BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 8h, 17m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6047MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Broken Graphics Card...        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
It seems like my nVidia 8600 GT has broken down on me... I only bought it December last year :( I think its broken any way, If I plug my monitor into it the monitor says "No Signal", but if I plug my monitor into the inbuilt motherboard one it works... Has anyone got any recommendations for a sub-£100 card? PCI-E also, Would be nice if it can run Crysis :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:17 pm 
FTP Access

Did you do anything like flash the video BIOS, NOT to be confused with the motherboard's BIOS. And have you checked the card is seated properly?

Offtopic comment: I thought you had to have 750+ posts to have VIP access?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
squidward_ wrote:
Did you do anything like flash the video BIOS, NOT to be confused with the motherboard's BIOS. And have you checked the card is seated properly?

Offtopic comment: I thought you had to have 750+ posts to have VIP access?
You can also get into the VIP group by donating some money, but I don't know how much you have to donate.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:43 pm 
FTP Access

I think it is $5. But anyway, back ontopic. Leon, have you tried everything you can possibly think of?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 pm 
Donator

Hasn't nVidia had problems with their GPUs? I doubt just reseating the card is going to fix it.

I think Tom's Hardware does one of these every month, it should give you a good idea of what to buy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Bes ... ,2033.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
FTP Access

If possible, can't you try the card in another PC, or if it is still under warranty, get it either fixed or replaced. Did you notice anything unusual between the time you installed this card and when it only just recently failed?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
squidward_ wrote:
If possible, can't you try the card in another PC, or if it is still under warranty, get it either fixed or replaced. Did you notice anything unusual between the time you installed this card and when it only just recently failed?

I noticed that my computer kept making a really strange noise when being turned on (Only when it hasn't been turned on for longer than about 7 hours), I usually just banged it to get rid of the noise (Maybe that is it? Maybe it does need to be reseated?) I'm not sure if its under warranty -- Since I live in the UK, I'm meant to have a 1 year guarantee on all electrical products (I think), But I bought it from Germany on ebay, I can't try it in another computer as no others ones in my house have PCI-E (Only AGP :@), I'll take it apart now and try taking it out and back in, I'll post back when i'm done

Edit: Took it apart, Took the card out, looked at it, no visible signs of any type of damage, smelt it to see if maybe it smelt like it was blown, nope, took my TV Card out of the PCI bus (Maybe it wasn't getting enough power?) and put the graphics card back in, Still didn't work, the fan on the card is moving, but VERY slowly, I haven't tried to flash it, and I haven't modified my computer in any way to make it break (Worked last night before I went to bed...), I'll upload a picture of how it was set up (I think that may of caused it...)

Edit2:Image

Top card is my GC, Bottom is my TV Card, Maybe it was getting overheated due to the tv card? Unfortunately the only other PCI bus I could of used is where the fan on the GC is (Small mobo)

Edit3: It seems like all 8600 chips are faulty -- http://www.techspot.com/news/30823-all- ... aulty.html
Anyone know where I should go to get a replacement?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Is the fan stiff to the touch when you turn it? If so the bearings will have gone or got full of dust, which will make it overheat.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:16 pm 
Donator

It seems like you're out of luck, unless the card was new when you bought it. I have no idea how the warranty would work, just call nVidia and see what they say.

Otherwise, you should check this out (Best Gaming Graphics Cards for the Money: AGP Interface-October 2008): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Bes ... 033-6.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I would buy a nVidia 8600gts which are ~ 60 USD now...

I would:
Check for dust
Check power cables, try re-aranging them
Loop for any damage (even a small blob of leaking material)
-> Many parts in a Graphics card can be easily replaced; for example if you have a broken capacitor, you maybe able to replace it

Try to disable the video card BUT try to use its VGA/DVI output cable. Many times when something is damaged on the card you will still be able to get output if you disable the card via a Windows hardware pofile (although you will be @ 640x480)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm 

worst case scenario is you having to rma it good thing its less than 1 year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Broken Graphics Card...        Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:02 am 
Administrator

Leon wrote:
It seems like my nVidia 8600 GT has broken down on me... I only bought it December last year :( I think its broken any way, If I plug my monitor into it the monitor says "No Signal", but if I plug my monitor into the inbuilt motherboard one it works... Has anyone got any recommendations for a sub-£100 card? PCI-E also, Would be nice if it can run Crysis :P

If you got it December last year then you still have warranty on it. One year manufacturer warranty. Get it replaced (and sell the new one if you want it replaced with a better one) :P

And check if your system can even detect the videocard (Windows etc) and see if all power connectors are attached properly (not sure about if 8600 has any) and see that the card is seated properly.

Personally I would still get a 8800GT today. Sure there is the 9-series today, but they are only very marginally faster, uses more power and in some aspects they are even slower than the 8800GT. And 8800GT should be quite cheap today, even the comparable 9800GT is.

And if you want to play Crysis then you need power in your videocard. More power = more £ =) Or get two 8800GT/9800GT and run them in SLI. It does help with Crysis, but SLI doesn't automatically give you super strength in every game.

Edit: Seems other members were quicker than me to respond hehe.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

If he has the money to and a powerful enough computer that can handle them, he should get two of the new NVIDIA Geforce 200 series and put them in an SLI configuration.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
squidward_ wrote:
If he has the money to and a powerful enough computer that can handle them, he should get two of the new NVIDIA Geforce 200 series and put them in an SLI configuration.

I don't have the money unfortunately :( My motherboard only has 1 PCI-E slot too :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Leon wrote:
squidward_ wrote:

I don't have the money unfortunately :( My motherboard only has 1 PCI-E slot too :(

Not to mention nVidia card + Vista = a nasty unstable mess.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:38 pm 
FTP Access

How powerful is the PSU in your PC? I bet even if you had the money, you wouldn't have the money for a hoigh end PSU?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:44 pm 
FTP Access

BTW, Hounsell is right, my laptop has an NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100 video chip, and whenever I do something that triggers the UAC dialog box, the display goes blank for longer than normal, and sometimes, I randomly get an error appear saying that nvlddmkm display driver stopped responding and had recovered. That maybe OK, but any 3D apps that I am using crash! I never had this problem with NVIDIA drivers in XP! So much for the WDDM technology! :(

Also, NVIDIA are always saying about what a great experience you will have. Bah to that!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:24 pm 
Donator

Maybe you should update your video drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:29 pm 
FTP Access

Well, I tried, but the problem remained! :(

I have never had this problem with Intel/ATI based video cards under Vista! :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:49 pm 
Donator

Just update it every once in a while, eventually they'll work out the bugs. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't yet... how long has it been since Vista was released?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:40 pm 
FTP Access

I checked my computer manufacture's website and Windows Update, (since NVIDIA don't directly provide drivers for mobile based solutions), and there was nothing mentioning NVIDIA Geforce Go 6100! :x

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:02 pm 
Donator

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
hounsell wrote:
Leon wrote:
squidward_ wrote:

Not to mention nVidia card + Vista = a nasty unstable mess.

I run an Nvidea GeForce 8800GTS (at least an 8800) with Vista.

It runs more stable then my 6600 did with Vista.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 pm 
FTP Access

You need to download the modified INF file from here, that will allow the latest NVIDIA drivers to install on laptops - the situation is ridiculous otherwise, they seem to expect you to always use the hopelessly old driver that originally came with the machine otherwise!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:11 pm 
Donator

I'm pretty sure that the drivers have to be customized to some point for going to sleep/waking up the computer, etc. This is why they don't have a universal driver for laptops. I tried this INF thing before but if you don't get some of the settings right in the INF file it can cause problems. Nothing that's too serious, it's worth a try if you already have tons of issues.

Top  Profile