BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 20h, 24m | CPU: 84% | MEM: 6072MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: USB Flash drive knackered        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
No external signs of damage on close examination, but the drive won't work on any machine. I've had the drive since mid-2006, and used it regularly - might it have merely expired?

I hope not, it's got work on it that needs to be submitted tomorrow! Any ideas on how I might be able to access the files on it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:30 pm 
Donator

id report that it died as the most likely cause

if you really want to check on it open up its case and see if all the connections are still there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I have done, I don't just look at the case and say it's OK - the PCB and ICs and connections are all fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
And the moral of the story is keep more than one copy of important files as per our have you backed up recently topic.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm 
Donator

and ill be thinking about hitting the safely eject button more often myself...

*backs up thumb drives*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
So there'd be no way to retrieve the data that's on it?

Oh, by the way: after putting my glasses on I saw that a surface-mounted resistor is missing, but it looks to have been missing for a long time, so I don't think it's that that's caused it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:57 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
marktuson wrote:
So there'd be no way to retrieve the data that's on it?

Oh, by the way: after putting my glasses on I saw that a surface-mounted resistor is missing, but it looks to have been missing for a long time, so I don't think it's that that's caused it.

If it's not recognised on any computer then I think its safe to say its dead.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:35 pm 
Donator

Depends how much youve been (ab)using it...?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Arse.

That's all my work gone then; I'll just have to stay up tonight and try and redo as much of it as possible *reaches for bottle of Pro Plus tablets*.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

Regular use since 2006, I'd say you had a good run. I've had a few die quicker than that. I bought a few drives from Edge Tech Corp because of this; they offer a lifetime warranty. Design is somewhat lacking, but otherwise I've yet to take advantage of the warranty.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Thanks.

http://www.eprovided.com/usb-flash-drive-data-recovery.html - They can restore data from these things, and apparently my model fail quite regularly - but would I still stand a chance of being able to read it if it's expired? I'm worried that it having 'expired' may mean the memory circuits themselves have degraded to a point where they are no longer valid circuits - would I be correct?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 pm 
Donator

marktuson wrote:
Thanks.

http://www.eprovided.com/usb-flash-drive-data-recovery.html - They can restore data from these things, and apparently my model fail quite regularly - but would I still stand a chance of being able to read it if it's expired? I'm worried that it having 'expired' may mean the memory circuits themselves have degraded to a point where they are no longer valid circuits - would I be correct?

if i isn't picked up by the computer i highly doubt you'll get data off it. most of these tools are for data that got corrupted on a flash drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Recovering Data From Damaged Storage Devices        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 pm 
USB Data Recovery - Data Recovery

I represent eprovided.com. There are many misconceptions on this board.

We can recover from just about any type of damage there is, broken, no connection, run over, water damage, the device is cracked, shot through, blown up etc.

We can recover from any type of storage device and our success rate is above 95%, no matter what type of damage. Recovering USB drives, ipods, cell phones, hard drives, voice recorders, usb software keys, cars, memory on the main board of digit cameras or any nand chips, really anything that has data storage of any kind.

We can directly access the NAND wafer and recover the data if need be. Like I said just about anything. Most people search for companies that deal with USB Data Recovery. USB data recovery and all other devices can have a success at data recovery.

We can also deliver data via e-mail download links, I say this as many people around the globe send devices into us next day air and can still have the data delivered to them the very next day if they choose rush services and send it to us Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.

I suspect that helps, I hope.
:0)

USB Data Recovery
eProvided.com
Toll Free 1-866-857-5950
See us in Popular Mechanics Magazine

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Actually, if it was a problem with the "Flash Chip", a computer would still pick it up but would recognize it as malfunction or similar.

The problem it seems lays in the "Controller" chip itself, your Flash Chip is probably fine, but the controller chip is probably fried.

Edit: The website dude posted first, I am really getting annoyed at getting beaten lol :P

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm 
Alexsis

You are correct, many times the controller is bad, the NAND chips is almost always ok, we have dealt with 1000's of these and only less then 1% of the time is the data not recoverable. As stated we have above a 95% success rate. Issues are when the device has a cracked NAND wafer or a very rare NAND wafer, etc.

But all in all, the data almost always comes back when we have it in our lab here in Colorado.

Many think that if you plug it in and there is a "Device not Recognized" on Windows XP or any other system that the data is not recoverable. That's 100% wrong. If not recognized or if no connection at all, we still will recover the data in most all situations. NAND data recovery is here, don't let others you know give up, it is extremely possible to recover data with USB and other devices no matter what the issue.

Additional Note: If software does not work, and most all software is either terrible or useless, then let us know. AS mentioned dead connections or situations where software fails allows us a 95% or better chance to get your data back.

All Best Everyone
eProvided.com

Last edited by eprovided.com on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 am 
FTP Access

Wow, marktuson posts a link, and a rep suddenly shows up. That's what you call service.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 am 
Donator

Saarineames wrote:
Wow, marktuson posts a link, and a rep suddenly shows up. That's what you call service.

lol yeah why cant they be like that when you call up a company? instead you get a bot.... what a od world.

back on topic: the only thing i use my usb for is either messing around with linux or transferring files so i have it set that when its inserted windows just copies the data as a backup, really useful actually.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am 
Donator

try data recovery software on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am 
Donator

hypr wrote:
try data recovery software on it.

marktuson wrote:
Thanks.

how could data recovery software read it if his computer doesnt see it ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
eprovided.com wrote:
Alexsis

You are correct, many times the controller is bad, the NAND chips is almost always ok, we have dealt with 1000's of these and only less then 1% of the time is the data not recoverable. As stated we have above a 95% success rate. Issues are when the device has a cracked NAND wafer or a very rare NAND wafer, etc.

But all in all, the data almost always comes back when we have it in our lab here in Colorado.

Many think that if you plug it in and there is a "Device not Recognized" on Windows XP or any other system that the data is not recoverable. That's 100% wrong. If not recognized or if no connection at all, we still will recover the data in most all situations. NAND data recovery is here, don't let others you know give up, it is extremely possible to recover data with USB and other devices no matter what the issue.

Additional Note: If software does not work, and most all software is either terrible or useless, then let us know. AS mentioned dead connections or situations where software fails allows us a 95% or better chance to get your data back.

All Best Everyone
eProvided.com

So how much is it likely to cost to recover the contents of a 4GB Attache drive (in GBP, of course)? I'm talking about just the files presently referenced in the FAT. Also, how long would it be likely to take?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 am 
The best way to explain costs is this "Basic recoveries are under $100.00, if they become more complicated we would let you know in advance." More complicated can happen in so many different situations that it is very difficult to explain. Time is usually 5 days or less once received, rushes can be handled in less then 24-48 hours.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:24 am 
Donator

Except the OP is in the UK and it's not going to get to the US and back in like twelve hours.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:53 am 
Donator

Just out of curiosity, what model was the flash drive?
I've gone through so many flash drives, I've given up and have gone back to using RW CD's and DVD's, works out cheaper when you lose/break a flash drive every two months or so...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what model was the flash drive?
I've gone through so many flash drives, I've given up and have gone back to using RW CD's and DVD's, works out cheaper when you lose/break a flash drive every two months or so...

USB's are disposable now-a-day's (probably why they break so easy) - $10AUD gets you a 2GB Kingston USB drive.

I have two USB's - one is a Toshiba 2GB, my main USB drive, contains school work and such, but other crap.
I've also got a 1GB Sandisk which contains all my school work and nothing else. It's also in a different location should either USB go missing.

Maybe its a method some of you should adapt...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
My..how do I say it "Main" USB stick (512MB) has survived for around over 3-4years and hasn't faulted yet, infact I'm not even sure I have formatted it since getting it.

It used to be a MP3 Player until that function fried after about a year, but using it for a memory stick still works perfectly. :D

Naked stick...and it's been thrown around everywhere, submerged in a bath, stood on, rolled over with a office chair, and been to England and back with no problems. (H)

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile