BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 12h, 51m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 2213MB of 3675MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: cheapest way to get a touchscreen        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:49 am 
Donator

i've been looking at a few options for getting a touchscreen monitor (not a gigantic high def one just a normal monitor thats touch enabled) but i haven't found any way cheaper than 149.99 (overlay for 19" monitor) any of you had any better luck or advice?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: cheapest way to get a touchscreen        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
zamadatix wrote:
i've been looking at a few options for getting a touchscreen monitor (not a gigantic high def one just a normal monitor thats touch enabled) but i haven't found any way cheaper than 149.99 (overlay for 19" monitor) any of you had any better luck or advice?

I'm also interested in this :)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:32 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Got no advice but if anyone finds a VGA and a DVI 19" models i wanna know :P

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:44 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
You can find overlays for about 25 USD less...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:49 am 
FTP Access

I found some on newegg, but they're pretty expensive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 am 
Donator

It also would depend on the capabilities. Multi touch, sensitivity and so on. If you're somewhat handy you should be able to build a surface table for not a ton of money if you get your materials off ebay.

The thing that bothers me about touchscreens is their relative lack of longevity, monitors with built in touch. Tablets and surface computers work pretty well but that's mostly because they're in a fairly comfortable position to begin with. The human body isn't designed (pardon the expression) to do small movements with your hands or arms in front of you. Imagine using a keyboard without resting your hands and arms on something, then you add the added shoulderstrain from keeping your hands raised in front of you. It's a cool novelty but I seriously doubt it's usefulness.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:33 am 
FTP Access

ddew wrote:
It also would depend on the capabilities. Multi touch, sensitivity and so on. If you're somewhat handy you should be able to build a surface table for not a ton of money if you get your materials off ebay.

The thing that bothers me about touchscreens is their relative lack of longevity, monitors with built in touch. Tablets and surface computers work pretty well but that's mostly because they're in a fairly comfortable position to begin with. The human body isn't designed (pardon the expression) to do small movements with your hands or arms in front of you. Imagine using a keyboard without resting your hands and arms on something, then you add the added shoulderstrain from keeping your hands raised in front of you. It's a cool novelty but I seriously doubt it's usefulness.

That's why they should make these monitors swivel horizontally and lay nearly flat on the desk. I suspect that there are quite a few on the market that do this already.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:37 am 
Donator

Ambig wrote:
ddew wrote:

That's why they should make these monitors swivel horizontally and lay nearly flat on the desk. I suspect that there are quite a few on the market that do this already.

Only ones for sale I've seen doing this are wacom tablets. They have pretty neat ones with large screens but they cost a fortune and are limited in that they aren't multitouch and need pens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 am 
Donator

IIRC you can buy touch screen kits that go over the screen - I've wanted one for a while now but I've never really looked around for them

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:34 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
IIRC you can buy touch screen kits that go over the screen - I've wanted one for a while now but I've never really looked around for them

I've looked at kits like that, calling them touch is a little misleading. It's more like a poke and pray interface. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm 
Donator

ddew wrote:
happy dude wrote:

I've looked at kits like that, calling them touch is a little misleading. It's more like a poke and pray interface. :)

lol that's what i was thinking, anyone here at BA have a touchscreen?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Are you asking for just a touchscreen or multi-touch?

Touchscreen can only register one touch at a time and there are plenty at newegg.

Multi-touch can register register 2 or more point at one time. Only Dell Latitude XT and HP Touchsmart has it and both of those need drivers. Note that multi-touch in HP Touchsmart only works on Windows 7 as there is no driver for Vista at this time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:16 am 
Donator

Day2Die wrote:
Are you asking for just a touchscreen or multi-touch?

Touchscreen can only register one touch at a time and there are plenty at newegg.

Multi-touch can register register 2 or more point at one time. Only Dell Latitude XT and HP Touchsmart has it and both of those need drivers. Note that multi-touch in HP Touchsmart only works on Windows 7 as there is no driver for Vista at this time.

id like a multi and only use win7 but if the price is to high ill go for the cheap one touch

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
So far, only multi-touch monitor that is embedded into the computer is on the market. There are many standalone multi-touch lcd prototypes but those are not for sale yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:56 am 
Donator

I have a 12.1" TFT touchscreen display. Cost about $700 when I got it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
We use them at work on the tills and they're single touch.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 am 
Donator

:/, so whats the cheapest price for a 19" touchscreen i would be able to find without it being crap?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:42 am 
Donator

At least $100 for an overlay, and at least $300 for a monitor. At least. And this is the dirt of the dirt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:00 am 
Donator

hmm i think i might just get myself an overly then, went ot circuit city today they had a 22" touchscreen hoked up to a 64 bit dual core 2.6 ghz with 6gb ram - now thats just the world rubbing it in ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
you can build your own multitouch tablet with an old LCD, a webcam that is hacked up to see only IR light, and a IRtray that you place above the LCD... easy to build
Step1: take apart the LCD
step2: remove the protective backing from the LCD (so that light can pass through it)
step3: get a bright light or some LED lighting to either put in the sensor panel, or something like that so that you can actually see the LCD
step4: build a DFIR panel (peice of plexi-glass with a bunch of IR Led lights on the side)
step 5: google "homemade multitouch talbe instructions" and follow those for anything else (you will need some software to turn your webcam into an actual Multitouch device (i did it with vista, a cardboard box, and an old laptop... not too hard))

you may want to just get a cheap standard size (non-widescreen) tablet because it makes it easier to see the "touches"
if you want, make a whole desk that you can touch... it is really cool to mess with and tilting them are fun too...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 pm 
Donator

unless its one of or laptops we only have crt :( we have a good 10 of those though lol.

Top  Profile