BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 11h, 4m | CPU: 65% | MEM: 1985MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Laptop for 180 bucks        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:01 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Should i get it. It comes with Vista Home Premium, 1gb of ram, 160gb hard drive, AMD x64. I really don't know complete specs but it is fairly new and my friend needs money for ski school so he is selling it to me for 180 dollars. BTW it is a compaq.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:12 am 
Reply with quote
Seems pretty good acaully but it seems like its used...

find out what condition its in if its in good condition its pretty good I'd get it but its up to you if you want to spend your money.(I personally hate compaqs tho)

E: find out the graphics card


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:30 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
Do it


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:32 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Me and my grandpa are going to my friends house if i can get into contact with him tomorrow. He's loaning me 180 bucks as im short on cash right now but i was planning on making it a Hackbook lol. Good ol' osx86

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

Posts
2045
Seems like a good deal, I'd go for it.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Yeah i am. Just hoping he's home tomorrow.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:45 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

Posts
2045
constrictor wrote:
Yeah i am. Just hoping he's home tomorrow.

The copy of Vista installed on the laptop, is it legit?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:05 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:42 am

Posts
748

Location
Guelph, ON, Canada
it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:11 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Posts
3934

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
hypr wrote:
it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...
What's wrong with putting Windows Vista on a laptop? Windows Vista's fine on 99.9% of all laptops sold over the past three, or four years. I purchased this laptop in February 2006, a MacBook Pro, and it's been running Windows Vista fine ever since the CTPs.

Don't let the uninformed affect your decision, Windows Vista works fine on laptops.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:21 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
Derf wrote:
hypr wrote:
it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...
What's wrong with putting Windows Vista on a laptop? Windows Vista's fine on 99.9% of all laptops sold over the past three, or four years. I purchased this laptop in February 2006, a MacBook Pro, and it's been running Windows Vista fine ever since the CTPs.

Don't let the uninformed affect your decision, Windows Vista works fine on laptops.


Sadly, after two years, it's still word-of-mouth meaning that people still refuse to touch Vista with a ten foot pole.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
I don't mind vista. I mean i run it on my desktop with only 1gb of ram. However im prolly just going to make this an osx86 machine anyways and ill probably keep it on dual boot just incase.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:33 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:20 pm

Posts
214

Location
Kent, UK

Favourite OS
Windows 7
The only laptops that I know OSX really runs flawlessly on is some brands of netbook, running it on unsupported hardware can still be a bit flaky, unless you have a specific Need for OSX, I would recommend strongly against running it for anything other than the purposes of testing, dualbooting tbh just wastes disk space when Vista or even XP would run flawlessly on that machine

_________________
i7-2700K @ 4.8 GHZ, Kandalf LCS, ATI 6950, 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP, Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z, 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:11 am 
Reply with quote
happy dude wrote:
Derf wrote:
hypr wrote:
it seems like a good deal, Vista wouldn't really be my first choice on a laptop though...
What's wrong with putting Windows Vista on a laptop? Windows Vista's fine on 99.9% of all laptops sold over the past three, or four years. I purchased this laptop in February 2006, a MacBook Pro, and it's been running Windows Vista fine ever since the CTPs.

Don't let the uninformed affect your decision, Windows Vista works fine on laptops.


Sadly, after two years, it's still word-of-mouth meaning that people still refuse to touch Vista with a ten foot pole.



I think vista is WAY better than XP by SOO much. once i got my vista laptop I LOVED IT. easy to use, Fast (everyone said its slow as hell), and it works fine for me i'll never go back to XP no matter what


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:14 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

Posts
2045
Lets not go turning this into an XP V. Vista thread eh? I'm way to tired to argue about something like that.
People should use the OS that does what they want it to do, and what each person wants their OS to do varies from person to person, and so, there'd be something terribly wrong if we all used the same OS.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:22 am 
Reply with quote
I agree totally. it mainly depends on what fits you best and what you use it for.
And if we made this into a XP vs V thread it would be pretty long eh. lol.


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:40 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
So in conclusion, buy the laptop.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:44 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Well to my unknowing my other friend who wasn't gonna buy it ended up getting it ahead of me. So it looks like yet another good deal passed me.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:45 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat May 24, 2008 10:05 am

Posts
2045
constrictor wrote:
Well to my unknowing my other friend who wasn't gonna buy it ended up getting it ahead of me. So it looks like yet another good deal passed me.

That's a shame eh...


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:20 am 
Reply with quote
aww man that sucks :\

:idea: buy it from him lol :idea:


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:11 pm 
Reply with quote
buy a new one :o


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop for 180 bucks        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:32 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 am

Posts
890

Location
United States

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
constrictor wrote:
BTW it is a compaq.

Compaq computers aren't too good. I had a Compaq laptop with Windows XP Pro with a Intel Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM, yet it still runs slow because of the CPU... The CPU is is even older than the laptop itself(Laptop was made 2-3 years ago but the CPU was made in Jan 2003)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Laptop for 180 bucks        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Posts
2461
Thlump wrote:
constrictor wrote:
BTW it is a compaq.

Compaq computers aren't too good. I had a Compaq laptop with Windows XP Pro with a Intel Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM, yet it still runs slow because of the CPU... The CPU is is even older than the laptop itself(Laptop was made 2-3 years ago but the CPU was made in Jan 2003)
]

You cant blame a processor on a company. Pentium 4's were the norm in laptops a few years back, which was the stupidest thing ever done.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS