BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 7h, 55m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 1779MB of 3135MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: new higher definition in youtube        Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:25 am 
Donator

you would not believe the quality of the new hd youtube added (havent seen anyone comment on this) it is 720p and runs quite nicely and im just amazed that this video is from the land of bad quality videos!

first watch this in normal quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7GgzAd3 ... re=related

then add &fmt=22 to the end of the url and see it in amazing hd wuality (normal hd at youtube is 18)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Wow, it even streams better than normal videos, it must have its own bandwidth, lol. Proper good quality though, 5 stars from me! (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:33 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
It's apparently been around for a while, just not widely known.

Looks good, but can't do jack all with AOHell giving me 1/20 the speed I pay for 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 am 
Donator

Wow, that does look very amazing, even compared to the normal "High Quality" link that some videos have below them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Very impressive. I've seen it become more popular recently.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Wow, thank you very much! It's really handy. Does it works by all the movies, and does the quality of the sound also increase?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah, the link to watch videos in HD quality has always been freakishly small that it's not very noticeable and I forget it's there when I watch the video. lol.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:34 pm 
Donator

zeehonden_3 wrote:
Wow, thank you very much! It's really handy. Does it works by all the movies, and does the quality of the sound also increase?

well it will only work on movies that have the normal hd button but you just add &fmt=22 to see if it works, also i believe it retains the same surround sound the original hd had.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:42 pm 
Administrator

It's a great improvement over the smallish bad quality Youtube usually is associated with. But it's not near "true" 720p. The bitrate is way too low and the artifacts can be seen. Understandable tho since it's streamed over the net. So for you people already used to 720p material remember that the quality is even better when the bitrate is up to spec. I myself is already spoiled with 1080p, so even 720p is a tad too low for me =). (I don't even watch DVD anymore unless I am forced).

Anyways, about time Youtube got better quality, and a major improvement it is.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:48 pm 
Donator

what they really need to do is fix hwo when you try to move the slider ona video it only goes onto certain spots (sometimes the spots are 30 seconds apart) that really bugs me :x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:00 pm 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
what they really need to do is fix hwo when you try to move the slider ona video it only goes onto certain spots (sometimes the spots are 30 seconds apart) that really bugs me :x
Yeah thats the only real problem. Quality of the video isn't the biggest problem on youtube either. The comment system needs to be removed from youtube.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

Famouss wrote:
zamadatix wrote:
Yeah thats the only real problem. Quality of the video isn't the biggest problem on youtube either. The comment system needs to be removed from youtube.

Yep that bug angers me too. As well as how if you click it'll start loading then jump randomly somewhere else...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
FTP Access

I didnt think it was possible for them to have such good quality ,considering its youtube and all.Im VERY impressed,good work youtube keep up the innovation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
jimdinger wrote:
I didnt think it was possible for them to have such good quality, considering its youtube and all.Im VERY impressed,good work youtube keep up the innovation.

Anything is possible with the power of Google. YouTube keeps adding new quality levels but I highly doubt they will be getting up to (even fake) 1080 anytime soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:13 am 
Donator

Luthian wrote:
Anything is possible with the power of Google. YouTube keeps adding new quality levels but I highly doubt they will be getting up to (even fake) 1080 anytime soon.

i think that is what they are actually working towards, the capability for 1080 video. after all we all know google doesn't stop when its moved 80% of the way from where it was when it started, it will go all the way i imagine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:29 am 
FTP Access

What they need to do next is update their player so that it uses the video card more efficiently.

I believe the way it's currently setup, it uses the CPU to do all the processing, instead of the GPU.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:46 pm 
Donator

with flash 10 just coming out with its support for gpu i imagine there probably thinking about it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm 
Administrator

zamadatix wrote:
Luthian wrote:

i think that is what they are actually working towards, the capability for 1080 video. after all we all know google doesn't stop when its moved 80% of the way from where it was when it started, it will go all the way i imagine.

There is no limit to what Youtube or anyone can do. The only limitation is the client bandwidth. If everyone had 10GBit connections then everything would already be 1080p uncompressed and streaming. You can't "fake" 1080p. It's either 1080p (content in progressive 1920x1080 resolution) or it's not. You can however manipulate the bitrate and lower it to save bandwidth, but that also lowers the quality of the video and introduces artifacts and blur. Of course new compression algorithms and forcing the client to use more processing power to decode the video raises the bitrate without increasing filesize, but that's about the only thing they can develop. And soon we'll have CUDA-enabled flash (or Silverlight) that will handle all the decoding needed since the GPU is much more powerful than the CPU when it comes to video encoding and decoding.

The future will tell. I still remember when my jaw dropped watching full screen 640x480 20fps low quality MPEG1 video on my Pentium 120MHz and ATI RageII video card... and that was eons ago. Today I can play full 720p HD video on my cellphone without a hitch =).

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm 
Donator

i was considering 1080p "all the way" becasue it comes to the end where its a good marketing item and the amount of people with monitors better than it makes developement and deployment pointless.

as a side question what would the limit for a normal computer be on bit rate?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:28 am 
The difference really is drastic, I was personally amazed by it. Recently they made the switch from "Higher Quality" to "HD" and now it's even better!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm 
Staff

I'm not the brightest spark, so can someone explain to me how it can be such good quality and take the same to load as the much lower quality video?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:38 pm 
Donator

Beta Freak wrote:
I'm not the brightest spark, so can someone explain to me how it can be such good quality and take the same to load as the much lower quality video?

they probably jut gave it a higher max bandwidth which was a bit high for how large the actual stream was so it loads faster than a lower quality one.

Top  Profile