BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 0h, 31m | CPU: 79% | MEM: 6272MB of 11078MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 am 
Administrator

Do any of you people know any good server side gallery system? I have tons and tons of pictures I'd like to sort into various categories and put online, but I have not found anything that has been good or easy to setup. Since I have so many pics (about 15k+) it has to be robust and good enough to allow me to define custom categories etc so I can sort it all up properly. I want to be able to run it on my own server since hell would be by long frozen over before I let some company out there host my precious data.

It would be even better if it was some kind of open source system, but commercial works fine too as long as it's a good system.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
funnily enough i've just finished confugring mine - http://plogger.timhough.co.uk

note, it isn't plogger at all - it's "Gallery 2"

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:41 am 
FTP Access

I ever did run a site with Joomla!. There are some great extensions for to get some gallery's and all of that stuff.
Example of some Dutch-tv website: http://videoenaudio.gouweloos.com/compo ... temid,243/

I don't have a idea what that guy used. As I get time I will ask him :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
If you like the one on my site (you only need to have thumbails with the _THB_ before the name of the picture and put them in folders).
And it's free:

http://spgm.sourceforge.net/

It's simple to use, just upload it, maybe adjust some code and create folders and thumbnails.
And it's done.

I find this the best version and easy and it's free, I have searched many of those gallery's but or they where hard to handle or they cost money.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
+1 for the Gallery 2 .. easy to use http://gallery.menalto.com/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
i usualy make my own with php and gd.. if your are fresh, we can hit someone up together.. i was planing on writting a new anyway...

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Online image database/gallery...        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm 
Administrator

Almost forgot about this post :| .

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have been looking at them, but Gallery 2 seems to be the closest thing I can see that matches my idea. The others has been either too custom or just too "old". What I needed was automatic thumbnail generation and as a little admin work as possible when adding new pics. I want basically just drop them into a new folder and let the gallery do the rest.

Ah well, I need to experiment some :).

To leonbollerup: That would be fun, but I know very little about php. I've done quite a lot with gd (through perl), but my php skills are... well... i can understand it somewhat, but not code. Making a new gallery would be a massive undertaking, and I don't feel I am ready for that. I just want something that can host a couple of galleries for me, some public and some private. Without too much fuss =). But if I need help with GD or PHP I sure know now who to ask! :idea: .

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]