BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 12h, 52m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5715MB of 10547MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:05 am 
FTP Access

So I plan on picking up an MSI Wind from my local Bestbuy in the next few days. I have a strong feeling that im going to just install WIndows 7 on it when I get it though :p However, if I install Pre-Beta build 6956 can I just update to the next build? Or do I need to reinstall it all over again :(

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
been answer b4 but to answer again Yes you need to Reinstall again

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I have an MSI wind, using it at the moment :)
Its running XP Pro and Mac OS X.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 am 
FTP Access

Same here man. Bought an extra gig of ram for it and a 320GB hdd. Partitioned it two ways and am dual booting XP and OSX :) Plan on installing Windows 7 tomorrow over top of XP, but only if I can get a key :(

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm 
How well is XP running on it? Also, OSX?

PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:16 am 
FTP Access

XP ran very well. It was quite speedy and didn't use up too much resources. The XP disc that comes with it is kinda retarded though. If you plan on making your own partition sizes with the XP disc that comes with it, then you are going to be disappointed. You have your options of All of the harddrive to XP, half and half, 40GB to xp and the rest to another partition, 60GB to XP and the rest to another partition...I ended up using a different XP disc, but the same key that came with the laptop.

OSX runs surprisingly well. Boots in less then 30 seconds. Runs with all graphical effects turned on. The battery life in OSX is meh though, don't think it manages the battery very well. However, its like having a Macbook Nano :p Audio works, built in webcam works, audio in/out jacks do not however :(

I just installed Windows 7 Beta 1 overtop of XP...im totally blown away by this. Every single one of my drivers worked in 7. Every single one of the apps I have installed also work. Im only using 550-600mbs of ram idling out of the 1.5gbs i have right now. I am totally convinced that MS has gotten their act together and will be kicking ass once they release the final version of 7. It seems pretty damn stable to me. Even though I have only been using it for a few hours now, I haven't had one error yet. I was atleast expecting some weird application compatibility problems or driver issues, but not one yet :) This is a good sign!

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm 
FTP Access

Ok, so i was dual booting XP and OSX before installing windows 7. Now, WIndows 7 has taken over the hdd, and I can no longer boot to OSX. The darwin bootloader was over written with what ever MS uses (/fags). So, I went to try to modify the mbr using my OSX disc. I went into terminal and typed the following: fdisk -u /dev/disk0. I had to do this previously to get the darwin bootloader to be the main bootloader with XP and OSX. However, this time upon doing it and rebooting, Windows 7 throws an error at me, and there is no darwin bootloader...what am i supposed to do? Why doesn't MS understand the concept of dual booting...

UPDATE: Ok, so i have used the Windows 7 disc to repair my startup options. It once again made Windows 7 the main os with no option to choose the other partition :( I then found an application called "EasyBCD" which is apparently very popular :) It worked like a charm. I can now access Windows 7 or Mac OS X upon boot up :)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:51 pm 
Donator

usually windows only needs to change the windows bootloader through boot.ini (which can be manually changed) and only holds 2 os's so thats probably where you ran into trouble.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
I don't really like Micro-Star's products. they kinda suck in my opinion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:45 am 
FTP Access

motherboardlove wrote:
I don't really like Micro-Star's products. they kinda suck in my opinion.

I respect your opinion. We all have our likes and dislikes. Its sort of how I hate ATi products, I have always had horrible luck with them. I am totally blown away by this Netbook and am totally in love with it :)

However, I think I may have discovered something quite interesting with Windows 7. My MSI Wind runs at a native resolution of 1024x600. Upon booting up the boot screen is the old Windows Vista green boot bar of boringness. I don't get the cool Windows 7 startup screen. However, when I run the exact same ISO file in VMware, I get the new startup logo for Windows 7! I think this has something to do with the resolution, but im not totally sure. I have tried updating the gfx drivers on my MSI Wind, but it is still the same....testing it out some more and can update shortly...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 am 
Donator

Personal advice to Zammadix: Bootloader configuration is presently done in the autoexec.bat file. The boot.ini file was used in Windows 3.x and 9x and is now redundant in Windows 7. Although a boot.ini can be found in computers running the Microsoft Windows XP operating system, the file is now defunct and can be safely removed.

To Bigern1990: Windows Vista and Windows 7 use the BCD bootloader. The last Windows version to use boot.ini was NT 5.2. There are quite a few tools for modifying entries in the bootloader such as ProNetwork's (Now failware, adware, shareware and more!) VistaBootPro and another product called EasyBCD. If you can boot into Windows 7 I'd suggest you give them a go at first, as they may provide some help in fixing the Win7 bootloader.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Bigern1990 wrote:
However, I think I may have discovered something quite interesting with Windows 7. My MSI Wind runs at a native resolution of 1024x600. Upon booting up the boot screen is the old Windows Vista green boot bar of boringness. I don't get the cool Windows 7 startup screen. However, when I run the exact same ISO file in VMware, I get the new startup logo for Windows 7! I think this has something to do with the resolution, but im not totally sure. I have tried updating the gfx drivers on my MSI Wind, but it is still the same....testing it out some more and can update shortly...

True, it does have something to do with the resolution. The new bootscreen is 1024x768, but if your screen is too small, it'll default to the old bootscreen which runs at 640x480.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
Bigern1990 wrote:

True, it does have something to do with the resolution. The new bootscreen is 1024x768, but if your screen is too small, it'll default to the old bootscreen which runs at 640x480.

Don't wanna be getting REALLY offtopic, but congrats Hounsell. You just did posted the 9000th post in this forum.

ITS OVER 9000!!

PS. 9001 post lol

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 am 
FTP Access

Hey!
I installed 7 on my Acer One, and had the same issue.
I was a bit disappointed, but meh, it's ok.
:)
Any way to get the new one??

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

As far as I know, there is no way to change it. However, I am ok with the way it is. I just wanted to confirm that I had the right build.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Getting an MSI Wind...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 am 
FTP Access

Bigern1990 wrote:
As far as I know, there is no way to change it. However, I am ok with the way it is. I just wanted to confirm that I had the right build.

Oh, you do... haha
I installed with the same DVD I used for my main laptop!

Top  Profile