BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 12h, 49m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 2217MB of 3617MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: religious freedoms        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:39 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Ok, so I was just debating the idea of GOD with someone on the IRC, and after some time, i was kicked by that person, not because i was swearing...
the message i recieved was "shut up"

Now, either one of us could have left easily, but both stayed, when both were saying that the fight was useless...
so, i must ask, who do you think won? the one who kicked? or the kicker?

Last edited by pizzaboy192 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I think you both lost, as you were fighting on IRC.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:50 am 
FTP Access

I think the only way for us to figure this out is if you possibly tell us what your situation was at the time? Did you save any of the conversation, because then we can determine who was wrong in the situation.

If anything, this user should have sent you a private message telling you to knock it off or whatever he had a grudge against you, you know? I think that would have been more appropriate. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
All aboard the Fail Train.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:55 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
PM me for the log, people should form their own opnions without me telling them what to think

Kyso!
(knock your selfs out)

Derf wrote:

lol, fighting in public is more fun... my fists are all beat up, but not from fighthing over God

Last edited by pizzaboy192 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
pizzaboy192 wrote:
link to the fight half of my irc log
http://wacker.is-a-geek.net/downloads/why_im_not_an_athiest.txt

Kyso!
(knock your selfs out)

Derf wrote:

lol, fighting in public is more fun... my fists are all beat up, but not from fighthing over God

I would say something about that, but inbetween the "WTF, did I just read that [censored]" and laughing with Ki's comments, all it would lead to would be another Bible and God argument.

Who won the fight? I think Derf said it pretty well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:04 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
thankyou for an honest answer....
ill be sure to avoid him in the IRC from now on...

be sure to check out my phony ad page on my site soon =P

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am 
Donator

It was a pointless waste of time. I quit because the "debaters" wouldn't be quiet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 am 
Donator

God, I remember this crap, I was still on the channel at the time.
Interesting, the thing's you didn't include in that Txt file...
Like all the pointless boring crap you said to clear the channel of everyone but Ki-Chi-Mi.
I also believe you had some sort of racially orientated arguement, that's not in there.
At any rate, there was alot that happened before the little snippet you give.

Also, much earlier in the day, after you last left, he was given permission to kick you if he ever felt the need to.
All that said, both of you should have let it go.
The point of this forum having an IRC channel is to bring the community together, not so you can have petty debate's.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
well... the only other part of that conversation was me suggesting that they have a minimum word limit for a forum post to avoid the random "lol" or "cool" or "l33t"

the thing that started it was me saying "i speak then i think" then he says "switch those around" and then i said "thank the lord for the delete key"

i know it was dumb, but also slightly humurous

MOD: you can delete this post now

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:13 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
MOD: you can delete this post now

I think there is a lot more discussion to be had out of this thread.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
then can it please be more than flaming?
i feel that there can be more things said about this too... but i also feel that it should be worth saying.

i would like to ask why he was given permission to kick me? what did i do that would be a reasonable reason? and some actual irc logs would be nice for that one too...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:20 am 
Donator

The IRC channel keeps log's of all activity, when Andy wakes up, we'll probably get to see them.
No offense, but I think the only reason you started this thread was to try and continue your agruement/gain supporter's.
He is entitled to his own belief's, and you to yours, you should each respect that.
That, and I don't think this thread should be locked before Ki-Chi-Mi has had a chance to tell his side of the story, which he currently cannot do, as it is 4AM for him.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:23 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
jabster wrote:
That, and I don't think this thread should be locked before Ki-Chi-Mi has had a chance to tell his side of the story, which he currently cannot do, as it is 4AM for him.

i agree...
i was just saying, he can have his opinion, but he could have left, instead of arguing out, and he could have asked me to leave, which i would have anyways...
i just feel it a tad un-necessary to kick someone because they dont believe what you believe. i had that happen at other sites, i have been banned for some dumb things i have said, and i really dont mind being kicked when there is a good reason, but i do mind being kicked when there is no reason for being kicked.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
pizzaboy192 wrote:
jabster wrote:

i agree...
i was just saying, he can have his opinion, but he could have left, instead of arguing out, and he could have asked me to leave, which i would have anyways...
i just feel it a tad un-necessary to kick someone because they dont believe what you believe. i had that happen at other sites, i have been banned for some dumb things i have said, and i really dont mind being kicked when there is a good reason, but i do mind being kicked when there is no reason for being kicked.

Then don't quote the good lord or the bible, god and etc in public posting, because that there will instantly bring a conflict of interest.

I do not go around and talk about my Non-Religious views to people, and I respect the religions that other people believe in, but I don't script in and comment on it with every chance I get and include it with every post I make (I.E Signatures).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:27 am 
Donator

You were having an agruement, of which you, ATM, both seem to be equally at fault.
Ki-Chi-Mi was an Op, thats the IRC equivalent of a moderator.
And to answer your original question, nobody won, that is not a debate you can "win"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:48 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Alexsis wrote:
Then don't quote the good lord or the bible, god and etc in public posting, because that there will instantly bring a conflict of interest.

so should i just stop saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes? should i take a sharpie marker to all american money i get my hands on and black out the word God?

i would like to voice my own opinion without getting it stepped on.

i really dont care what you think, but when you start standing on my opinion, i tend to try to back it up. i dont want to let any person knock me down, otherwise i wouldnt have even started this thread...

and your small comment about my sig, just dont read it, i am not forcing you to read it, nor am i forcing you to read anything i say in an IRC room...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:51 am 
Donator

Yes, you have every right to voice your opinion's.
You do not however, have the right to impose you opinion's (no matter what they be) on others.
Neither of you were voicing your opinion's in that IRC channel, you were having an arguement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
"Should i take a sharpie marker to all american money i get my hands on and black out the word God?"

That is your suggestion, not mine, I said "Don't quote", I didn't say go around and deface people's religions.

"i would like to voice my own opinion without getting it stepped on."

You voiced your opinion, I also voiced mine, whether it got stepped on or not is not the issue.

"i really dont care what you think, but when you start standing on my opinion, i tend to try to back it up. i dont want to let any person knock me down, otherwise i wouldnt have even started this thread..."

Starting a thread like this will bring obvious tension and conflict regardless of what good meaning you had in mind, you started it in the notion of others stating their own opinions on the situation, and because others deviated away from your's, you don't like it, tough!

"and your small comment about my sig, just dont read it, i am not forcing you to read it, nor am i forcing you to read anything i say in an IRC room..."

I don't care about your sig, it was just an opinion, if you don't like my comments, then don't look at them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:58 am 
Donator

K, a couple of things

1 - what started from basic discussion turned into a bitch fight (yes it was, and dont bother giving me [censored] because I'm religious too)

2 - you didn't win, neither did ki-chi-mi.

3 - a site which deals in BETAS usually isn't a place for religious discussion

4 - stop trying to push your beliefs on other people.

yesyesyes here comes the flaming

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:59 am 
well, im atheist. i think they should forbid all religions, more deaths than nazis and osama together...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:46 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
well, im atheist. i think they should forbid all religions, more deaths than nazis and osama together...

See thats retarded. Someone could come along right now and say "forbid atheists cause they believe in no superior figure."

Long story short these are just peoples beliefs and they are neither right or wrong. This topic should be locked, I see an epic war coming

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:12 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:

Amen to that. Although your position isn't technically atheist, it's more antitheist. As opposed to mere disbelief you want to eliminate religion. Personally I'm in the "outlaw organized religion" camp, just look at the major conflicts in the world. A vast majority of them are two religious factions bashing eachothers heads in, the most disturbing one imo is northern ireland.

I'm not saying that all religious people are nuts, although believing in stuff without any proof or evidence and even proof of the opposite qualifies one as stupid. I say remove organized religion from the equation, people can believe whatever they want but there's no way you'll get respect from me just because of that and I refuse to "be respectful" towards religion if they can't be respectful towards my atheism and go around claiming I will burn in eternal hellfire etc.

Last edited by ddew on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:18 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
link to the fight half of my irc log
http://wacker.is-a-geek.net/downloads/why_im_not_an_athiest.txt

Kyso!
(knock your selfs out)

Just in case someone wants to read the full 20min IRC conversation, including the part's Pizzaboy192 is trying to hide...
Towards the end, a member of this forum was breifly flamed, I replaced his name with [Billy]

Now if anyone wants to argue semantic's, in the last dozen or so lines you can see Ki-Chi-Mi tries to drop the subject, but pizzaboy192 keeps it going untill he get's sworn at. That is as far as my log's go, when I reconnected a few minutes later, they both were offline.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
happy dude wrote:
Namronia wrote:
Long story short these are just peoples beliefs and they are neither right or wrong. This topic should be locked, I see an epic war coming

Agreed.

Religious Discussion should be kept elsewhere. We have enough fights over betas on this forum, without bringing fights over religion here as well.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]