BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 14h, 57m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5737MB of 10968MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Should I buy HP TouchSmart TX2 for Windows 7
Yes 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Wait and see 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12
 PostPost subject: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
HP has apparently released HP TouchSmart TX2 which support multi-touch and uses N-Trig, like Dell Latitude XT, but at 1149.99, it is a tablet that one can really afford. Additionally, N-Trig has released a multi-touch driver for Windows 7 which is available here: http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Multi_Touch

Here is the specification:
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor AMD Turion(TM) X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72 (2.1GHz)
Display 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)w/Integrated Touch-screen
Memory 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics card ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics with 64MB Display Cache Memory
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Personalization Webcam Only with HP Imprint Finish (Reaction)
Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard
Networking Wireless-G Card
Primary DVD/CD drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Last edited by Day2Die on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2 with Windows 7        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
I've been using the tx2500z (the non-multitouch version) with Windows 7 since PDC and it runs great! (everything is the same hardware except the display)

Though I would recommend that you make a few upgrades to that build you have listed

Go with the Turion Ultra processor (ZM-8x) its much better than the low end RM series.
And if you are going to be running x64 I would add 1 more gig of ram (makes it 4) for two reasons, 1, that way you get dual channel support which will boost your graphics card performance (HD 3200 uses system ram) and 2, 4gb is quickly becoming the standard for systems (and its not that expensive an upgrade from 3gb)
If you really want to be future proof (which if you are buying with Windows 7 in mind you probably do) I would upgrade to the Wireless N card, if you plan on keeping the tx2 for long enough it will pay off to have it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2 with Windows 7        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
@Luthian
Are you saying yours doesn't have a multi-touch screen or you can't get it to work under Windows 7?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2 with Windows 7        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
The tx2500z (the one I have) does not have a multitouch screen, Instead it has a Wacom Active digitizer and a resistive (passive) digitizer for touch.
The tx2z (the one you are looking at) has an n-trig duo sense screen (like the multitouch Dell notebook) and it does have Windows 7 drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2 with Windows 7        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Problem is that the driver above is for Dell Latitude XT. HP TouchSmart TX2 like Dell Latitude XT also use N-Trig technology, so I am wondering if the driver would work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:23 pm 
FTP Access

I would personally wait until Windows 7 is released. By the time it's released, the thing I'm concerned with (the graphics), should be upgraded.

64mb of video memory is pathetic, and I don't think it's enough to run Aero, although, if it uses system memory, it will use that as well. However, my concern would be lag in with Aero. If you can get something with more video memory, do it, just for Aero's sake.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Its the exact same gfx card as in the tx2500z and it runs aero perfectly and most (slightly older) games too. Look up the benchmarks for the Radeon HD 3200, last time I checked it was the best Integrated graphics card on the market.

(I know its not the best benchmark but In the Windows 7 Performance Index the tx2500 card is Scored as 4.1 (graphics) and 5.3 (gaming graphics))

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:29 am 
FTP Access

Luthian wrote:
Its the exact same gfx card as in the tx2500z and it runs aero perfectly and most (slightly older) games too. Look up the benchmarks for the Radeon HD 3200, last time I checked it was the best Integrated graphics card on the market.

(I know its not the best benchmark but In the Windows 7 Performance Index the tx2500 card is Scored as 4.1 (graphics) and 5.3 (gaming graphics))

I know the HD3200 performs nicely (for integrated graphics that is). My concern was with the amount of memory it comes equipped with. I think the minimum needed for Aero is 128 mb, but I don't know if that factors in turbocache/hypermemory, and I don't know if that 64 mb was with turbocache/hypermemory or not and if the requirement includes turbocache/hypermemory.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Yea, the display cache is extra, 3200 is currently assigned 1470 MB as "total available graphics memory"
And I don't believe that the 3200 in the older tx2500z has any display cache... that might be new on the tx2z

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows 7        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:24 pm 
FTP Access

I've heard there's quite a bit of problems with the tx2 in particular, so you should probably wait for the second revision from HP.

Top  Profile