BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 0h, 14m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 3079MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: I am lactose intolerant in weekday mornings. What can I do?        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Basically, I get stomach aches when I drink too much milk. But for some reason, it only happens in the morning with milk, and usually the stomach aches happens when I go to school. Therefore, I have to drink small amounts of milk, but I don't get enough calcium. Yes, I know it's a common problem with people around the world, 90% of children in my ethnicity loses their ability to digest lactose. Is there anything I can do other than to buy lactase-enriched milk or Pepto-Bismol? Also, I drink milk in mugs if that helps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 am 
Donator

What else are you having?
Somthing could be curdling the milk in your stomach.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
This forum is mostly filled with alot of younger people, getting a proper or straight answer would be near to none.

Go see a doctor, but if you're worried in the short term about a lack of Calcium, just go to your local chemist and grab a Calcium Supplement, but a lack of Calcium in the short term is nothing to worry about for your health as it takes quite a bit of time for it to start doing damage, and if you're eating regually, then you're already intaking enough Calcium without the need of Milk in the morning.

What you described used to happen to me all the time in the morning whenever I went to drink my Coffee because of the milk, but it went away eventually when I eased back.

All in all it isn't a worry, your doctor will recommend you do take Supplement Pills and all will be fine, but it's best to talk to a Doctor then try and research health problems over the internet.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 am 
FTP Access

Alexsis wrote:
This forum is mostly filled with alot of younger people, getting a proper or straight answer would be near to none.

More importantly, this forum is filled with people who aren't doctors. So getting a good answer would be pretty hard. :wink:

In all seriousness though, you can get calcium from more than one source. You don't need to drink a gallon of milk a day, and you don't have to drink it in the morning. Try having a glass of orange juice in the morning and drink milk at night.

If you go lactose intolerant, there's not much you can do. You'll just have to drink alternatives. It's not life threatening and hardly life changing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
jabster wrote:
What else are you having?
Somthing could be curdling the milk in your stomach.

Nothing, when I wake up to go to school, I always drink a small amount of milk before I brush my teeth, then I go to school, because I have to leave at 6 o'clock in the morning.

@Alexsis, thanks for the advice. I don't have much access to my doctor though, so I'll gonna have to do excessive amounts of internet research.

@Ambig, yeah there aren't doctors here, but I'm not expecting any. :P Anyway, I know it's not life threatening. However it's really inconvenient to sacrifice stomach aches for less calcium or get stomach aches, but I'll try alternates.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 am 
Donator

So you skip breakfast?
I'm no doctor, but if your skipping breakfast, a calcium deficiency is probably the last of your problems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I'm actually not sure about that, but I could be. I have to wake up, and in 10 minutes, I'm walking towards the train(LRT) stop. I could eat breakfast in my school, but it'll cost me $2 everyday because I don't get free breakfast/lunch(which sucks because last year lunch costed $2, not it's $3)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:53 am 
Donator

I live in Australia, so the idea of eating breakfast at school has always seemed rather strange to me.
Is it legal to eat on a train in San Francisco, you could prepare yourself a light meal the night before...
If you are going to go to school hungry, try drinking alot of water to settle your stomach.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
From what you've said, I would say that you have a partial lactase deficiency. When you drink that milk in the morning two things happen:
1) it is not digested in your stomach because there is not enough lactase and so it proceeds to the bacteria can digest it and produce the unpleasant side effects of lactose intolerance.
2) the lactose also stimulates your body to ramp up production of lactase which allows you to fully digest the lactose later in the day denying it to the bacteria that would normally digest it.

So, you can do one of three things (if I'm right)
1) Just drink the milk in the morning and be ok drinking milk for the rest of the day,
2) Buy a commercial form of lactase (typically 2 drops of liquid) that can be added to milk right before you drink it, or
3) read this: http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agric ... lights.pdf and attempt rehabituation of the lactose digesting bacteria

(Note: I am not a Doctor, but I am currently studying for Med-School)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:04 am 
Donator

You should be able to get some form of medication which allows you to drink the milk without being sick. I know one of my friends is fully lactose intolerant and she can drink milk and eat related products cause of her medication. And you dont have to take it all the time - she takes hers some days before she drinks some form of milk based something (iced coffee :D)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 pm 
FTP Access

Well, look, when I was more less 16 I drank too much milk. About 1 1/2 liter a day, so, I got calcium problems, because I had too much calcium. The thing I'd recommend would be to go straigt to the doctor. :)
Listen to what he has to say. Also talk about it with your parents. sometimes they help us even if we don't like them to do so. Please talk back about your health!
Cya!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Chicago wrote:
Well, look, when I was more less 16 I drank too much milk. About 1 1/2 liter a day, so, I got calcium problems, because I had too much calcium. The thing I'd recommend would be to go straigt to the doctor. :)
Listen to what he has to say. Also talk about it with your parents. sometimes they help us even if we don't like them to do so. Please talk back about your health!
Cya!

His symptoms do not, in any way even resemble that of a calcium overdose, and unless you were taking in over 1500mg of calcium on a daily basis, I highly doubt you were overdosing (at least not to life threatening levels). His symptoms also in no way resemble calcium deficiency. What they do resemble is mild lactose intolerance, which is not a serious condition at all (and as a matter of fact is considered normal in almost every other mammalian species).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:40 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I second that Luthian's post.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:01 am 
FTP Access

Yes, I know he doesn't suffer from the same things I did, but, what I meant is that it's important to have everything checked up by a doctor, so as to discard something else...
:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:12 am 
FTP Access

How about just not drinking milk in the mornings? You aint going to die from not having cows milk in your diet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:58 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
How about just not drinking milk in the mornings? You aint going to die from not having cows milk in your diet.

I sure as hell don't eat breakfast (I'm not hungry and if I eat then It puts me out for the day) but he might be eating cereal...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Chicago wrote:
Yes, I know he doesn't suffer from the same things I did, but, what I meant is that it's important to have everything checked up by a doctor, so as to discard something else...
:)

I agree it's important, but I don't think I have to be checked by a doctor, because I'm only 110 pounds, and I don't eat a lot of junk food, and I eat cafeteria food that has healthy food along with a salad bar, and a carton of milk.(no, I don't get stomach aches after I drink it)

OG wrote:

I could, but teenagers need calcium, and unless I wanted to eat many slices of cheese everyday, I would drink milk, because one 240ml serving = 35% daily value of calcium, which is a lot.

jabster wrote:
I live in Australia, so the idea of eating breakfast at school has always seemed rather strange to me.
Is it legal to eat on a train in San Francisco, you could prepare yourself a light meal the night before...
If you are going to go to school hungry, try drinking alot of water to settle your stomach.

I'll try that eventually... Previously the idea of eating cereal in a train everyday seems a little weird. And no, I don't get hungry. And it is illegal to eat in a train, but I have never ever seen anyone get caught for doing that, because the operator of the train does not check, ever.

@Luthian, thanks for enlightening me about how I have partial lactase deficiency, I never would had figured that out :| :o Anyway, I'll start drinking more milk in the morning and see how that goes. And I'll check out the link later, I gotta go sleep.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:20 am 
FTP Access

Calcium fortified orange juice (or other fruit juices) will provide almost as much calcium as the same ammount of milk but without the lactose. An extra 1/2 cup of OJ sure beats feeling like crap for half the day. Or there is lactose reduced or lactose free milk that provides as much as normal milk. If those are no good then a tin of sardines every morning will see you right. Personaly I'd take the OJ though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
And it is illegal to eat in a train, but I have never ever seen anyone get caught for doing that, because the operator of the train does not check, ever.!

Why is it illegal to eat on the train? I know I am from the UK, but it isn't illegal to eat on the trains round the UK, in fact, they even have a carrage that has a snack bar and cafe in mos of the trains

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
squidward_ wrote:
Quote:
And it is illegal to eat in a train, but I have never ever seen anyone get caught for doing that, because the operator of the train does not check, ever.!

Why is it illegal to eat on the train? I know I am from the UK, but it isn't illegal to eat on the trains round the UK, in fact, they even have a carrage that has a snack bar and cafe in mos of the trains

I doubt its illegal like he said, probably just disallowed or subject to a fine if you do. It seems stupid to be arrested for carrying out a simple bodily function like eating!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:13 pm 
FTP Access

Well, I know the laws do vary from country to country. But in this country, I do know in a lot of coaches and buses, you aren't allowed to eat or drink.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 pm 
FTP Access

About the amount of calcium you need, as they mentioned it above, a glass of fortified orange juice would make it.
Other alternatives i see is to drink no-lactose milk (dunno how it's called, but here, every milk brand has it's own no lactose products as well)
Or, you could take a Calcium pill on the worse case. Don't know ant, but I'm sure you'll prefer one of the options above.
Greetz!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm 
I have a similar problem but it's only with cold milk, warm milk seems to go through my system fine. Have you tried having warmer stuff?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm 
FTP Access

Forum's aren't usually the best place to get medical advice (Unless of course it's a medical forum 8-)). If it worries you enough then just go and see your doctor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
No need, my stomach aches magically disappeared... :^)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next