. Which they then blocked, but since we were on the fancy macs with wireless built in, we just did it over wireless instead.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

PostPost subject: Re: Playing video games at school.        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
anet wrote:
My blog seemed to be really popular with everyone at school too. They blocked it (and suspended me again) for saying I thought the IT staff were useless.

I said my school was crap and full of Nazis on my blog once, they didn't take that too well.
They did seem to care more about what I did outside of school than what I did inside of school though. Punishment for 'hacking' the network: 1 day ban and a warning. Punishment for having a site with a proxy on it (even if you didn't use it at school): 1 Month Internet or Network Ban, depending on how much they hated you. Punishment for daring to speak against the school on your blog that no-one reads: Refuse to offer the student any further IT Courses, remove them from their current IT course if on one, and prevent them from using a School Computer ever again.

I think Schools really need to make the punishment fit the crime 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW