BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 41m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 2169MB of 3035MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: The Clue-Stick!        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:14 pm 
Permanently Banned

Seriously people, start getting a damn clue, the idiocy level around here has skyrocketed 200% and has far exceeded Sarah Palin's idiocy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Zimmy I'm afraid this kind of posting may palienate some users on this site.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 pm 
Permanently Banned

longview wrote:
Zimmy I'm afraid this kind of posting may palienate some users on this site.

If you're using that word in the definition i'm thinking of it's not intended to be related to the McCain/Palin campagin in any way (although it's widely known while she's smart in her own way, Palin is in no way shape or form fit to run this country, at least in it's current state).

This is ment for people to stop acting like such idiots.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 pm 
Donator

Hello...? Is this thing on? Yeah... I'd like a number two, large, with a coke. And could you also add a small chocolate shake? Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:05 pm 
Permanently Banned

RentedMule wrote:
Hello...? Is this thing on? Yeah... I'd like a number two, large, with a coke. And could you also add a small chocolate shake? Thanks.

/me craps in a bag, and hands it to you with a can of coke and a shake.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
oh hai guise can i has sum unleeked longhornz?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I have to agree with Zimmy, it's getting to the point where I can't come here and expect any level of intelligent discussion. It's mainly the fault of some of the newer members - seriously some common forum etiquette, and most of all, I can't stress this enough, think before you post. Stop demanding unleaked builds, no one owes you anything - stop asking the dumbest questions when you could as easily JFGI, and if you want people to take you seriously, take the time to just construct a well thought out post using basic grammar a ten-year old would know.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:36 am 
Donator

Derf wrote:
think before you post.

Also:
-Research Before you post
-Use the search function before you post
-Proof read your post's before posting them
-Learn High School Grammar and Punctuation
-If you can't spell for crap, get Safari
-In some cases, Google before you post eg. "what build longhorns has pretty see tru tingh"
-Contemplate the effect's your post will have on others
-Contemplate the meaning of the word warez
-Read the description of that [censored] Longhorn Concept video, before you come in here, and post half assed, [censored] up [censored], about how you Want/Need/Had this magical, wonderful build that never [censored] existed.
Its Just a concept video.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
Derf wrote:
think before you post.

Also:
-Research Before you post
-Use the search function before you post
-Proof read your post's before posting them
-Learn High School Grammar and Punctuation
-If you can't spell for crap, get Safari
-In some cases, Google before you post eg. "what build longhorns has pretty see tru tingh"
-Contemplate the effect's your post will have on others
-Contemplate the meaning of the word warez
-Read the description of that [censored] Longhorn Concept video, before you come in here, and post half assed, [censored] up [censored], about how you Want/Need/Had this magical, wonderful build that never [censored] existed.
Its Just a concept video.

I'd like to add "grow up" and "behave". Just because we're on a bboard that doesn't give anyone the right to be a complete twit, a-hole, threating people and just act nasty. The world lacks enough courtesy as it is, no need to bring on here as well. Anonymity is nice but come on, do you really have to overcompensate for being a nerd IRL by acting all "i'm a tough guy" here?

Disclaimer: I'm a proper geek/nerd and I'm fine with it. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 am 
Donator

-Contemplate how your post will reflect on yourself
-Use real/full words, no "cuz" or "yer"
-No numbers as letters, a.k.a 1337
-Check the date of the last post on a thread, before posting
-Read the forum rules
-Staff members ass's are for sitting, not kissing

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Zimmy wrote:
/me craps in a bag, and hands it to you with a can of coke and a shake.

Oh, you work for McDonalds?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:20 am 
FTP Access

Adapted from another forum, but this should give a few clues. Odd quotes because big blocks of quotes look weird and can be hard to read.

Before you ask a question here, first ask yourself if it's going to get you flamed like a pig on a spit. Think about what you're asking, think about who you're asking, think about where you're asking and above all think about why you're asking.

This is a place you can come for help with something or information about something and don't get me wrong, we all love to help, but we're not the free meal deal on a plate with free pull-back-and-go-toy solution. Read a book, google it, check wikipedia, ask other people, just... don't expect the answers on a plate.

I'm trying to be nice, I'm trying not to single anyone out or go on a blinding rant about how Mr X and Ms Y can't seem to think for themselves but please people, use some sense. If you can find an answer in 20 seconds on Google in a step by step format with friendly pointers along the way is there really any point coming here, waiting 2 days, then getting your ass chewed up? No, not really, right?

In the end though this doesn't just save everyone else getting irritated at you, it helps you too. What if this forum disappears? What if you no longer have the internet? What happens if everyone point blank refuses to help? You need to learn to find things yourself otherwise you'll be screwed when you need it most and we're not here to spoon feed you it. Oh yeah, and for you aspiring hackers out there? It comes with the territory, you gotta do your research and you've gotta do it well...

Bon voyage électronique.

The community here is polite and helpful if you treat it right and just like a fine classic automobile if you treat it right it'll serve you until you trash it. Remember to give it the right fuel (say the right stuff) and don't "grind its gears", you'll get along just fine.

How to get answers and not get shredded:

Ask politely and don't demand things:

People will help you if they can, just be patient. If no-one has an answer after a few days then perhaps bump the topic. If you still don't get an answer then either no-one knows it or you posted like an [censored]. Think about what you're typing, read it back a few times before you press Post. This will allow you to check the tone you're posting in and your spelling and grammar, it'll also mean you get to see if what you wrote actually made sense. I'm not a grammar nazi but if you start talking in txt spk or 1337 then we'll probably just ignore you.

Be clear in what you're asking and give plenty of details. We're not mind readers and we didn't know that you were using a PowerPC processor in the computer you were trying to fix and we didn't know you were trying to install OS/2 on it.

Don't ignore replies:

If someone replies asking for more specific information or with a possible solution, provide the information or thank them for the solution and if possible tell them it worked. It can be kinda irritating when people take the money and run, so to speak. If something's worked for you then post it (or point out the solution in the thread that worked) so others who have your problem know how to fix it.

Don't start pointless flame wars:

OS wars, text editor wars, game console wars, we've seen them all before, they're really tedious and no-one ever wins. If you don't like something then that's entirely your choice but don't insult someone because they prefer the competition's product.

What not to do/say:

Don't bust in like you own the joint:

This is a community forum and as such users are expected to work together. No-one automatically deserves more attention or respect more than anyone else be they newcomers or old-timers. Treat others with respect and remember that not everyone has your sense of humour. If you do unintentionally offend someone then you might at least apologise and if you repeatedly do it on purpose you may find yourself with a warning or a ban.

Don't demand or expect immediate answers:

No-one has to give you answers to your question or reply to your thread any more than you do to theirs. Demanding an answer yesterday is a sure-fire way to ensure you'll never get the answer, especially if it can be googled in a matter of seconds.

Don't ask us to break something for you:

Don't ask us to attack "you" to see if you're secure, we haven't got a clue if you own the machine(s) you're asking us to test. Could be anyone, and we're not going to screw over your ex-girlfriend's computer because she went off with your best mate. Real life problems stay in real life, don't bring them here. Don't ask us to help you recover "your" passwords either, there's plenty of tools and methods out there if you get stuck.

Don't expect people to help you if you won't help yourself:

We're not the free ticket to all knowledge. If you don't put work in to figuring out what to do with something then we won't either, it's a simple equation. If you expect us to give you a step by step instruction manual for something because you didn't read the readme file or because you didn't bother googling it then you'll just get yelled at for not bothering. Likewise if you're given answers and without trying them or researching them you demand them to be written in idiot for you, people will get pissed off with you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 am 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
A good read...

I love it, its just a shame common sense and etiquitte need to be explained to people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 am 
Donator

I vote BA's rules get wiped and replaced with moonlit's commonsense.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:08 pm 
FTP Access

I think that Moonlit's version of the rules seem more to the point and I also agree that they should be use to replace the ones one the original BA rules, (even though essentially, they are the same).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 pm 
Donator

-Be respectful.
-RTFM
-STFW
-Just beacuse you want something and you demand doesn't mean you get it and
will narrow your chances of getting it.
-THINK.
-If you can go do something quietly and on your own (i.e. not making a topic about it),
do so.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:12 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Lets stick to them Betas?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 am 
Donator

squidward_ wrote:
I think that Moonlit's version of the rules seem more to the point and I also agree that they should be use to replace the ones one the original BA rules, (even though essentially, they are the same).

Idea!
YOU read BA's rules first, and attempt to follow them, before you comment on them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:55 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Idea!
YOU read BA's rules first, and attempt to follow them, before you comment on them.

EXACTLY!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:16 am 
Donator

I think some of the mentioned rules make sense.

Also, it might be cool to filter what goes on the frontpage news feed (i.e. have a seperate feed for topics in the news folder?) or not include the Jokes section in the frontpage feed at all?

I mean, when I come here, and the headline thread is something along the lines of "what's blue then green? A dog in a plastic bag" it really makes me cringe.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Andrew wrote:

"what's blue then green? A dog in a plastic bag" it really makes me cringe.

That post was *lost* somehow.

It totally wasn't me

*shifty eyes*

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]