BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 20h, 44m | CPU: 71% | MEM: 5544MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: SATA Hard Disk Crash        Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:28 am 
FTP Access

My 250 GB seagate SATA Hard Disk crashed yeasterday(when i tried to start my system it just freezes during the BIOS detection on the part when it reaches my hard disk) it contains lot of important data is there anyway i can recover the data

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 pm 
Donator

try an external connecter? sata>usb

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 pm 
Donator

I agree with ______,

First, I would take the harddrive out, and with the SATA power cable still attached, power the machine on, if you can feel the harddrive spinning then purchase a USB -> SATA adapter and use that to see if another computer can see the data under XP/Vista/Linux/OSX (etc). If not then it appears your drive may be dead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:03 pm 
Donator

If the hard drive really is dead, there are companies out there that can get the data back if it is really important, although the cost of this is usually unfeasible (in the range of about £200 to £500 iirc) so this is only an option if the data is really important (i.e. irreplaceable and priceless) or you have loads of money.

But it's worth trying ___'s idea first. Drive enclosures are much more reasonably priced.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 am 
And then there's the old drive-in-the-freezer trick, put it in the freezer overnight, then try to use it again, you might get a couple of minutes of use out of it, long enough to copy the most important data...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:35 am 
Donator

512dev wrote:
And then there's the old drive-in-the-freezer trick, put it in the freezer overnight, then try to use it again, you might get a couple of minutes of use out of it, long enough to copy the most important data...

how does that help the drive read the data??? (im lost lol)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
zamadatix wrote:
512dev wrote:

Helps the disk platters loosen up and release the drive head if it's stuck.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 am 
FTP Access

Freezing only works if there is a crack on one or more of the platters, the theory being freezing causes the platter to shrink temporarily closing the crack. If your mobo supports hotplugging you dont need to source a sata-> usb adapter, it would just be a waste of money. Boot to windows and once the desktop is up plug in the sata cable and see if windows recognises the drive. If not, freeze the sucka and try again. You might want to freeze a couple of ice packs while you're at it to try and prolong the time you've got to get your stuff off the drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 pm 
FTP Access

thanks guys i actually didnt try any of your trick i just gave it for replacement under warrenty annd the guy there asked me if i needed the data so he somehow got all the data out and ill be getting a new hard disk in a week but thanks anyway

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re:        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
zamadatix wrote:
512dev wrote:

if it is failing because a chip on the drive card is over heating (seen it in older drives that are not grinding) and cause the drive to not be found .... so a deep freeze gives you more time for the chips to heat up.

the USB adapter is a perfect, I have one in my KIT .... also you can use "Caned" Air - the stuff for dusting PC's ... turn the can upside down, out comes a very cold liquid. can be used as a cooling agent .... please be careful where you spray it ... it would not do well to get it in the eyes .... frostbite and all that

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Re:        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:39 am 
Donator

RatPatrol wrote:
frostbite and all that

if you really want to have some fun with that stuff get a gelled mousepad stick the red stick extender thing in it (with a good deal of pressure but not as to break the woven material holding the gel in) and it makes a relaly odd shaped bubble on your mousepad hich goes away... if oyu dont make it so large it stretches..... :^)

Top  Profile