BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 12h, 41m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5674MB of 10663MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: My internet connection        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE Build 2600 ;)
Hello guys i cant take my internet connection anymore im am going to get one of those wireless sticks. The question is can you share the internet conection from one of them if you have a dedicated computer connected to the internet, could you use a DHCP server on windows xp to share one of those connections through a router. (the reason im packing up my ADSL line is because it is just completly screwed it crashes, ive tried 3 different routers, each day the speed keeps on going down down down today speedtest is 300kbps download and 378kbps upload.) i cant take it anymore, 1 more questoin do you know what kind of speeds you get on them are they more than 1mb?, and also can you still foward ports eg for web servers etc.

Yours aye

Jordan Bryant

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, Wireless internet is Slower then cable or ADSL.

Internet sharing is creating a network bridge, select 2 adapters and then right-click, Bridge connections.

But at the router or the computer that serves DHCP must have an Wireless Access Point, otherwise it doesn't work (off-course).

And you can use and Webserver on an Wireless, but it's really not recommended because it slow.

And for those problems with ADSL, go to your ISP, they need to deliver what they promised you.

BUT DO NOT FORGET TO SECURE YOUR WIRELESS CONNECTION!!
Otherwise you can be hacked or even your neigbours use your wireless for Free and take all your connection.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE Build 2600 ;)
Ok Thanks

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The USB modems via the phone networks aren't very good. You should check if you're in an area that supports HSPA/3G access or you'll get 56K or lower.

Also remember you will have a cap of 1,3, 5 or 7GB depending on the stick and tier you get too, which isn't much. You can't host servers off it because its a shared IP for everyone, and you never get a "real" ip anyway because the software emulates a connection to the wireless networks. Pings will be very sporadic and about 5x slower than a standard ADSL or Cable connection too.

All in all if you just want it for browsing or e-mail, you're fine, but for anything else they're quite pointless. You're better off ringing BT and getting them to find out what the fault is on your line. Either that or change ISP as the ISP themselves might be changing your IP profile in the hope you don't notice and/or to save costs.

I think DJRob misunderstood what you were talking about, thinking you wanted to simply go wireless and not use one of these USB modem sticks.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Andy wrote:
The USB modems via the phone networks aren't very good. You should check if you're in an area that supports HSPA/3G access or you'll get 56K or lower.

Also remember you will have a cap of 1,3, 5 or 7GB depending on the stick and tier you get too, which isn't much. You can't host servers off it because its a shared IP for everyone, and you never get a "real" ip anyway because the software emulates a connection to the wireless networks. Pings will be very sporadic and about 5x slower than a standard ADSL or Cable connection too.

All in all if you just want it for browsing or e-mail, you're fine, but for anything else they're quite pointless. You're better off ringing BT and getting them to find out what the fault is on your line. Either that or change ISP as the ISP themselves might be changing your IP profile in the hope you don't notice and/or to save costs.

I think DJRob misunderstood what you were talking about, thinking you wanted to simply go wireless and not use one of these USB modem sticks.

I think I have, sorry for that.
But
Zorro wrote:
wireless sticks

This means mostly Wireless USB ADAPTERS, a wireless reciever for the PC.
They can have higher speeds then USB Modem sticks.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:13 pm 
Donator

Do you have ADSL or cable? If ADSL - Ring the phone company who provides your phone line (eg BT) and tell them there is a voice fault on the line.

If Cable - ring your ISP and say the line is faulty blah blah blah

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm 
FTP Access

So, if the IP address is shared amongst many people in an area using 3G, if someone did illegal activity on the internet, how would the police know who to blame?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:50 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
squidward_ wrote:
So, if the IP address is shared amongst many people in an area using 3G, if someone did illegal activity on the internet, how would the police know who to blame?

The ISP keeps a log of your connection and what you do on it, so thats pretty easy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I've checked my IP on my phone before, it returned 10.193.18.235 which isn't even an internet IP, its a private LAN IP, which proves correct what Andy said about you never getting a "real" IP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 am 
Donator

My friend has a 3G wifi connection for her house... she gets her own IP...
so does my phone (except it says I'm in another state :S)

Your Real DNS is: pa58-109-200-157.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au

oh and Callum: they use MAC addresses for a reason

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I have a 3G USB Stick with Bigpond for when I go out of state (2Gig Data limit...WOOT!), and I also get my own Seperate IP address while using it, the only one real problem was ping latency, and that was only a little higher then usual.

Downloading was around 2Mb/s, not quite bad considering I was staying right next to an Domestic Airport with alot of air interference.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 am 
FTP Access

But if the IP is sahred among many users, how will the ISP have any way of knowing EXACTLY who abused the service? Around 10 or 20 people could get into trouble at the same time!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:57 am 
Donator

squidward_ wrote:
But if the IP is sahred among many users, how will the ISP have any way of knowing EXACTLY who abused the service? Around 10 or 20 people could get into trouble at the same time!

Because everyone has a different MAC address - which you have too. Hint: its in all networking equipment.

Alexsis: Telstra suck but you can't beat them for wireless coverage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:18 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
squidward_ wrote:

Because everyone has a different MAC address - which you have too. Hint: its in all networking equipment.

But of course he'd known that had he read the REST of the topic because he'd already asked...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 pm 
FTP Access

So, its not just the IP address that can help track down somebody doing wrong on the internet, the mac address can help as well? I never even knew that! Thankyou! :)

BTW, is this how people still get found out even if they use a proxy? And also, I have notice a t-mobile advert for 3G services, (web n walk) and in the fine print, it says that it isn't even allowed to be used to provide Internet access for PCs! How exactly could they foind out if you are using it in a PC?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:12 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
squidward_ wrote:
So, its not just the IP address that can help track down somebody doing wrong on the internet, the mac address can help as well? I never even knew that! Thankyou! :)

BTW, is this how people still get found out even if they use a proxy? And also, I have notice a t-mobile advert for 3G services, (web n walk) and in the fine print, it says that it isn't even allowed to be used to provide Internet access for PCs! How exactly could they foind out if you are using it in a PC?

There are lots of ways to track someone. Even when behind a web proxy, your real IP is often still transmitted in the header and can be got at with a few tricks. The same trick is applied on my site at www.abyssunderground.co.uk/ip.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:17 pm 
Permanently Banned

Andy wrote:
squidward_ wrote:

There are lots of ways to track someone. Even when behind a web proxy, your real IP is often still transmitted in the header and can be got at with a few tricks. The same trick is applied on my site at www.abyssunderground.co.uk/ip.

why bother explaining [censored] to people who don't have a clue and refuse to get one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:44 pm 
FTP Access

So, say if I was some person who did something seriously wrong on this website, (not that I ever will of course), you would be able to track me no matter what?

(I don't intend to ever do anything wrong that is criminal or otherwise in any here of course!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
squidward_ wrote:
So, say if I was some person who did something seriously wrong on this website, (not that I ever will of course), you would be able to track me no matter what?

(I don't intend to ever do anything wrong that is criminal or otherwise in any here of course!)

seven proxies...

seriously though, there is always the chance you will get caught, proxies or not..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 am 
FTP Access

You ean that the people hosting the proxies might grass you up?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
squidward_ wrote:
You ean that the people hosting the proxies might grass you up?

they can if they wish..

Top  Profile