BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 20h, 23m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6077MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: GTA IV for PC?        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 am 
Donator

Apologies if it's been posted, but there's a torrent floating around claiming to be the real deal, around 13GB in size.

Real? Fake? I don't know, I just can't go download 13GB to my box (although I am to another box)

More info on this torrent? PM of course

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am 
Donator

I think this is the real ISO, please PM me the link :P

The User "smiler16" have the game already too and he shows the DVD Content
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=378269

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:31 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, theres a topic on GTAF about it. Not long to wait anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Even if you download this from a torrent.

The PC version contains the Securom protection.
This version is less then in Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2.

In this version, you get an serial code, you need to activate it on the internet.
But unlike Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 you can activate it on as many PC's as you want, but it's bundled with your hardware and at your Games for Windows Live account.
If you're PC is NOT connected to the internet only the single-player is availabe and must be activated on another PC that has internet.

Also running GTA IV you also running 2 programs in the background, Gfwl and Rockstar Social Club.

But members of Valve, you don't need to buy the game in the store, it's also availabe on Steam.
But on there there are other restriction on the activation.

Most info from the dutch site:
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/57044/pc-versie-grand-theft-auto-iv-krijgt-securom-bescherming.html

But no need to download it, it will be availabe tomorrow in the US and the next day in the rest of the world.
But some country not in the US also sell them on 2 Dec.

EDIT:
Used Google translate to translate the page in english.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftweakers.net%2Fnieuws%2F57044%2Fpc-versie-grand-theft-auto-iv-krijgt-securom-bescherming.html&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&sl=nl&tl=en

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I've been thinking about getting this or Left 4 Dead... Choices, choices, choices!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:22 pm 
Administrator

The only restriction I know is that you need to activate it online, regardless if it's Steamed or not. There is no x activation limit or anything else. However any copy protection is just pure spyware, so I'll be using the cracked version anyway, even when I already got the original game. I don't like programs telling me what I can or can't run on my own computer... So before any of you install games that uses Securom or any other spyware make sure you make a ghost copy of your drive. I've fixed too many systems that got completely trashed by these copy protections (I call them customer protection, since it protects the companies from getting more customers).

And guys, no warez distribution on this board please.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
XX55XX wrote:
I've been thinking about getting this or Left 4 Dead... Choices, choices, choices!

get Left 4 Dead and get GTA4 on a console, i really think the console versions are much Superior

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 am 
FTP Access

Gmod1001 wrote:
XX55XX wrote:

get Left 4 Dead and get GTA4 on a console, i really think the console versions are much Superior

I agree. I couldn't get GTAIV to run on my PC on the lowest settings possible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:19 am 
FTP Access

im also gonna get gta 4 on my pc but i think it will run slow cuz my cpu is old (pentium 4) not old but its only 1 cpu not dual core

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
jeremydd wrote:
im also gonna get gta 4 on my pc but i think it will run slow cuz my cpu is old (pentium 4) not old but its only 1 cpu not dual core

Then don't buy it.

The game checks for the requirements, and if they are not good enough, the game will NOT start.
There is an online tester for it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:03 pm 
Donator

Theres no way in frosty hell I can run this game, but I will say that most PC versions of GTA games are a disappointment.
Its not the game play, the game play is fine, but no matter how good a controller you get the controls are never right...

Some games are console games, GTA is one of them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:53 pm 
Administrator

I disagree.

I find the console controls too inprecise, and you would need to bend your fingers backwards to be able to do some stuff I do easily with a mouse and keyboard. But I think that's just a matter of what you are used to. A console control is a big no-no unless it's arcade games or games where you don't need to press half the buttons at once.

Regarding GTA, I've enjoyed all of them very much. Even GTA IV. Unfortunately IV was a rush job to get a slot during the xmas shopping spree, but then again, which company doesn't do the same? It's all business. And there is already a patch in the making that will address most of the issues anyway.

So for any of you that loves the GTA series... get it for the console or PC, they are worth it. The good part about the PC versions is the scaled graphics. Even Vice City or San Andreas in 1920x1080 beats any console version of it. And eventually GTA IV will be able to run at that res too. And if you love the games BUY them to support the developers. I copy a lot of games myself, but I always end up paying for the good ones.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
mrpijey wrote:
Regarding GTA, I've enjoyed all of them very much. Even GTA IV. Unfortunately IV was a rush job to get a slot during the xmas shopping spree, but then again, which company doesn't do the same? It's all business. And there is already a patch in the making that will address most of the issues anyway.

It was just out today.
You get an notify when the game has an update.
It's very small, but I did not find anything new or improved.

(oh btw, really off-topic but about GTAIV)
I have the under 30 hours story line complete achievement. (cool).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:36 pm 
FTP Access

I've been playing GTA IV too - just to say that I haven't had any issues at all with performance and I am running with High textures (definitely worth having, things like signs and graffiti are really sharp with this whereas on Medium they are very fuzzy), 1680x1050 resolution, 40% draw distance (seems to be enough, still more than on the consoles I thinK) and maximum detail distance and traffic density (I'm using the -norestrictions switch as without that it puts seemingly pointless restrictions on the graphics settings and only allows me to select Medium texture quality). I don't even have a super-high end PC though I have just upgraded my graphics card as I saw you can get a Radeon 3850 cheap now and it seems a really good card, even Crysis runs very well on it.

The only thing I don't like is the shadows, at night and early and late in the day they are beautiful, but when it is the middle of the day and really sunny they appear really really grainy, hopefully someone will at least work out how to disable shadows (I tried setting shadow density to 0% but they don't go away) if there is no patch that fixes them. Other than that it's been good though.

Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
@vista ultimate r2:
How did you set the switch, i mean to wich .exe (gtaIV.exe or the launcher or the social club application)?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:32 pm 
FTP Access

The LaunchGTAIV.exe program, however it seemed to only work if you load the Social Club before then loading that shortcut (don't launch it from the social club as that won't load your shortcut) (could be different after the new patch though, I have just been using it that way since). I don't know why they put those restrictions in, it says I'm now using about 1 GB of a maximum of 500 MB (presumably worked out from it being a 512 MB graphics card) resources but it still runs fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, it worked, sort off.
I think I am going to stick with Medium.

With HIGH (I am using 1500 out of 491) the surroudings (buildings and so on) takes longer to load.
And it's not much difference between medium and high.

And for the patch.
You MUST install it and it fixes some problems, otherwise only offline play will work.
And it will prompt you when playing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:11 pm 
FTP Access

What CPU and graphics card are you using? I don't find it takes too long to load, occasionally things suddenly appear when they should have loaded sooner but I think that is just a glitch in the game as lots of people report that eg you turn around and then the skyscrapers in the distance appear. I think the High textures are worth it, I found with medium some of the details are not clear enough. Did you have your draw distance turned right up? That might be what is making it slow (with 40% it only says 1 GB used, it goes up a lot if you increase the draw distance so that could be why yours says 1500)

Yep, patch came out today and it prompts you to install it when you sign into LIVE in the game. Didn't really notice any difference except that the thing where it sometimes forgets some of your settings seems to be fixed, framerates might be slightly higher than before but it's hard to tell without the two versions to compare side-by-side.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I got my copy last week

It plays and looks good on my HP 1024*768 15inch LCD
and plays ok but looks [censored] on my Viewsonic 1440*1050 20inch LCD

Damm I wish I bought a better video card then my $150 NZD Palit Nvidia 9500GT

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
What CPU and graphics card are you using? I don't find it takes too long to load, occasionally things suddenly appear when they should have loaded sooner but I think that is just a glitch in the game as lots of people report that eg you turn around and then the skyscrapers in the distance appear. I think the High textures are worth it, I found with medium some of the details are not clear enough. Did you have your draw distance turned right up? That might be what is making it slow (with 40% it only says 1 GB used, it goes up a lot if you increase the draw distance so that could be why yours says 1500)

Yep, patch came out today and it prompts you to install it when you sign into LIVE in the game. Didn't really notice any difference except that the thing where it sometimes forgets some of your settings seems to be fixed, framerates might be slightly higher than before but it's hard to tell without the two versions to compare side-by-side.

CPU: Intel Quad-Core Q6600
Video: NVidea 8800GT 512MB

Mine say's 1500 with about 50~60.
I have turned it on 40%, and then the effect stays the same as you describe it.
But I never had the draw distance up to 100, in SA and below did (because they were lighter).
I have also done an benchmark, with medium, it would take a whopping 20% on CPU, 30% RAM, 97% Video (real memory, not shared, otherwise I have much more).

Example:

A building is there, and when I stay at the location and not turn away, it will appear more real in about 1~2 seconds.
But yeah, it's not bad at all.

They did really good stuff with this game for the PC (did not try the console version, 1) I dont like consoles, the controls and so on, 2) they are expensive and I only play games that come on PC and GTA).

All in all, I give this game an 10 out of an 10, best game I have everplayed, I have played it once already 100%, saved it, and then began again from the front.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:59 am 
FTP Access

Cool, yep, I think the draw distance in IV is quite heavy if you turn it right up, that's why I left it at 40% as it still seems enough even at that - I have read that if you set it above 22% that is more than the console versions anyway. In the rpevious GTA games the draw distance always seemed very low even set to maximum - I did try a hack for SA that increased it by 10 times and it was good except it made the game crash if you jumped out of a plane or off a tall building, drove off the top of a mountain etc.

I agree that it is a great game, I just finished playing for tonight - how did you manage to complete all the missions so soon though? :o I'm trying not to do them too quickly, I want it to last as there won't be another one for ages now! (also I'm exploring loads, trying out all the vehicles etc at the moment - looking forward to unlocking the rest of the city though!) I think they have managed to capture the atmosphere of the city really well though, it is very well done - it has the gritty feel of GTA III which I really liked back then :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I agree that it is a great game, I just finished playing for tonight - how did you manage to complete all the missions so soon though? :o I'm trying not to do them too quickly, I want it to last as there won't be another one for ages now! (also I'm exploring loads, trying out all the vehicles etc at the moment - looking forward to unlocking the rest of the city though!) I think they have managed to capture the atmosphere of the city really well though, it is very well done - it has the gritty feel of GTA III which I really liked back then :)

Well, not cheating (well, reading the Wiki http://nl.wikigta.org, the english one http://en.wikigta.org and official guide).
Also saving your self trips, take a taxi and SKIP the trip.

Also, play a bit smart, the missions on the first part are easy, "manhatten" is a bit more difficult, but then the last one, they are hard.
(tryed the last mission --> Revenge --> 5 times).

Also, for the under 30 hours, only the MAIN mission (story line count).
Other things, like drug delivery and so on, they don't count.
I am at them now.

And also one thing that helped, I was sick the last few days so I played a bit more then usual.

And about GTAIII, It's a classic now, try to play it again, after the first few mission you want to go back to GTAIV.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:52 pm 
FTP Access

Yeh, I suppose it would be do-able in the 30 hours if you did just the missions and nothing else - I'm taking my time though, I want to make it last! :) (somehow they're never quite the same if you play them through a second time, if I play the older GTAs I usually just go and cause some mayhem etc rather than playing through the story again, though I have done the story on GTA III a few times, I really loved that game!)

Last mission is usually quite hard, I remember it taking a fair few tries in SA and VC too (it was really annoying in SA, I spent half an hour getting in and out of that drug factory several times without too much difficulty but then losing them on the chase afterwards by crashing the car once and them getting away!)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]