BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 4h, 11m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5677MB of 10894MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
I'm playing Harry Potter COS on my laptop:
1800MHz Turion 64 x2 oced to 2070MHZ
2GB Ram
GeForce Go 6150 Graphics
Win 7 7000 x32

and normally i get about 50 fps from the game, but on occasion it drops to 15 fps and the game runs jerkily and slow. After about a minute or so, it returns to normal. Is there a way I can fix this, because it is rather annoying. Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
The laptop could be overheating because of the overclock, the graphics card could be overheating, or it could be struggling. Also, the slowness might be a program updating itself in the backround, or an antivirus program.

Try setting the system to its default speed, and move it to a cooler place.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 am 
Donator

have you defragged the hard drive lately? Do you have the latest patch installed? It could just be bad programming

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Well... I actually just defragged yesterday, and I had no improvement. even running at stock, my cpu/gpu run hot. My gpu actually got hot enough to boil water. Anyways, I ended up saving my game to go take the overclocking off, and when I reentered the game and attempted to resume, it plunked me here. Go figure. And there's nothing I can do to get me back to where I should be.

EDIT: here are some temps:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm 
Donator

i thought my computer was burning up... and its less than half that! are you sure your fans are on??? and get a dang laptop cooler!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 pm 
Donator

i think you might have a problem there. 100C is a little high, as zamadatix said you might want to check your fans are working and aren't covered in dust

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:04 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Anything over 70 degrees celcius for any sort of processor is close to breaking point. So yes, get it checked and don't play the games until its sorted or you might damage it even more.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Even with the cooler, just running basic apps like ffx gets it close to those temps. My fans are running, they apparently don't disperse the heat enough. I'd go outside. The laptop might like being in the 27F/2.5C New England winter, but I surely wouldn't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 am 
Donator

try getting speedfan and manually setting the fans to a higher value then they are at now.

also if you don't have a laptop cooler i suggest you get one, mos laptops like hem :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
zamadatix wrote:
try getting speedfan and manually setting the fans to a higher value then they are at now.

also if you don't have a laptop cooler i suggest you get one, mos laptops like hem :P.

I will try that.
PS:
nickenzi wrote:
Even with the cooler...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 am 
Donator

what type of surface do you run it on? is it high enough off a desk that air can get under it (if the vents are on the bottom)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intermittent Graphics Problem Harry Potter COS        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I tried the speedfan program, but it couldn't find any fans to change the speed of. Usually my laptop sits with the right side resting on my leg and the closer left corner on the couch. The far left corner (with the vents) and the entire middle are open to circulating air.

Top  Profile