BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 16h, 4m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5770MB of 11192MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Massive Power outage        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
Hey i live in Canada and over on Vancouver Island, There was a MASSIVE power outage here, a power Sub Station blew and left us powerless, this outage spread to Duncan, it ended soon when they restored power about and hour later, Did anyone else experience a power outage?

it sucked because we had turkey in the oven and potatoes and such cooking for a big Thanks Giving Party,

we had to take out the Turkey and put it on the Barbecue to finish it lol

we had like 10 people over when this happened that is not good.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:39 pm 
FTP Access

I am from the UK, but sometimes, over where I live, the power sub stations blew up, and some areas of the town I live at were left without power, whereas at the school I go to, we were still able to use the electricity, but only to a limited extent, ie: we had to keep some lights switched off, and were told if we turned the computers on, the power would blow completely.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 pm 
FTP Access

I remember the power outage last winter up here.
Four words to describe that day: Best. School. Day. Ever.

It was second period, about 9:15. We're in the Drawing and Design for Production classroom. It's one of the only rooms in the school inside the school, with no windows or anything.

*Click*

The room fell into complete pitch darkness. We're all sitting there wondering what the hell was going on. All of a sudden, the teacher calls out "Does anyone have a flashlight?" Cue our entire DDP class pulling out their backlit cellphones. [Our school has a very strict no-cellphone policy, but the teacher even used mine to navigate through one of the equipment closets for some things.]

We had to move out of the dark room to the wood shop across the hall. We ended up all making paper rockets and shooting them from the compressed air tank under the school. And then we were shooting off pencils. And soda bottles. We were watching movies and sending movies to each other over Bluetooth - a bunch of us got together beaming Family Guy eps to each other to watch :P

Lunch was actually good - it was cooked for once instead of being nuked.

During lunch I talked with other students about the situation - they were in other classes that were strict beyond hell.

In the library when the outage happened - someone had just finished a 10 page paper, and of course, didn't save it. They couldn't even talk to each other. All they could do was read books. And we were in the wood shop shooting paper rockets.

We were in that second period class for the entire day until about 1:30-ish when we took off for 8th period.

During the day our vice-principal came into our class and warned us not to walk out of the school - their camera systems were still working. I held back from telling them that there was no way they could VIEW the cameras as the computers were all offline. Besides, over 50 people had already walked out.

But yeah, peoples' experiences depended on what class they were in when the power went out.

Also: Anyone remember the great northern ice storm of 1998 in Canada and parts of New York?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:02 pm 
FTP Access

I have noticed at places, especially at school, when the power goes off, people, especially the girls get a bit too immature about the whole situation. There is a big room at my school, the drama studio, where I have drama, and there are no windows and even better, the walls and the ceiling are painted black, even the carpet a dull grey colour. There are at least 15 other people in that lesson I go in + the teacher. Imagine what a disaster it would be if the lights go out because of a power cut, and everyone screams and runs around in the dark bumping into each other! :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm 
Donator

If I couldn't see anything... and it was pitch black, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't run unless someone was trying to kill me.

Anyway, I live in Florida, power outages aren't uncommon with all the weather here. I'm not saying they happen all the time, but every time a storm hits the power is bound to go out. I live a bit less than 10 miles above Charlotte Harbor, where Hurricane Charley hit and pretty much destroyed Punta Gorda. The power was out for a few days then, I think that's the worst it's ever been here. If we had been below where the hurricane hit it would have been much worse. I remember when I was a little kid and Hurricane Andrew hit we couldn't even see the streets there was so much water.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:05 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think that I would even move if I was in that situation! I would probably pss myself! :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
I live in New England and we get power outages every once in a while, but they usually last for no longer than a couple of hours. Also, I'm surprised that your school doesn't have a generator or at the very least emergency backup lighting.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Where I live, there are no power outages in my city unless one of those poles supplying power was knocked down, there was a wildfire, or something I can't describe. And neither of these happen that often, so I get blackouts about 1-4 times a year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:15 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
QuiescentWonder wrote:
If I couldn't see anything... and it was pitch black, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't run unless someone was trying to kill me.

Anyway, I live in Florida, power outages aren't uncommon with all the weather here. I'm not saying they happen all the time, but every time a storm hits the power is bound to go out. I live a bit less than 10 miles above Charlotte Harbor, where Hurricane Charley hit and pretty much destroyed Punta Gorda. The power was out for a few days then, I think that's the worst it's ever been here. If we had been below where the hurricane hit it would have been much worse. I remember when I was a little kid and Hurricane Andrew hit we couldn't even see the streets there was so much water.

I remember Charley, tough break, I was down in Punta Gorda, like 2 weeks after..it was insane :P, I got hit by Frances and Jeanne, it sucked. :P, Frances caused power outages, Jeanne just passed over like a light thunderstorm, OH!! Remember Ernesto? That storm cut through Tampa as a Tropical Depression :P. Fay was a bitch too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
WildEye001 wrote:
QuiescentWonder wrote:

I remember Charley, tough break, I was down in Punta Gorda, like 2 weeks after..it was insane :P, I got hit by Frances and Jeanne, it sucked. :P, Frances caused power outages, Jeanne just passed over like a light thunderstorm, OH!! Remember Ernesto? That storm cut through Tampa as a Tropical Depression :P. Fay was a bitch too.

wow you guys get Hurricanes more than a Rainy Day, (Exaggeration)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Well it was like this:

Charley,Frances,Jeanne,Ivan - 2004
Ernesto - 2005 or 2006
Fay -2008

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Don't forget Wilma... worst thing to happen to the tri-county area since Andrew.
Though I was only out of power for 2 days... everyone else in my neighborhood had to wait a week for it to come back on :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
TheWahbinator wrote:
Don't forget Wilma... worst thing to happen to the tri-county area since Andrew.
Though I was only out of power for 2 days... everyone else in my neighborhood had to wait a week for it to come back on :P

I was talking of Tampa Bay hurricanes, :P.

Yeh, Wilma did strike where Charley did. Andrew, cant say, I was -5 years old :P, Tampa was clear and my parents were barbequing that day O.o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:12 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I remember when there was no water supply for a day at my primary school. Although it meant no lessons, instead watching Chicken Run, we couldn't use any toilets and I had to stay to the very end because my mum is a member of staff there when everyone else got to go home when their parents turned up.

Oh and where we have PE, the changing rooms have no windows, just 1 door and light switches, so as soon as the teacher goes out, the lights go off and it turns into a crazy but friendly(ish) fight. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
missingno wrote:
Also: Anyone remember the great northern ice storm of 1998 in Canada and parts of New York?

I remember that! could't see 2 feet in front of you, made getting driven home from school a little more difficult, especially with no streetlights...

Best week off of school I ever got was the surprise October Storm awhile back, the upstairs where I slept wasn't as insulated as the downstairs, so I carried my mattress down while my parents barricaded the stairs. The rest of the week was exploring the fresh frozen wasteland, counting downed trees, and random snowman army building....

i leaned that night that if you take a coffee can, a roll of toilet paper (remove the roll), and rubbing alcohol, ad light it, it will produce enough heat to warm a medium sized room, and the paper wont burn!

FYI: storms like that get named like hurricanes do.

Top  Profile  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]