BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 0h, 19m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 6532MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Installing Windows & booting from some form of memory ca        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 am 
Donator

So yeah, the screwy P4 laptop I have has the option in BIOS to boot from PC Card (PCMCIA) instead of the HDD. I was wondering, if I got something like this (SD to PCMCIA) / (another SD to PCMCIA Adapter)
or...

this (CF to PCMCIA)

I'm not sure what I need (I know I need a memory card, be it SD, CF or something else) but I don't know what I'll need in terms of PCMCIA card to actually install Windows to a memory card and run from it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:33 am 
FTP Access

In case the memory card adapter does not need any specific drivers -- works like a PCMCIA hard drive, I mean --, and Windows is able to boot from PCMCIA cards -- which may work until the disk driver kicks in, and gives you a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error -- it would work. Though I suppose Windows does not have boot drivers for PCMCIA cards, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oh, and anything that has multiple slots/drive letters in a booted Windows probably won't work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm 
Mainly, some convertor module like those which has some complicated logic inside like some memory card reader SD/MS/SM to PCMCIA, your BIOS might not recognize it as a bootable device (not sure about CF, it maybe using the same IDE-compatible interface, so convertor for maybe doesn't use any complex logic). So, first you have to make sure, that the card and convertor which you are going to use are bootable for your pc. Try downloading some small LiveCD Linux distro image like Damn Small Linux(50 Mb) or Puppy Linux (50Mb) (those distros 100% work) install it to your flash disk with Unetbootin utility (don't forget you need to make it bootable from your flash - this utility automatically installs so). When you are sure, that your pc can boot from this particular flashdisk you will need to format it, then boot from windows install cdrom and try to install windows. Possibly (depends on model of pcmcia controller), for windows install to be able to find your flashdrive you will need to prepare a driver floppy for your pcmcia (oem setup, that's a long story) and insert it, when installer loads and writes something like "Press F6 to install SCSI disk drivers" (press F6 and insert that disk).

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 pm 
Maybe a tool like NLite or BartPE can help you ?