BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 13h, 51m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 2265MB of 3957MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: What Started your love for betas        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
For me It was seeing some screenshots of Longhorn at winsupersite, I spent hours every night looking for a good beta site, then I found a torrent called Longhorn.Professional.Ultimate, I was excited wandering if it was Longhorn 5112, 4074, 3683 .etc I found that it was 3718, I then looked around on google till I found JoeJoe and after ages of looking for longhorn downloads (I found 4074) I found a thread of great help which mentioned here, so I got my 10 posts and now I have a small but growing collection of betas.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 am 
Donator

People love betas? In all seriousness, I may be one of the highest posters here, but I've only ever really tried a few betas.

8)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:46 pm 
FTP Access

I think we all have a little passion for some specific beta. Mine's Chicago, Windows 1.x , 2x and 3x
I've only tried a longhorn once (i just look at them and say :)). They are not my true love hehe, yet, I'd do lots for Chicago 34...
It's a funny world...
Lucky for us good sites like these one compile them for our future!
:)!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm 
Donator

I gues for me it was just how some of the piqued my interest how they looked before the final product/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:52 pm 
Donator

I was interrested in Games Alpha/Betas/Leaks, i started with Half Life and later STALKER followed, and now i'm interrested in the old Whistler/Longhorn Builds.
When you can try a Beta, you get a taste what the developers built during the Development Time

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:22 pm 
Staff

hypr wrote:
I gues for me it was just how some of the piqued my interest how they looked before the final product/

Same here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm 
FTP Access

For me its just being ahead of the curve with the current betas.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:40 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Mavericks
I don't like betas, and there are only 2 betas I have ever really tested... they are Vista RC2 (or 1) and WHS.. Not the best ones to be honest...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 pm 
FTP Access

For me it would be Game beta's, leaks, alphas and Windows 7 :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
I first got the Unpatched broken anon HL2 leak and was amazed that drove me to find more and i eventually found this site

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 am 
FTP Access

My interest for Windows betas started when I saw pre-beta screenshots of the then codenamed Whistler.

I guess what really grabs me is all the neat features you find in betas, but never made it to the final product. The big 3 on this for me is Chicago, Whistler (Including Neptune), and Longhorn.

I've always been into other betas/ Prototypes, for just about anything. It's really interesting what a difference there is.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
PDC03...

i was in awe of what was shown, i was all over Thurrots site which documented things rather amazingly...i was an XP user at the time...i followed a few "signs" and found my first Beta of longhorn, with help from a few friends...

since then i started collecting any info i could relating to Windows as a whole as well as building a collection of Betas, for me its more about testing things and running sumthin different then the usual XP, Vista or Win7...

and at the same time, i like the chase.....trying for hours/nights/days or years trying to find sumthin and once you find it...you almost get a rush from it...having people hand you things is nice from time to time (depending on the situation)

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
For me that was the Whistler builds with watercolor. I was searching for whistler (not pro-active) for 5 years long until someone at thehotfix gave me some because i was begging of one, but he gave me almost all the watercolor build(I was so happy!) 1 year later found this site and i registered myself as Whistler_fan. The End !

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:46 pm 
Donator

It's sort of looking at the progress of a program and how it got from A to B. I mean, the jump from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 is HUGE on terms of the taskbar, etc. and things like Chicago (particularly the very early builds) show you how they gradually developed the new interface we all know today. At least that's why I like betas. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
It's just seeing what tweaks happen going from nothing/old version to beta to beta to final version which keeps me interested. How the program progresses as time goes on.

That's moreorless what has kept me here (and wherever else I got a beta from )

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:25 am 
Donator

PDC'05.

At that time, I was just hearing and looking at screens and conceptual videos of "Longhorn". Then in late '06, I found OSBA, but it was offline. In '07 I got here and signed up as Windows OCManage, and here I am today.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:34 am 
FTP Access

I just like unfinished stuff.

That's all. Really. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP1
For me, it would be Dec 2004, when I discovered ToastyTech, Winhistory.de, Winsupersite and other sites like these which introduced me to the history of Windows. But I haven't really tried these versions (only Neptune 5111 and some Win 3.x builds).

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:04 am 
For me its just having the feeling of being one of the many people who get it b4 every1 else :P

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 am 
FTP Access

This is my story

i dont know longhorn . when im searching customization for xp (like vista sidebar or vista rtm logon for xp like that im also looking for customization pack) on crystalxp.net i found bricopack's longhorn inspirat :idea: and i google longhorn and now i first found longhorn build 4074 (also longhorn 4074 is my first beta build to download XD now im a windows beta addict im looking where to download windows vista beta 1 lol) the end

And now i am a microsoft Windows OS fan 8) 8)

Well wish i can visit the private server build (or something) to download beta builds
:cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:28 am 
FTP Access

For me, I started by downloading the Half-Life 2 Beta to compare it to the final game. Then I downloaded the Doom III alpha\STALKER alphas\etc until I found BA last year. Then I tried some Longhorn, then Whistler, then 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
The leak of Longhorn 3683 was what really started me off

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:44 pm 
FTP Access

A lot of the time I am interested in the interfaces/themes/boot screens. Just to see how they have changed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:11 pm 
FTP Access

My dad brought me home an original Mac OS X Developer Preview 2 disc from work, back in '99. Was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen, and for sure it's what started me off collecting. I still have the disc kept safe here.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]