BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 17h, 25m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 2207MB of 3769MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Why was the OSBetaArchive shut down        Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
When the site was around I wasn't into betas, From what I've heard it was quite a good site, but why was it shut down, It was Microsoft wasn't it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why was the OSBetaArchive shut down        Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:57 am 
Donator

mewrox99 wrote:
It was Microsoft wasn't it?

No.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 am 
FTP Access

This was the reason why OSBA shut down.:

Post by Liebo on 2006-08-18 04:48:46 AM at OSBA

Quote:
The beta scene used to be about swapping information and sharing "secret" downloads between a few people, mainly “rebels” from IEXBeta. Now it's just a place where people with no opinion go and think they have one because they can sit at their desk and type flames away at people about anyone without thinking about the consequences of their actions.

They probably do this because they are safe thinking no-one will get at them unlike if they did the same at school or work etc, they would get the s**t kicked out of them.

OSBA has turned into a horrible place that doesn’t seem to hold any value to me anymore. I really used to enjoy OSBA, but now I just want keep away if you can understand me.

I’m sick to the back teeth of people having a go at the site and or it’s people. It gets even worse when people are passing my personal and private information around in IRC channels.

I feel that I can no longer support this site or contribute to it any further. The Admin team and I are currently moving the site to a new home with a new name. After the move, Grabberslasher and I will longer be part of the OSBA community.

More details will follow but as from 10pm GMT 17th August 2006, this site will be closed until the relocation is completed. The relocation is going swiftly. There will be some general tidying up of the site before being re-opened in it’s new home.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we have our own life problems to deal with and no longer wish to be dragged down even further by the events taking place on this website. I'm actually filling up with tears doing this I feel so bad.

I'm pretty sure there is a topic about this here at BETAArchive. I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it, using the "Search" tool is pretty handy:

* http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5182

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I thought sHARD>> was the admin of OSBA?

But yeah, it was ridiculous by the end of it, kids coming in just for the builds, and wars going on left, right and center. Andy has done well here, preventing this place fom going the same way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:54 pm 
FTP Access

marktuson wrote:
I thought sHARD>> was the admin of OSBA?

But yeah, it was ridiculous by the end of it, kids coming in just for the builds, and wars going on left, right and center. Andy has done well here, preventing this place fom going the same way.

sHARD>> was admin at OSBA. By the way, where is he?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I think he runs ClassicBeta, but he gave up on that, too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:18 am 
FTP Access

Liebo, Grabberslasher, and sHARD>> were the administrators of the forum. The staff also included a ton of moderators, a few IRC Chat operators, and I believe there was a Wiki Operator from 2005 on. The site was then closed down because of power, greed, and selfishness. Staff started to spread the database and "steal" it to create their own, and it became a forum tragedy. What once was a great forum for sharing ideas and operating system exploration, became a place for hatred, discrimination and slurs, and corruption. Liebo then announced the permanent shut down for OSBA, and from then on, everything was more than a memory.

During this period, many of the staff moved on to better things, but a few of us held on and decided to start a private conversation relating to the site's future. I still have the conversation saved somewhere, but as of now, it's missing. Thus, the idea of Glenda was born. It would be based off "Glenda, the Plan 9 Bunny," who was the mascot for Bell Lab's operating system. Accessing the main page would direct people to an information page about the operating system, but most of the staff would know of the hidden link to the forum. Everything related to Glenda was to remain a secret by all staff, and Liebo only mentioned it to everyone on OSBA as the "new name."

The "new name," known as Glenda, was OSBA's main database, but make extensively private to lure away n00bs and the people that caused the flame wars at OSBA. Eventually, it became ClassicBeta and the wiki was a highlight of the site. sHARD>> was the main operator of Glenda and I worked with him and a few others to organize how it would work exactly, along with keeping it private. Time passed, and people moved on, and people eventually continued on with their lives.

BetaArchive became the main forum for all OSBA members unofficially because of its increasing popularity, stable staff, and monitored database (although this can be argued in a few areas). The name even derives from OSBetaArchive, and many believe it to be the official OSBA, but in no way does Andy have any staff affiliation with OSBA. It was his own personal project, and he pulled it off very successively to this day.

In all honesty, I hate when people bring up "WHY DID OSBA FAIL?" because I was a part of it, and it's like an insult as a moderator when people still talk about why didn't do well, rather than its pros. OSBA was one of the largest forums to introduce great people with brilliant ideas, such as customizing operating systems to be better, and to provide people with a background of OS exploration.

If you would like to learn more about OSBA and its secrets, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
i would like to know more :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 am 
FTP Access

Me too. What year did OSBA start?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:35 pm 
Donator

Tilka wrote:
Me too. What year did OSBA start?

I think it was 2003?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:06 pm 
Around march the 17th 2003 from memory...
It took me 5 months to finally make a post, but another 8 before
finally remaining a part of the member list...
Back then, there were only a few sections of the forum where the
posts where considered contributing, & anyone with less than "X"
amount of posts were pruned every month, & had to keep rejoining
each time...
There was no "Kiddy Spam" posts, very few problem members, &
everyone was willing to share & help whenever possible...
That unfortunately, is a long lost memory of hope that keeps the
very few old members here, & one I don't see returning any time soon
in such a public place...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
marktuson wrote:
I think he runs ClassicBeta, but he gave up on that, too.

but at least the forum archive of OSBA(named ClassBeta now) is available now.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]