BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 22h, 4m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 6295MB of 11122MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm 
Donator

I just ran a test at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com, and it said that I failed. I have only failed on the graphics card, though. Here's a pic to demonstrate my point:

Surely, judging the spec of my card, the one I've currently got is much better than that. It meets the Video RAM requirement by double and ticks all the other boxes, but because it's not a specific brand or model number, it fails. Will GTA4 still work on my PC? I would like to know because I'm getting it for Christmas. I have no intention of downgrading my graphics at the cost of £100 for one game. Unless there is some other feature or technical aspect to it that I am not aware of.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Your best bet would be to do a quick google search with your graphics card and GTA4 and see if anyone else has the same card (maybe in a sig on a forum where they say they play the game?).

Failing that, upgrade your card. My Radeon HD 3970 was only £130 and you can get it for £100 now, and at the time I got it (Feb 2008) it was one of the best cards you could buy.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm 
Donator

Heh, Just for kicks, I ran the test...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

I recently bought a Radeon 3850 with 512 MB of DDR3 for £60 and it's a great card, GTA IV runs very smoothly with maximum quality settings and 1680x1050 resolution, even Crysis is smooth with 2x antialiasing, a mixture of High and Very High settings, and the same resolution - I'd recommend you upgrade, you'll see a big performance increase in all games and cards are very cheap now (it's not quite the latest generation but it's cheaper to get that now and then upgrade to a newer one when games need it, than to buy the latest and greatest card now).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Alternatively, you could buy a 360. I did, after realizing that building a whole new system costs much more than an Xbox 360 does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:11 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Bender wrote:
Alternatively, you could buy a 360. I did, after realizing that building a whole new system costs much more than an Xbox 360 does.

And it would run better. From reading customer reviews, when they had the specs, the frame rate was slow, quality was naff, and wasn't enjoyable to play. On the 360, you're moreorless guaranteed it to work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
The quality (textures and so on) are much better on the PC then on the consoles.

You must decide, this will help:

1) If you are good in playing with the controller you can go with an Console but the graphics are lesser then on the pc.

2) If you are not good in playing with the controller, or just buy the console for this game and a few games only, then you should go with a new graphics card, this will help for this game and future game.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 pm 
FTP Access

Yep, if you've already got a decent PC then it's much cheaper just to get a new graphics card, plus games on PC cost a lot less than console games. And yes, with GTA IV the settings used on the consoles are apparently a lot lower than is available on the PC, eg traffic density, draw distance etc are all significantly higher on PC (provided you have a decent spec) as well as the textures being much more detailed (the game comes on two DVDs to hold all of the textures whereas I assume the 360 version only comes with one otherwise you would have to swap discs during play, unless GTA requires the version of the 360 that has the optional hard drive ).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:53 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
plus games on PC cost a lot less than console games

almost always 100% less ;), plus its much easier than modding your xbox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
I just tried this, and I am *shocked* at the results

The card I use is only a 128MB card, so how the hell it thinks i got 880MB is beyond me.

My advice WeirdEars - ignore the branding problem you had - it's rubbish.
And don't rely on it, it doesn't fully work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 pm 
Donator

Rioter wrote:

The card I use is only a 128MB card, so how the hell it thinks i got 880MB is beyond me.

are you sure you dont have a large amount of shared? (after all you have 2 gb of ram)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago build 34-had it :(
IF it can't run it can run with swiftshader, a Software Emulation gfx. Download Swiftshader, a software 3d rendering prog. I GUARANTEE it will run BUT NOT at a super nvidia 8800 gtx speed lol.

http://www.transgaming.com/products/swi ... 1_demo.zip

Unzip it, replace the DX9 dll's with the ones in system 32, or the sys32 direct x folder?

It should ask to overwrite, say yes and when its finished overwriting, reboot!

This works, I played cod4 with it on an intel 845G Integrated graphics P4 2.6ghz 256 ram. Played decently but lagged sometimes in fast scenes.

Good Luck and Merry Xmas

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

R.I.P EX OSBA Title :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:34 am 
Donator

im thinking about getting this just to see the lag on a computer that only passes 1 of the tests...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Rioter wrote:

My card is only 512MB NVidea 8800GT, but I can play well beyond the amount of RAM and not even loose and speed.
(Only the buildings appear a 2~3 seconds later.

Here:

That's the advantage of fast memory swapping.

And nothing is overclocked, it's all original.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:18 am 
FTP Access

WeirdEars wrote:
I just ran a test at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com, and it said that I failed. I have only failed on the graphics card, though. Here's a pic to demonstrate my point:

Surely, judging the spec of my card, the one I've currently got is much better than that. It meets the Video RAM requirement by double and ticks all the other boxes, but because it's not a specific brand or model number, it fails. Will GTA4 still work on my PC? I would like to know because I'm getting it for Christmas. I have no intention of downgrading my graphics at the cost of £100 for one game. Unless there is some other feature or technical aspect to it that I am not aware of.

It probably won't run GTA4. A X1300 (or X1550) is nowhere near the performance of even the minimum required GPU (7900/X1900 series). It may pass the required RAM/Shader requirements, but it doesn't mean its fast.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:35 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Ive just ran it,
Only my CPU and graphics card fails! :P

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
WeirdEars wrote:
Surely, judging the spec of my card, the one I've currently got is much better than that.

Sorry, actually it is not ....

you are running an X1300/1500 min is a X1900 even though your card has all the requirements ....

that said before I built my present box, I did not even meet the basic requirements for Fallout 3 .... so I turned all the eye candy down and ran it in a 1024x768 window .... I have a 19" LCD and I hate going smaller than default resolution ....

bottom line, you can probably run it fine ... just turn some Graphics Settings Down ....

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 pm 
FTP Access

GTA is... how to say... kind of a diva. A friend of mine, who got a C2D with 1.66GHz (Conroe), 2 GB of Ram, and a X1900 XT (a bit above the min requirements) was able to start the game, but it was unplayable (bout 8-10fps) at (800x600). And he encounteres some serious graphics problems like no buildings renedered and crap like that...

(It wasn't exactly fun to play, I imagine ^^ )

But you might want to try it nevertheless...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:16 am 
I failed all of them
except the os :cry:

PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 pm 
Donator

Rioter wrote:
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/1229893545.th.27482.jpg

says i have 2.7gb. What i don't understand about that site is the OS requirement, minimum is xp/vista but vista only gives you 5/6 instead of 6/6 what is the 'best' OS then?

edit: also i did the crysis one and got
Quote:
Minimum: 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz or higher for Vista)
You Have: 2.61 GHz Performance Rated at 7.80 GHz

hmmm i would like a 7.8ghz cpu

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:29 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
zamadatix wrote:
Rioter wrote:

are you sure you dont have a large amount of shared? (after all you have 2 gb of ram)

Unless DELL have conned me, no. It's a separate video card, that's what I paid for....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm 
FTP Access

They always seem to have some shared memory as well for some reason - this is what a 512 MB Radeon 3850 looks like:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:03 pm 
FTP Access

Shared memory is pretty much a basic requirement for any gfx card, at least untill such a time that they have enough on board video memory to cope with just about any demand (about 2gb-4gb). of course that might never happen due to the fact that games especialy are using larger and more complex textures. 512mb or even 1gb isn't all that much when you consider games like STALKER like around 3gb of swap space, of which ram would be prefered due to its speed performance over hdd.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:46 pm 
Donator

I installed it on my PC, and God it's slow. It's sooooo slow. I'm gonna trade in my copy for a 360 version and buy a 360. It'll be cheaper than a graphics card.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: GTA 4 Minimum Requirements        Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
WeirdEars wrote:
I installed it on my PC, and God it's slow. It's sooooo slow. I'm gonna trade in my copy for a 360 version and buy a 360. It'll be cheaper than a graphics card.

It's cheaper to buy another graphics card.

Top  Profile  WWW