BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 4h, 54m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5584MB of 11090MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: New members - a personal request from myself        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:18 pm 
Donator

READ THE GOD DAMN RULES

posting "didnt have this, thanks!" 50 times over, or posting other random crap WILL NOT get you into the Advanced Members group - aka, no Windows 7 for you.

Stop wasting your time by posting crap and stop wasting my time by having to read it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
*100% backed by this admin...*

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:39 pm 
Donator

The Forum Rules.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler

Suprised they havn't come into this thread and thank'd you....

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Last edited by IsaacD on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm 
Donator

(100% behind you)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New members - a personal request from myself        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
happy dude wrote:
READ THE GOD DAMN RULES

posting "didnt have this, thanks!" 50 times over, or posting other random crap WILL NOT get you into the Advanced Members group - aka, no Windows 7 for you.

Stop wasting your time by posting crap and stop wasting my time by having to read it.

Don't want to irritate you, but this is also not allowed.

Firt rule: Insults and Language.

And, I don't think people will look this forum more than the rule forum.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New members - a personal request from myself        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:29 pm 
FTP Access

zeehonden_3 wrote:
happy dude wrote:
READ THE GOD DAMN RULES

Don't want to irritate you, but this is also not allowed.

Firt rule: Insults and Language.

And, I don't think people will look this forum more than the rule forum.

I'm fairly certain if the post was backed 100% by the admin who runs the site that the post is fine. 8)

Anyways, I agree with reading the rules. Everyone who has joined here had to get 10 CONTRIBUTING posts to gain access and they had no problem with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

zeehonden has a good point. It could have been worded a little more tactfully. Those monitoring the site should be setting an example, not breaking the rules themselves.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:44 pm 
sorry

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Nobody post anything, ever.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/sear ... ootimestwo

My point exactly...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:43 am 
FTP Access

You'd think they'd be smarter and just leach off from winbeta irc... where you can just download without registering.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:45 am 
Donator

casablanca wrote:
You'd think they'd be smarter and just leach off from winbeta irc... where you can just download without registering.

And get away with calling yourself Bill Gates.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:24 am 
Permanently Banned

I have the perfect answer here:

New members who can't be bothered to read our rules, you can get your betas here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
do not think post a word like"thanks,sorry,omg..."Will be enter to Advance Member Group,

YOU CAN'T!!!!!!

Then,YOU can't try to join more than 3 TIMES, or andy permently denied you :P

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 am 
Hmmm how do you feel about:

Great rule thanks!

:D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:40 am 
Staff

Retell wrote:
Hmmm how do you feel about:

Great rule thanks!

:D

Are you taking the [censored]?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:41 am 
:( I thought it was a pretty straight forward joke.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:43 am 
Staff

oh lol i thought you were being serious.
sorry. :P
I saw you joined today then I instantly thought he is taking the [censored]. time for bed I think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:48 am 
Good NighT!

I hope this is a valuable post :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am 
FTP Access

Attention Active Members and Newcomers of the board:

STOP AND READ

Go ahead, and read the rules, but you won't grasp any concepts with them. Everyone needs to understand something. Including the staff:

Quote:
Dear Andrew,
I have noticed A LOT of negative remarks against many of the users and opinions of them lately on the boards. I am getting really sick of it and will leave if nothing is done about it. I take prototype exploration seriously, but there has been a lot of negative comments regarding my AlphaBetas project, ...... Another good example is the 1024x768 topic, in which it seems people are making fun of the fact that because I am blind, I shouldn't be using the smaller resolutions. ... even forced me to upload an image showing proof that I use the small resolutions.

... I understand you take discrimination seriously, and although it may have not been intentional by the active members of the board, I can see a start of a developing issues spur off. I know it all begins ... (remember andy_tek?), it starts with the newcomers, but we need to realize that not everyone is informed. This is where we should direct our members to the Wiki pages for information, rather than lazily telling them off to another source. By redirecting them to a Wiki page, we can easily keep traffic up on BetaArchive and newcomers on our website, rather than making them feel unwelcome.

... Well, one page to take note about "post spamming" would be the one about the joke stating about the blue dog and how someone got offended by it as an animal activist. There were two sides to the topic, one stating "Who cares, it's just a joke," and the other stating "This joke is immorally wrong and shouldn't have been told." Obviously, I think it's up to the member to decide what posts he or she should read, whether appropriate for the right audience or not. For example, if I were to start a topic based upon how much I love eating cheeseburgers and one were to become offended because cheese and meat comes from a cow and is a vegetarian, it's up to that person to decide whether to view the topic or not. I'm not sure if a lot of the members understand this concept. Therefore, they will start spamming it with useless posts to "increase" their count, in which they most likely will say "Fail" or something negative towards the topic poster's opinions.

I actually sent this email to Andy a few weeks ago, and this entry may be a good spot to open the up discussion first off, telling off the "n00bs" to the Rules is a good idea, but it should NOT be the only result. If you want to take action and be an active member of the board, you should take your part and help others get involved with knowledge they don't comprehend or understand yet. YES, Google exists, but it's also making us stupid (see this if you don't believe me).

By sending n00bs to Google to find the answers themselves, you aren't doing them any good. You are making them feel unwelcomed and unsmart. You should either provide them with logical replies or redirect them to a valuable source of information (including the Wiki). If you have a problem with someone, you should be reporting them to your fellow staff members, rather than publicly causing a flame-war to begin with a topic. If you disagree with a topic, then LEAVE. If you are offended, then LEAVE. You don't need to post "FAIL" to increase your count and make someone feel unwelcomed.

If you want BetaArchive to thrive and be a friendly and open place for everyone to come and discuss topics about prototypes, then play your part as an Active of the board. Moderators, you should be deleting posts of those that say "THANKS" or one worded answers, rather than posting an image of someone posting such entries.

THANKS!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I didn't make fun of the fact that you were partially blind, I didn't even know, hence the reason I asked "What are you, legally blind or something!?", if you took that as an insult, then my apologies.

Other then that...I have no comment.

Edit: And no one forced you to either:
troyoda1990 wrote:
longview wrote:
troyoda1990 wrote:
WORDS

This is a p. good fakepost.

and if you didn't notice squidward I was agreeing with you

Fakepost? WTF? I love using smaller resolutions because of my eye sight. And if you don't think I'm serious, I can upload a few screenshots of me getting work done in either 512x384 or 800x600.

I believe that original statement/post of "WORDS" was your's before it was deleted.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:05 am 
Donator

I think we all need to relax just a little bit.
Everything boil's down to the fact that a large amount of inexperianced person's are starting to discover the forum, and are behaving in a way that is putting more experienced member's of the forum in a bad mood, which is creating a negative atmosphere.
New member's need to slow down, and really think before they post, and more experienced members need to be encouraging this, before they snap.
That said, If you are coming to these forum's with the sole intention of gaining server access, and cannot see yourself ever posting after you do, then get out now, you are not welcome on these forums.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
troyoda1990 wrote:
Quote:

... Well, one page to take note about "post spamming" would be the one about the joke stating about the blue dog and how someone got offended by it as an animal activist.

holy [censored],

you guys actually took me seriously when I said I was an activist?

please.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:02 am 
Donator

troyoda, from what I've seen you have a tendancy to take everything seriously, such as the "people making fun" of you for your blindness, no one ever was making fun of you. You can threaten to leave, but most people will simply laugh at your empty threat and move along.

Oh and by the way, if it makes you feel any better, people do get warned and such for what they do on BA like I did for posting a "thread failed" image - exclusive, never before seen warning PM from Andy coming at'cha

Quote:
Hello,

This is just a quick word of warning about some recent posts you have made that would be considered "flaming". You know its against the rules, and you have been here long enough to know that I take the rules seriously, especially when someone complains that the problem hasn't been dealt with appropriately. In this case someone has contacted me to complain, and I am taking action.

Do not post images or text that can be interpreted as flaming. This is the only warning you will get, and next time it will be a ban.

I hope you take this seriously as I would hate to lose you from the site.

Andy (Admin)

ADD -
Quote:
Moderators, you should be deleting posts of those that say "THANKS" or one worded answers, rather than posting an image of someone posting such entries.

Last time I checked, ALexsis isn't staff.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next