BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 22h, 49m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5952MB of 10848MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: What do you think of shops that give lots of 'free' things?        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I had a discussion with someone else before about this. It hasn't anything to do with betas or computers, but what do you think of that shops give lots of free things by products.

At the first point, it looks really nice to me. You know, going to a shop, buying something and getting lost for free or with discount. But when I think more about it, it is actually quite strange. I mean, where does the money come from, of all that free things. I think i will be happier if the prices of things go down.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of shops that give lots of 'free' things?        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Well. the shops here inflate prices, so they can afford to "give away" some stuff for free, if they buy those items cheaply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of shops that give lots of 'free' things?        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 pm 
zeehonden_3 wrote:
I had a discussion with someone else before about this. It hasn't anything to do with betas or computers, but what do you think of that shops give lots of free things by products.

At the first point, it looks really nice to me. You know, going to a shop, buying something and getting lost for free or with discount. But when I think more about it, it is actually quite strange. I mean, where does the money come from, of all that free things. I think i will be happier if the prices of things go down.

I think that the shops just raise prices a few weeks before, then start giving u free stuff to make it feel like value for money, but the 'free' stuff is really bad quality.

PostPost subject: Re: What do you think of shops that give lots of 'free' things?        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
There's a number of reasons why a shop might give things away free, or with a sharp discount.
The first is obviously promotion and getting people in the shop. Say you were to go somewhere to get something cheap, if you also had to get other things, you'd probably end up getting it from that shop, instead of from somewhere else. People are usually lazy even to the point of paying slightly more to avoid having to go extra places. This all generates extra revenue.

The second, far less common, is because storing items costs money, particularly things like Food which go off after a certain time. The quicker they get rid, the less it costs them. If something's being held in storage for a while, it's costing money. Think of the cost of preserving and securing a whole warehouse full of goods. You also have to remember that the item is taking space - that could be used for other quicker-selling and more profitable stock. After a while of slow sales, they'll lower the price to get things moving again.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]