BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 14h, 14m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5929MB of 10690MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:44 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am

Posts
725

Location
TeXaS

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Just got my nVidia 8600GT 512MB (Overclocked) video card and installed it. Games run SO much better now...unfortunately, my computer still chokes on 1080p playback. I've heard that you have to have at least a dual core to get the full benefits of HD video. Just wondering if it's true. Here's my specs currently:

3.2GHz Pentium 4 w/ HT (2MB L2 Cache)
4GB DDR2 PC6400 Memory
BFG nVidia 8600GT OC 512MB with HCP support
Dual WD Raptors in RAID 0 Config
Windows XP 32-bit
Direct X 9.0c

Is there a way to transfer more decoding work to the video card so that processor isn't taxed so badly? When playing this 1080p movie, the CPU utiliztation reaches 65%-75% max. Is there maybe another issue I'm not aware of? If you need any additional details, please let me know.

_________________
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
Your processor is too old, simple as that.

Hell, an Intel Atom can play back 1080p smoothly.

Plus that graphic card in a P4.. let's just say it'd probably run better in a Core2Duo


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:49 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:45 am

Posts
936

Location
New Zealand
If your motherboard supports core 2 duos or pentium dual cores even then I advise you get one. To do this you may need a bios update but it will be worth it if you can as you will be able to run the movies properly on it.

_________________
PC Gamer and hardware plus software enthusiast (especially betas).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:18 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Posts
3935

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
That processor will surely choke. If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade, and if your motherboard supports a Core 2 Duo, get yourself one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116063

Super cheap, and super inexpensive. I'm running a 1.6 GHz version of this exact same processor that they used to sell, and it runs Blu-Ray 1080p in a pinch with nothing but a GeForce 8500. (It runs a little choppily under XP at the start, but it's perfectly smooth under 7.)


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:45 am

Posts
936

Location
New Zealand
Derf wrote:
That processor will surely choke. If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade, and if your motherboard supports a Core 2 Duo, get yourself one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116063

Super cheap, and super inexpensive. I'm running a 1.6 GHz version of this exact same processor that they used to sell, and it runs Blu-Ray 1080p in a pinch with nothing but a GeForce 8500. (It runs a little choppily under XP at the start, but it's perfectly smooth under 7.)

That chip would be perfect it would also make windows run smoother and allow you to do more and do it faster especially games.

_________________
PC Gamer and hardware plus software enthusiast (especially betas).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:57 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Posts
3935

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
win98 wrote:
Derf wrote:
That processor will surely choke. If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade, and if your motherboard supports a Core 2 Duo, get yourself one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116063

Super cheap, and super inexpensive. I'm running a 1.6 GHz version of this exact same processor that they used to sell, and it runs Blu-Ray 1080p in a pinch with nothing but a GeForce 8500. (It runs a little choppily under XP at the start, but it's perfectly smooth under 7.)

That chip would be perfect it would also make windows run smoother and allow you to do more and do it faster especially games.

Oh without a doubt. My brother plays Call of Duty 4, F.E.A.R., and a couple of other games under his 1.6 GHz version of that chip, and it runs in full quality without a stutter, and that's under Vista.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:27 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Posts
694

Location
New Zealand

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Will mine run Blu-Ray ok if I had a blu-ray drive

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.2Ghz
4Gb's of DDR 2 800Mhz Ram (But cos of me been on 32-Bit XP SP3 theres only 3.2)
Palit Nvidia 9500GT DDR2 512Mb (Has trouble with GTA IV at 1440*1050)
Twin Seagate 250GB Sata Drives
Windows XP SP3 32Bit

Off Topic: My 200th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Core 2 Quad Q8400, 8Gb DDR3, ATI HD4850, 1Tb Seagate, Windows 7 Ultimate X64


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Posts
3935

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
mewrox99 wrote:
Will mine run Blu-Ray ok if I had a blu-ray drive

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.2Ghz
4Gb's of DDR 2 800Mhz Ram (But cos of me been on 32-Bit XP SP3 theres only 3.2)
Palit Nvidia 9500GT DDR2 512Mb (Has trouble with GTA IV at 1440*1050)
Twin Seagate 250GB Sata Drives
Windows XP SP3 32Bit

Off Topic: My 200th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That'll run Blu-Ray without the slightest problem.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am

Posts
725

Location
TeXaS

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I at once had a Dell Latitude D830 which had an Intel Core 2 Duo in it, and it ran great. The only problem with upgrading my processor to a dual core is that my chipset will not support it (Intel 915G). The most I can do is a Pentium 4 3.8GHz. I will eventually move to a dual core, but I don't have the money or the justification right now.


I guess I'll just stick with 720p for now unless someone has other suggestions. Thanks!

_________________
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Posts
1022

Location
The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
0. Check drivers

1. Overclock
2. Convert videos to other format? :|

Consult this also...
http://docs.cyberlink.com/multi/support ... &nCateId=5

_________________
Image
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Posts
352
I don't know... what happened to my last post... but your computer is well capable of running multiple 1080p streams. I would say it's a software issue - either too much crap running or you are using a media player which can't use your graphics card.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send a program that shuts down any non-critical windows processes.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am

Posts
628

Location
UK
Its all about the bitrate. Not all 1080p are created equal. You may be able to play lower bitrate 1080p without issue but have issues with larger files, say 10gb+. As far as I know, graphics cards can currently only be used for hardware accelerated mpeg/mpeg2 decoding and in the case of CUDA enabled GPU's h264 encoding, so no there isn't really any way to offload the decoding to the graphics card, unless perhaps the hd source is an mpeg transport stream (.ts). See how badly fragmented your hdd is, that can also cause issues with hd playback.

_________________
Sign my pointless petition; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/skeptic/


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:59 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7441
To make it use the videocard to decode you not only need a capable videocard, but also the proper playback software. With some good video hardware you could use an Atom to playback 1080p, but not in software...

What you can try is also using a more efficient codec for playback. I am not sure what you use, but I recommend you try CoreAVC. I've used the more common one that comes with FFDShow, but I found that CoreAVC did a much better job. With FFDShow I could get uneven decoding even on a fast quadcore, but with CoreAVC it dropped the CPU usage to a third without any issues. I don't prefer using any of the "special" software that uses GPU decoding mostly because they are crap. Bloated software that only attracts 5 year olds that likes oversized buttons and "put-as-much-bling-as-you-can-UI".... So until ffdshow really supports hardware decoding (by using CUDA or OpenCL) I'll go with CoreAVC.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
..he also got a new PC..


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am

Posts
725

Location
TeXaS

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
happy dude wrote:
..he also got a new PC..


Guys, I'm sorry. I forgot all about this thread. Happy dude is right, i did get a new PC.

Dell Precision 490 w/ Intel Xeon 5140 (Dual Core) 2.33GHz

I was able to purchase it after I made back some money on some old parts I sold off on eBay. As far a what caused the issue with playing back 1080p videos, I think it may have been codecs as mrpijey suggested. I had no idea an Atom processor could decode a 1080p video, however. I guess it also depends on what video/audio compression was used. Whatever the problem was, it isn't any issue anymore for sure.

_________________
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7441
4tified wrote:
Guys, I'm sorry. I forgot all about this thread. Happy dude is right, i did get a new PC.

Dell Precision 490 w/ Intel Xeon 5140 (Dual Core) 2.33GHz

I was able to purchase it after I made back some money on some old parts I sold off on eBay. As far a what caused the issue with playing back 1080p videos, I think it may have been codecs as mrpijey suggested. I had no idea an Atom processor could decode a 1080p video, however. I guess it also depends on what video/audio compression was used. Whatever the problem was, it isn't any issue anymore for sure.


With that system you wouldn't have any issues decoding 1080p. My workstation is a similiar one and it decodes QHD streams just fine. So it's most definately some bad codec wasting a lot of CPU cycles.

An Atom by itself has nowhere near the power to decode ANY HD material in software, but it needs major assistance by a GPU. 720p can be decoded fairly decent with a basic Intel GPU, but 1080p needs better stuff. The newer Intel GPU:s will handle it, so will the ones NVidia is going to pump out soon. But in pure software then no way.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:26 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am

Posts
725

Location
TeXaS

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
mrpijey wrote:
4tified wrote:
Guys, I'm sorry. I forgot all about this thread. Happy dude is right, i did get a new PC.

Dell Precision 490 w/ Intel Xeon 5140 (Dual Core) 2.33GHz

I was able to purchase it after I made back some money on some old parts I sold off on eBay. As far a what caused the issue with playing back 1080p videos, I think it may have been codecs as mrpijey suggested. I had no idea an Atom processor could decode a 1080p video, however. I guess it also depends on what video/audio compression was used. Whatever the problem was, it isn't any issue anymore for sure.


With that system you wouldn't have any issues decoding 1080p. My workstation is a similiar one and it decodes QHD streams just fine. So it's most definately some bad codec wasting a lot of CPU cycles.

An Atom by itself has nowhere near the power to decode ANY HD material in software, but it needs major assistance by a GPU. 720p can be decoded fairly decent with a basic Intel GPU, but 1080p needs better stuff. The newer Intel GPU:s will handle it, so will the ones NVidia is going to pump out soon. But in pure software then no way.


Are you talking about the newer Intel integrated video chipsets? I've noticed they were a lot faster too.

_________________
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7441
Yes, the new Intel G4x chipsets with integrated X4x00HD IGP:s. They have full 1080p h264 decoding in hardware, so even with a slow processor you can decode Bluray and other h264 contents without any issues.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 am 
Reply with quote
As an owner of a Pentium Dual Core, I can say they are quite capable processors. I had a 2Ghz one and now I have a 2.5Ghz one (which overclocks to 3.2Ghz no problem). It works great, there's little reason to choose a Core 2 Duo over it.


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
stolid wrote:
As an owner of a Pentium Dual Core, I can say they are quite capable processors. I had a 2Ghz one and now I have a 2.5Ghz one (which overclocks to 3.2Ghz no problem). It works great, there's little reason to choose a Core 2 Duo over it.


And I'd say the exact opposite. I ditched my Pentium Dual Core first opportunity. The inability to allow x64 VMs thanks to a lack of Virtualisation Extensions was unacceptable for me, especially considering I'd got it to replace a Sempron which *could* run x64 VMs.

For blu-ray though, A Pentium Dual-Core is more than enough :)

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:16 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:08 am

Posts
66

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 build 2195
Try this app it tells you whether your system can run bluray movies smoothly and its by a trusted vendor http://www.cyberlink.com/english/suppor ... gnosis.jsp


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:52 am

Posts
123

Location
In your imagination...

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP2
If you can afford it get a core 2 duo but if you are on a budget a pentium dual core above 2.2ghz core will manage it ok.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:43 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
laser23 wrote:
If you can afford it get a core 2 duo but if you are on a budget a pentium dual core above 2.2ghz core will manage it ok.


viewtopic.php?p=81340#p81340 8-)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Blu-Ray Minimum Requirements        Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:54 am 
Reply with quote
I ran my Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with a Sapphire Radeon 4850 HD and it worked absolutely fine. My CPU usage was minimal, meaning all the decoding happened in the VGA. Before I purchased the 4850 HD, I had an old All in Wonder x1200 and my CPU usage was >60% for blu ray playback. I know the adviser says that the CPU is out of date but I saw that as long as you get a good HD VGA, it'll handle the bulk of the load.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ATeamInc and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS