BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 18h, 25m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5566MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:26 am 
FTP Access

:idea: Thank you for opening this topic! I need your help! :)

As you all know, I love using Apple Macintosh computers, but now comes the time when I am willing to purchase a Windows-based computer. :o The issue being price and space. I want a computer that doesn't come with a built-in monitor like the iMac, but I don't want something non-powerful like the outdated Mac mini.

I am not looking for an ultra-power computer. I need something that will simply be quiet, play blu-ray movies with hdmi output, and floppy disk support. Below are some added details.

There are a few requests I wish to have in the computer:
- PLEASE, IT NEEDS TO BE QUIET. lol
- Intel Core Duo 2 [2.4 Ghz or anything around that is fine; no AMD, unless you can explain why it's better]
- Blu-Ray Disc Drive [doesn't need to burn discs, only play them]
- Floppy Disk Drive [yes, I still use these to swap files from my old PowerBooks and Macs]
- 4 GB of RAM [to run 64-Bit Windows Vista...unless you have a reason why to avoid 64-bit for now].
- 200 GB [I honestly don't need this much, but that's all I want]
- Video card that supports HDMI [for my new 19" TV!]
- Room for PCI Expansion slots [I would like to install my current sound card purely for MIDI-input devices]
- Something that doesn't cost more than $1000.

I understand that Windows Vista is now the standard operating system. I also know that Dell offers Ubuntu to make its computers cheaper to buy. I am looking for a computer that won't really run heavy powered video games [if anything, The Sims 2, but that doesn't even need a 128 MB video card]. I don't need wireless as Ethernet will be hooked into it.

If by any chance, you believe Blu-Ray should wait and I shouldn't bother getting the drive just yet, please, tell me. I understand it is the wave the future, but if you think I should hold off and just get a standard player or a PS3, let me know!

Some of the computers I've been looking into include the Dell Studio Hybrid, as HDMI comes standard, there is a slot-loading disc drive, and is really small! However, there are issues with upgrading and the price being high compared to Gateway and laptops.
The other computers include HP's a6660z and Gateway's DX4200-UB001A with 6GB of RAM.

I seriously want your input for a modern computer. I figured that since this is a computer forum, you ALL have experience with this field. :P

Thanks!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
If you have the know-how, you should build your own computer. It's cheaper, and allows you a greater choice in components.

If you want a quiet computer, get a PSU from Corsair or Seasonic. They have large fans that spin more slowly, so they are quieter than your usual PSU. Since you aren't gaming, it's also advised that you buy a motherboard with integrated graphics. Most modern integrated graphics chipsets can decode HD nicely. Something like Intel's DG45ID might do the trick. It even has HDMI!

Overall, a computer like this would only set you back only $500-600. Maybe $700 if you toss in Blu-Ray.

Last edited by XX55XX on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... lid=627062
^-- Can I suggest that? It comes with a quad-core processor, 4GB of RAM, a great graphics card that should drive any modern TV / monitor, a huge hard drive, and it's pretty customizable for a good price.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 am 
Donator

i do suggest getting a bluray drive, i got a pioneer bdc-202 and it is great. you could get a bluray/hd-dvd combo drive and pick up some cheap hd-dvds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
It's a tough choice, one one side, you can pick up a cheap used 40GB PS3, a usb floppy drive, a cheap 160GB 2.5" SATA drive for ~$460 and load it up with Ubuntu/Yellow Dog Linux, and the only thing you miss is the PCI expansion slots, or you can use NewEgg and build a brand new machine for much less. Either way, you're looking at a sub $500 price tag.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 am 
FTP Access

Okay, I figured it would be cheaper to simply get an external floppy disk drive. :P I guess it will be a hassle having to configure one online and wait extra days simply because of the feature.

My question is, do you think Best Buy will offer a discount if I were to buy a computer from them and get an HDMI video card [obviously NVIDIA or ATI]? I think HP or Dell offers these upgrades for about $100, which I'm assuming the cards aren't more than that?

Once again, I still don't understand [after all these years] what's the difference between AMD and Intel processors besides its prices. I hear the AMDs overheat, but they have better performance.

I'm really looking into the Intel-based HP Slimline computer (s3600t) as it is a CNET Award Winning computer for 3 years in a row. The only nag I think for it is no internal IR Receiver...which I don't need. lol). It's small, quiet, and it is powerful enough to run my typical operations. Besides, I can always upgrade the thing later [when I get more money] to Blu-Ray, 4GB memory, etc.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Quote:
I hear the AMDs overheat, but they have better performance.

Fail, think Andy said once something along the lines of:
AMD = cheapness
Intel = performance
And i actually agree with it :P Just snoop around dell, or built your own

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 am 
Donator

AMD's aren't bad

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 am 
FTP Access

Toshua123 wrote:
Quote:

AMD = cheapness
Intel = performance

Well, this CNET war seems to believe that AMD is the better choice all the way:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-9.html

I'm not sure I can fully trust CNET for everything they say, plus this is probably a biased review regardless of the Benchmarks provided. Maybe the Intel duo cores today [since the test was done back in 2005].
And then I watched a few YouTube videos showing the AMD processors BURNING UP! lol

Either way, I am going for Intel since all of my computers have either an Intel chip, PowerPC G3, or Motorola 68030. :P

I'm also noticing a huge preference towards Dell rather than HP. My family has been with HP and Apple all of our lives, is there is a reason why Dell would be a better choice? Also, I'm done "building" my computers for now, so I won't be doing that for this purchase.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:03 am 
Donator

AMD don't overheat, Celeron overheat, AMD just get a little crispy...

I've always been very synical of Dell, but looking on Dell's USA site you should have no prob getting a decent PC with a Blue-Ray drive for under $1000, the fact you already have a TV/Monitor shaves quite alot off the price.

(Sidenote: God the USA version of Dells site is a pain in the ass, worst layout ever.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Good deal for pre-assemble computer: Dell XPS 240
http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... 20_anav5~~

Intel® Core™2 Q8200 Quad-Core (4MB L2 cache,2.33GHz,1333FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
No Monitor
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Sorry no blur-ray.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:04 am 
Donator

XPS is a little over the top for what he wants, he'd be better off ordering a PC from the studio line.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am 
Donator

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDDWMB3&s=dhs Consider that and add the bluray and other options you want there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

True, XPS is a little "too" powerful for what I need. I only game on my video game consoles and not on computers. I'm not exactly sure. I use computers for research, communication, and staying organized. Some have other uses, such as merely browsing the internet, word processing, messing around with MS Paint, or watching movies. The reason for the addition of HDMI and blu-ray is to keep ahead of the generation, but not necessarily have all that power. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz for that. :P It already has a 256MB Video Card if I may add, which is why I don't really need to dish out money for anything higher than 128MB or integrated graphics on this PC.

I truly am looking towards Dell's Studio line, as they stylish, offer a more compact design if I need it, and of course, a cheap addition to Blu-Ray [$100]. Once again, HP's Slimline Intel addition is looking up as well, as they just updated all their models today!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:35 pm 
FTP Access

troyoda1990 wrote:
Okay, I figured it would be cheaper to simply get an external floppy disk drive. :P I guess it will be a hassle having to configure one online and wait extra days simply because of the feature.

Not really, an internal 3.5" drive costs next to nothing but the USB ones are more expensive. You should just build a cheap tower, I was pricing one up for someone last week and it was only going to be about £230 for a Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz CPU (add about £40 for a decent Dore 2 Duo though I'm not sure you need it unless building a gaming machine, the Pentium Dual Core is actually just a lower-end C2D as opposed to one of the old hot-running Pentiums), 4 GB Ram, 250 GB hard drive, DVD-RW, nice case with transparent side and blue lights, and Intel GMA 3100 graphics (add however much you need for the graphics card of your choice but even a very decent card that plays all the latest games on maximum settings is only around £60 these days).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Donator

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to build this PC?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 am 
FTP Access

I have parts lying around, such as motherboards from other computers, drives, cables, power supplies, etc., but I'm looking primarily for something to play blu-ray videos, but something that can do more than just browse the internet or play video games [i.e. PS3, a basic blu-ray player, etc.]. Plus, I like buying new computers and learning from them, every detail, such as how it is shipped, whether it comes in plastic, aluminum, cardboard, etc., and what paper-work is actually included with the computer. It's interesting how a PowerBook 180 came with a huge manual about 200 pages long bounded by wires, to the PowerBook 190 with only 100 pages of paper bounded binding. Nowadays, you're lucky if you get more than a set-up manual.

Most people build computers to show off. I don't really need to show off anything. Obviously, it's more than that, such as saving money, just using stuff around the house, devotion, accomplishment, etc. I just feel happier when I get something that was never used before and created and shipped to me by me.

Plus, I don't know a lot about building my own computers, and I really don't want a HUGE computer on my desk. That's why I'm moving towards the smaller computers, as they are the wave of the future it seems [as are laptops].

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:14 am 
FTP Access

troyoda1990 wrote:
Most people build computers to show off. I don't really need to show off anything. Obviously, it's more than that, such as saving money, just using stuff around the house, devotion, accomplishment, etc. I just feel happier when I get something that was never used before and created and shipped to me by me.

The main reasons for doing it are that it's cheaper and you get to choose the exact parts/specification you want. I don't use bits I've already got as they tend to be very old, just buy all the bits and put them together, so you don't need to have decent parts lying around already.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 am 
Donator

(To me laptops are not the way of the future, there's no way I'm putting a source of heat, radiation and radio waves anywhere near my testicles)

If you want to save space, the Dell Studio Hybrid is pretty small, cheap, and comes with HDMI ports and for an extra $200 a Blue Ray drive.

It'd still be cheaper to build a PC, but theres no way you could build somthing as small as the Dell Studio Hybrid...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 am 

troyoda1990 wrote:
Toshua123 wrote:
Quote:

AMD = cheapness
Intel = performance

Well, this CNET war seems to believe that AMD is the better choice all the way:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-9.html

I'm not sure I can fully trust CNET for everything they say, plus this is probably a biased review regardless of the Benchmarks provided. Maybe the Intel duo cores today [since the test was done back in 2005].
And then I watched a few YouTube videos showing the AMD processors BURNING UP! lol

Either way, I am going for Intel since all of my computers have either an Intel chip, PowerPC G3, or Motorola 68030. :P

I'm also noticing a huge preference towards Dell rather than HP. My family has been with HP and Apple all of our lives, is there is a reason why Dell would be a better choice? Also, I'm done "building" my computers for now, so I won't be doing that for this purchase.

the CNET article was from 4 years ago.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 am 
FTP Access

codenamepenryn wrote:
the CNET article was from 4 years ago.

troyoda1990 wrote:

:P

And that is an amazing quote jabster. Unfortunately, my sister who uses a laptop 24/7/365 won't ever have that issue...Maybe fertility problems, but that's another story for another day.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Buying a New Modern Computer        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Well, the CNET article is old, but it was once right, back at 2005, the AMD Athlon X2 processors actually had better performance then Intel Pentium D Processors. That all changed at Summer 2006, when Intel released the Core 2 Duo.

Top  Profile