BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 8h, 1m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6178MB of 11306MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Old computer in a toy store and in bowling alley        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:02 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry I couldn't actually get a picture of it, but I noticed at my local Toys R Us store, there was a desk somewhere in the store and there was an old IBM computer that looked 1980's style that had something like DOS installed and there was an old Lexmark printer next to it as well. WTF would a modern toy store like Toys R Us have such an old computer?

Also, at my local bowling alley, at the front desk, there was 3 computers and all of them had DOS installed! Why do some places still have things that old?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 pm 
Donator

'Cause the software does what it needs to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:08 pm 
FTP Access

But a lot of buisnesses at least have Windows 2000 on their PCs if not Windows XP or Vista.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:16 pm 
Donator

Presumably the software is used for simple input/out-putting data like which lanes are booked and product checks so there's no need to upgrade their systems if they work fine as they are.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I've seen IBM Point of Sale systems used in stores around here before, some with pole displays and some with old 9 Inch IBM Monitors. I've also seen a lot of NCR Point of Sale systems here.

They just do what the user's want them to do. That's pretty much all you need for things like that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm 
Permanently Banned

OK at my very first job, we had an order entry system that was text based (not DOS, but rather using telnet into a SCO (later Linux) box to work with it). I for one am a very big fan of text apps but most people are not thus there was a lot of bitching about the system. Here's why people will never switch away...

You need to figure in cost, licensing software, upgrading terminals/workstations, the importing (and possiable conversion) of data, etc.

You need to figure in the training on new systems, and when dealing with something like Toys 'R Us you need to figure in training about 2000 managers which in turn will probably train 15-20 employees on the system.

You need to figure in the new equipment and the setup it will take.

You need to figure in all data conversion and what you will loose, which with TRS it will be a lot of data, they don't really delete the old sales from 1980's.

You also need to figure in why fix what's not broken?

When you look at this in the eye of business, it's not worth it, at all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:07 pm 
FTP Access

But I have noticed that whenever a new OS comes out like Vista, buiness and enterprises are usually the people that are the most hesitant about upgrading and if they get new computers after Vista has been launched, and they have Vista pre-installed, they will downgrade them to XP or 2000.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 pm 
Donator

who cares? :|

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:11 pm 
Permanently Banned

squidward_ wrote:
But I have noticed that whenever a new OS comes out like Vista, buiness and enterprises are usually the people that are the most hesitant about upgrading and if they get new computers after Vista has been launched, and they have Vista pre-installed, they will downgrade them to XP or 2000.

See my post above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 pm 
Donator

Simplest answer:
If a pc can still perform the task's required of it, then there is no immediate need to upgrade.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Zimmy wrote:
OK at my very first job, we had an order entry system that was text based (not DOS, but rather using telnet into a SCO (later Linux) box to work with it). I for one am a very big fan of text apps but most people are not thus there was a lot of bitching about the system. Here's why people will never switch away...

You need to figure in cost, licensing software, upgrading terminals/workstations, the importing (and possiable conversion) of data, etc.

You need to figure in the training on new systems, and when dealing with something like Toys 'R Us you need to figure in training about 2000 managers which in turn will probably train 15-20 employees on the system.

You need to figure in the new equipment and the setup it will take.

You need to figure in all data conversion and what you will loose, which with TRS it will be a lot of data, they don't really delete the old sales from 1980's.

You also need to figure in why fix what's not broken?

When you look at this in the eye of business, it's not worth it, at all.

Which is why I still use DOS as often as not; in many cases it's faster because there's less gunk clogging up the memory.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
FTP Access

I hate anything that only uses the keyboard and not the mouse. The first time I used a computer when I was 4 years old, that video game on it only used a keyboard, this was at the nursery I went to, but it is only just now they have upgraded the computers.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
Donator

The post office near here still uses DOS. They also use LCD displays. DOS on an LCD looks strange to me. Besides, I guess using DOS stops the employees from using the PCs for non-work related stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
marktuson wrote:
Which is why I still use DOS as often as not; in many cases it's faster because there's less gunk clogging up the memory.

8-)
Not only is there a terrible lack of drivers, (try using you digital camera) but almost all programs except basic word publishing do not exist in DOS...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 am 
FTP Access

At my job, all we need is a computer that can run "InTouch Kitchen Services," which is pretty much all touch screen based commands. The program requires USB connections (so, Windows 95 on), networking between all 3 computers and a receipt reel in the back of the store (so each station knows what needs to be made for the customer, and our credit card and time clock program. All of these are integrated and can run on Windows 2000 or XP (two of them run XP, and the other one runs 2000). Take a look at McDonald's next time to run in, and you'll see most of their "queued" food meals are text based, it's almost MS-DOS like.

So not all companies need upgrading. Some businesses don't even use computers, but just register computers that run a simple program, rather than allowing a million programs to run on them. This may be done to prevent their employees from playing games (Solitaire) or going online during work.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:27 am 
Donator

Seeing as were all saying the various place's we've seen legacy pc's being used in buisnesses...
I bought a pizza today, noticed the shop still uses the old DOS computers they got back in the early 90's
Don't see why any buisness really needs to upgrade, its not as if having an old computer is going to effect the taste of my pizza...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:49 am 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
The post office near here still uses DOS. They also use LCD displays. DOS on an LCD looks strange to me. Besides, I guess using DOS stops the employees from using the PCs for non-work related stuff.

Australia post? I think thats standard Australia wide... cause they use the exact same setup here... except I think they're installed with like Win2000 and running DOS or something...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:55 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
mdogg wrote:

Australia post? I think thats standard Australia wide... cause they use the exact same setup here... except I think they're installed with like Win2000 and running DOS or something...

I think the Australia Post workers deserve solitare, ya know, to stay saine
Last time I went into one of those places, they were having an arguement as to why you can't get clocks that go anti-clockwise.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
The Computers in the back section (Mail Sorting) of Australia Post run on Windows XP with a mix of Windows 2000 machines thrown in, they have Solitaire installed, but unless you get the chance to actually use the systems inbetween handling tens of thousands of letters packages a day then yeah, count yourself lucky.

Step-Dad works for them, I drop in every now and again to say Hi.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am 
FTP Access

I bet in 20 years from now, people will be questioning why computers are still using Windows Vista or Windows 7. :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:55 am 
Donator

squidward_ wrote:
I bet in 20 years from now, people will be questioning why computers are still using Windows Vista or Windows 7. :D

I'm pretty sure people will still wonder why they're still running DOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 pm 
FTP Access

I suppose DOS is OK if you want to do a simple task like typing a letter or something.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
squidward_ wrote:
I suppose DOS is OK if you want to do a simple task like typing a letter or something.

If someone, like a bowling alley or a retail store only needs to run 1 app, why bother upgrading to a GUI-based OS if DOS works?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

I was thinking maybe because using a mouse is easier to navigate things?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:31 pm 
FTP Access

squidward_ wrote:
I was thinking maybe because using a mouse is easier to navigate things?
Well, Microsoft did release "Microsoft Mouse" for the MS-DOS Operating environment. I believe I have a copy of Mouse 3.0 somewhere for DOS, and it enables programs like Edit, Qbasic, and MS-DOS Shell to have a mouse-enabled interface, rather than having a keyboard.

So if the business did want to use a mouse, they can with DOS! :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile