BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 13h, 41m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 2215MB of 3645MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Windows Azure        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Is anybody here developing any applications that will utilize the platform?

It looks quite interesting and the SDKs let's just say are lost on the Microsoft Download Servers at the moment (:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 am 
Sorry a little non-relating, but what is Windows Azure? A codename or actual name.. because I've heard the name here and there and have always wondered.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
It's a cloud-based OS on: http://www.microsoft.com/azure/default.mspx

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:44 am 
Permanently Banned

jonttu wrote:
Sorry a little non-relating, but what is Windows Azure? A codename or actual name.. because I've heard the name here and there and have always wondered.

#1 it was known as midori before.

#2 hell no I will not develop for this crap. I'd launch stuff on EC2 or Google App Engine way before that crap, where you know, you can do more with it using decent languages :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:49 am 
Donator

Midori != Azure

Azure is based on Windows Server.

Also

Quote:
Windows Azure is an open platform that will support both Microsoft and non-Microsoft languages and environments. Windows Azure welcomes third party tools and languages such as Eclipse, Ruby, PHP, and Python."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows FW 3.11 on MS-DOS 7.10
Zimmy wrote:
it was known as midori before.

Wrong, Midori will be a cloud computing-based consumer OS using the Singularity kernel that is supposed to replace Windows in the future.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NeXTstep 4.0 Beta
Huh... that's interesting. Unfortunately, the idea of a cloud OS creeps me out. I actually am a tester for a similar concept called G.HO.ST and I am more likely to trust my data with them than with Microsoft.

Guru

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Techokami wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

Wrong, Midori will be a cloud computing-based consumer OS using the Singularity kernel that is supposed to replace Windows in the future.

Wrong again. I've seen nothing convincing to suggest that Midori will be based in the cloud, though I have no doubt it'll move more towards better integration with the cloud.
Also, it won't use Singularity's kernel, rather have it's own kernel developed using the same managed code/microkernel approach. Singularity's kernel is too far from a usable Client kernel to be used in a Client OS project.

Oh, and it's not initially intended to replace Windows as such, it's currently nothing more than a research project, though it will probably replace Windows if it 'works' as such.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 pm 
I dont know what I should think about Windows Azure...hope that MS will make a good thing ! ^^

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:41 am 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
Techokami wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

Wrong again. I've seen nothing convincing to suggest that Midori will be based in the cloud, though I have no doubt it'll move more towards better integration with the cloud.
Also, it won't use Singularity's kernel, rather have it's own kernel developed using the same managed code/microkernel approach. Singularity's kernel is too far from a usable Client kernel to be used in a Client OS project.

Oh, and it's not initially intended to replace Windows as such, it's currently nothing more than a research project, though it will probably replace Windows if it 'works' as such.

We can't really say much about Midori, it's so secretive... all we know for sure is that it's simply a research project using the Singularity kernel. There's been speculation that it might replace Windows, but as Mary Jo Foley said in a post before, the earliest possibility of that happening is after Windows 8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:35 am 
I thought that this was going to be included in Windows 7?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:09 pm 
What will be the os after windows 7?
(midori,cloud,azure...)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:19 pm 
Permanently Banned

Techokami wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

Disregard what i said I suck cocks.

I was under the assumption that this is what midori turned into as they were both cloud computing, also I had the thought that Midori was more or less of a Windows desktop so to say running on a cloud, but whatever.

Top  Profile