BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 5h, 12m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5532MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 am 
Donator

Hello BA, thought i'd share something with you :)

I've been in computing for a long time (in my eyes anyway). BUT, I didn't really get into beta collecting and testing until about a year and a half ago. Which really makes me sad! For all you Beta Veterans out there, you must have had so much fun with longhorn and the reset! I've done a lot of reading into it, and it really looked like a great time to be a beta tester, and I missed it!

Does anyone else have this? A sense of regret like "Dammit, I wasn't quick enough!"? I wish I was aware of the Longhorn Saga, it would have been the most fun I've ever had!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:53 am 
Donator

I'm pretty sure the most fun you can ever have involves taking your clothes off...
(or not taking your clothes off, whatever your into)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
jabster wrote:
I'm pretty sure the most fun you can ever have involves taking your clothes off...
(or not taking your clothes off, whatever your into)

Lol.

I missed the Longhorn Era too, I only joined the Beta Community 23 months ago, when I joined Joejoe and BA within 24hrs of each other.

For me, the best times since then were the Longhorn Projects, first watching LHR, which then turned out crap, before getting involved with Longhorn 08 and ending up doing protoPlex.

I did a lot of learning about Longhorn, but by far the best way of course is practical experience. Downloading, using and experimenting with the builds is a great way to gain knowledge and understand what made Longhorn work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I missed Longhorn, I was only 7 when 3683 leaked,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:58 pm 
Donator

Same here, didn't know a lot about Longhorn but the info on WinSuperSite.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:09 am 
FTP Access

I pretty much jumped in when PDC 2003 was going on, but didn't start collecting until I switched from Dialup to DSL right before WinHEC 2005 (late I know)

Last edited by TheWahbinator on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I actually find using Betas WAY more interesting AFTER the retail product has released then it is to use them BEFORE the retail version is released. This way I am way more familiar with the product in general. I prefer to go back and see what has changed from retail, rather than what evolved into retail.

As far as Longhorn is concerned, I followed it pretty closely.. but I find myself poking at them way more since Vista has been released.

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 R2
I never got into beta testing OSes until the Longhorn Era. There were just so many great and for filling features that never got completed. It was nothing but a dream to the average geek. I to this day stare at the what could have been, even though Windows 7 will be a great upgrade from vista, Longhorn would have probably allowed alot of XP users to make the switch with a bit more ease.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler Build 2419
I remember being on flexbeta the day 3683 leaked. I was in HS on the computer in the library and when I saw that I screamed "Holy [censored]!" out loud. lol. Good times.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I was a tiny bit late to the Longhorn Party (was working in a Hospital, tripple day shifts), but I would of came along in late 2003, I knew about Longhorn for some time before that, but as Whistler had just wrapped up a ~year before it, I didn't think the next release of Windows would of been such a big project.

My Jaw dropped looking at the PDC 2003 Screenshots and all the numerous concepts shots that were around at that time...the technology they were importing into Longhorn was something I had never seen before (cairo tech was an exception), it was a massive leap forward for Microsoft.

I can't remember the exact first build I got, but I know it took me several days, if not more then a week to get it...I was on a Satellite Connection at the time and it was slower and more unreliable then Dialup.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:09 pm 
FTP Access

Well I always loved Longhorn, I began being interested by 2003 with the 4xxx builds I think. My favorite is and has always been 4074. I've always been curious what Longhorn would've looked like if it hasn't been abandoned :cry: I always wanted to have 4093 build, now I have it and it's crap...

I'm still crying and angry that they canceled Longhorn and made Vista :x

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm 
Ensign Joe wrote:
Well I always loved Longhorn, I began being interested by 2003 with the 4xxx builds I think. My favorite is and has always been 4074. I've always been curious what Longhorn would've looked like if it hasn't been abandoned :cry: I always wanted to have 4093 build, now I have it and it's crap...

I'm still crying and angry that they canceled Longhorn and made Vista :x

:cry: i too am sad of canceling longhorn. i really loved it

PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn (and how I missed it >.<)        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I'm not sad they cancelled Longhorn, it was the best decision.

Longhorn: Great Concept, Poor Execution.#
Vista might have been toned down a bit, but you can't deny it's a solid, stable OS (subject to you not having an nVidia card :P)

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]