BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 18h, 25m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 6682MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm 
Donator

I just got this laptop and I just found another one here. Which one do you guys think i should get? This will be my desktop + laptop for at least the next 3 years, and i love to play games.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 am 
Donator

Well, in the end nobody can tell you what is the best thing for you to do, only you know what you want/need.
That said, I'd go with the first one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 am 
Donator

the main differences between the two is that the HP has an ATI HD 3200 vs a GeForce 9300M GS and a much bigger screen. Also, it has HDMI output 8)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:09 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I have this one and it is great for games
http://nordic.computers.toshiba-europe. ... hop/false/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I'd go with the first. The smaller screen will result in increased portability, and the processor in the first is superior to the second in both speed and power management.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 am 
FTP Access

I would go with the first one if given an option between just those two. A 17" laptop is hardly a laptop. It's a desktop replacement. If you want portability, go with the ASUS. Graphics wise, both GPUs are pretty even (they're both integrated, so even if the HD 3200 is a bit better, I don't think it outweighs the extra weight and size, and the higher screen resolution will kill performance).

I wouldn't go over a 15.4" screen. They generally can be had with mid-end graphics cards at relatively reasonable prices (at about 650 USD, it's going to be pretty tough to get a laptop that comes with a decent video card. Integrated to low-end GPUs is about as good as it gets in that range).

However, after 3 years, it doesn't matter what laptop you buy, if you're into gaming, it will still be low end (how low-end is the question though).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Personally I would go with the first one just because it has Intel Core 2 Duo. AMD Turion X2 and other AMD processor usually get hot and I personally hate to have a hot laptop on my lap. But the choice is yours.

I would like to note a limited time offer: HP Pavilion dv6t Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz 16in Laptop (4GB/320GB/12-Cell) $718.99 w/ Coupon
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/148514

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm 
Donator

I am not an extreme gamer, but this laptop WILL be my desktop replacement. I think I might get the 17inch due to the fact that it has hdmi output, an External SATA input, and a few more features that i probably haven't mentioned.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 pm 
Donator

4512jth wrote:
I am not an extreme gamer, but this laptop WILL be my desktop replacement. I think I might get the 17inch due to the fact that it has hdmi output, an External SATA input, and a few more features that i probably haven't mentioned.

The thing is 99.7% of the time you'll never, ever, use them.

Also those HP's heat up like its the end of the world

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 pm 
FTP Access

4512jth wrote:

If it's going to be a desktop replacement, why not get a desktop?

How badly do you need mobility (consider an eeePC+desktop or other netbook)? If you need mobility, I wouldn't get a 17" laptop, period. If you plan on moving it from room to room in your house, sure, it would fit the bill (but then why not just get a desktop and leave it in one room?). If you're going to be leaving your house often for school and you're going to be carrying it long distances, you will likely get tired of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Quote:
14.1" WXGA widescreen LED display
With a 1280 x 800 resolution brings your movies and games to life.

This is simply a lie...

1650x1080 is a desktop...
-=-=-

Get the HP because it has a usable screen for all your document writing needs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 R2
I currently have 2 laptops lying around my house

Lenovo Thinkpad T61

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz
1gb ram
80gb hdd
14.1in with 1440 x 900 res
NVIDIA Quadra NVS 140M

Compaq Presario F767CL
AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.9ghz
3gb ram
250gb hdd
15.4in with 1280 x 800 res
Nvidia Geforce 7000M

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:34 am 
NVIDIA 9300 does better in 3D games.

PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
happy dude wrote:
4512jth wrote:

The thing is 99.7% of the time you'll never, ever, use them.

Also those HP's heat up like its the end of the world

I may be a little late but.

DO NOT buy hp. Only 3 months old and my laptop constantly turns off due to heat and gives me other issues. AND there is nothing you can do about it.

There is numerous lawsuits against them for this and other reasons.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 pm 
FTP Access

I have an Acer Aspire 9813. More of a desktop laptop really, with a 21 inch screen. Not the kind you easily carry around in your briefcase!!
But it performs beautifully. I am also not a great game player, but my grandchuldren seem to have no complaints when they visit and get on the web.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

Back to the original post, I think you'll have a hard time buying either laptop. The first one is now a 404 page and the second place has closed down.

Dead thread?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Need an opinion on which laptop i should get.        Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:07 am 
Donator

According to my interwebz connection one link works and the other says this deal is no longer going (so you may want to just google the name and find a deal).

Top  Profile