BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 56d, 16h, 39m | CPU: 28% | MEM: 5732MB of 10917MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows explorer take about 3 min to load        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
hello guy am haveing a problem with windows explorer. it just started to happend like 45 min ago. when i start it up it go too the Welcome screen and just hang it take the explorer about 3 min go start-up. can someone help?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows explorer take about 3 min to load        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
MiztaInsane wrote:
hello guy am haveing a problem with windows explorer. it just started to happend like 45 min ago. when i start it up it go too the Welcome screen and just hang it take the explorer about 3 min go start-up. can someone help?

Did you install any software recently? I have some software on my laptop which makes it hang for about 60 seconds before explorer finally loads.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Go to run, type msconfig, then go to the Startup tab. There you will find a list of programs that will startup when you boot your PC. Untick the programs that you don't need, so they don't startup along with Windows. Be very careful of what you are ticking/unticking. Then reboot your PC, and there will be less programs to startup, therefore increasing performance. You can also do this in the Services tab, but I suggest you don't.

(By ticking I mean press on the box)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
hey admin no i have not install any software nor hardware changes. and i only have too program listen in start-up witch is Windows defender, audio driver and super ad blocker, and it was working fine for the pass week only too today it started. i have done the basic stuff to fix this like system restore, disable everything that start up wit the laptop, start in safe mood uninstall NIS turn off windows firewall turn off windows defender and so on but the problem is still there idk what it is. here my spec Windows vista home Prem 32bit 2gb of ram core 2 duo with centrino. but like i said i never had this problem before it just started like that

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Always newest but not this time
remove any recently sw changes & check how many programs you have on startup

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 am 
Donator

Hangs on the welcome screen eh?
Try changing your startup settings you you get the classic login window.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
jabster wrote:
Hangs on the welcome screen eh?
Try changing your startup settings you you get the classic login window.

not on the Welcome screen after the welcome screen go away a black screen come one that is where it hangs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 am 
Donator

Well, theres no harm in trying what I said anyway is there...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Reboot, hit F8 before Vista load up, and select "Last Known Good Configuration", may help, and you wont lose any SW settings if you're worried about that.

And go to msconfig and on the first screen, check if it's on "Selective Startup" or not, if it is on "Selective Startup", select "Normal Startup" instead.

If not, check to see in your network settings if a Domain is listed or not.

I've had this problem before, it's not Explorer, but a one of the SVCHOST services taking 100% of my CPU, the selective startup when taken off seemed to fix the problem, only happened on selective.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
jabster wrote:
Well, theres no harm in trying what I said anyway is there...

Hey thank for the reply I have try what u said still no go,

Alexsis, it's in normal start up and i had already try Selective Startup b4 so i'll try the f8 "last know good ..." to see if it work thank for all your help guys much appreciated :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
If msconfig doesn't work, maybe it is a virus that affected a file used to boot up Windows?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:32 am 
Donator

I'd run -

1) C(rap)Cleaner - http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
2) Defraggler - http://filehippo.com/download_defraggler/
3) Auslogics Registry Defrag- http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/re ... g/download

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 am 
Donator

Heh, I just realised, you never actually said what version of Windows you use...
XP SP2? SP3? Vista RTM? SP1?

Wether or not it solves the problem (I very much doubt it would) you should install CCleaner, great app.
Hows your PC hardware wise, you'd be amazed how many problems can be solved by cleaning the CPU fan...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:49 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Like mentioned, you failed to mention, what O.S., any specs or anything else we need to know.

Either way, CCleaner the computer first, that may help.
If Explorer still takes forever and ever, then in CCleaner, in tools is startup list. In there are any programs (excluding any services) which run when the computer logs in. Disable firstly anything you don't want or need (things like QTTask and that) and any programs you don't need to start on login.

Reboot and see if there's any difference

If you also mention what you have installed that's caused the problem(s) then let us know.

And do make sure you use an "effective" AV scanner (I don't classify AVG as effective, other's might but I do not)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am 
Donator

Rioter wrote:
And do make sure you use an "effective" AV scanner (I don't classify AVG as effective, other's might but I do not)

Either that, or stop looking at...

But really, to be any kind of help we need more details, have you installed any Symantec products recently?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 pm 
Donator

avast! A/V is free and does the job fine. Not too bad with mem. usage either, was one of the two A/V's I could run on my old laptop with 256MB of RAm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:35 pm 
Donator

Though its been years since I used it, NOD32 used to be pretty reliable and memory efficient, and from what I read it still scroes pretty well when tested...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
hey i did say my spec but here it is again "Windows vista home Prem 32bit (OEM) 2gb of ram core 2 duo with centrino" I had norton 360 install on this system because it pre-install, i then uninstall it with the norton tool and install norton internet security 2009 about a week ago and it was working fine for the whold week. thank guys for all your help if needed more detail just let me know

Edit - just ran Ccleaner and problem is still there i also try to do a system restore to the last system checkpoint and still no go.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:16 pm 
Donator

Ok, for starters, there are different types of RAM, DDR, DDR2 ect...
Now all you've really told us is your OS, your processor, and how much RAM you have.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
it's DDR2, anyhow the start up problem is fix i did the "last know good..." but now there a new problem when the laptop start up it don't connect to my network. i have to do it my self but that okey not a bigg. thank for all the help guys

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows explorer take about 3 min to load        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
MiztaInsane wrote:
am having a problem with windows explorer. It takes explorer about 3 min to start-up. Can someone help?

I had this same problem about a year go with Windows Explorer under XP SP2. This was a bare install of XP too: no AntiVirus, Firefox, iTunes, QuickTime, etc. After about a week, Explorer would take forever to load, about 3 minutes for the TaskBar and icons to appear. When Explorer would slowly open other programs (IE7, TaskManager, Windows Media Player 9) they would run fine. TaskManager showed nominal memory & CPU usage from Explorer.exe even while it was running slow. Also, I found nothing in msconfig that looked suspect.

So, I decided to reinstall Windows XP. That didn't do anything, so then I formatted the disk and reinstalled and never had the problem again.

/me never did figure out what was up. Especially with it being a fresh install of XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
MiztaInsane wrote:
it's DDR2, anyhow the start up problem is fix i did the "last know good..." but now there a new problem when the laptop start up it don't connect to my network. i have to do it my self but that okey not a bigg. thank for all the help guys

Glad that it worked, but also you may of just told us the problem at the same time on why it was taking such a long time to bring Explorer up...something was messed up with your Network Settings, which would possibly have an effect on your startup.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows explorer take about 3 min to load        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
milatchi wrote:
/me never did figure out what was up. Especially with it being a fresh install of XP.

Maybe there was something wrong with the partition in the HD that messed up Windows XP, or the HD doesn't spin fast enough.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Alexsis wrote:
Glad that it worked, but also you may of just told us the problem at the same time on why it was taking such a long time to bring Explorer up...something was messed up with your Network Settings, which would possibly have an effect on your startup.

Yeah i am thinking the something i'll be looking too it and let you guys no what i find out but thank again for all your helps

Top  Profile