BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 9h, 54m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5976MB of 11107MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Bought a new router...        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:53 pm 
Permanently Banned

So my router died this morning. I could still access stuff but at very very slow rates. It's not the first time but then again I checked my firmware and noticed I had over 1TB of bandwidth transfer when you add it all up over the lifespan I've used it.

I picked up some Belkin router at WalMart, yeah not my first choice but I wanted to just get something and get it up and running. It was 40 bux and had everything I needed, so I bought it, took it home, hooked it up and I finally have full speed internet.

It has a lifetime warranty on it, which warranty's were what i was primarily looking at, as if another router breaks, I want someone else to pick up that tab.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:59 pm 
Donator

Lol i got 1TB in like a month :P.
God bless 1TB Hard drives for less then 100 euro :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bought a new router...        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
Zimmy wrote:
I picked up some Belkin router

Good luck with that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
Permanently Banned

tristan wrote:
Lol i got 1TB in like a month :P.
God bless 1TB Hard drives for less then 100 euro :P.

Actually most of the usage is streaming radio, youtube, and hulu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
I gotta belkin n wireless router and it works great for me. Much better then my dlink piece of ****.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:50 am 
Donator

I have an Ativa (which is made by belkin) and I have to say it is absolute SH*T! It doesn't have many features at all! Like milatchi said, good luck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 am 
Donator

The only thing worse than Belkin and Ativa routers I've seen is some "SoHo" router that doesn't have a copyright, no company name or address, no website, and no documentation in the box. The firmware was ripped off from Netgear.

I always opt for the cheapest router that supports DD-WRT.

www.dd-wrt.com

Which was Buffalo, now that they aren't sold in the US anymore it's become Linksys WRT54GS, it's only $50.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:11 pm 
Permanently Banned

QuiescentWonder wrote:
The only thing worse than Belkin and Ativa routers I've seen is some "SoHo" router that doesn't have a copyright, no company name or address, no website, and no documentation in the box. The firmware was ripped off from Netgear.

I always opt for the cheapest router that supports DD-WRT.

www.dd-wrt.com

Which was Buffalo, now that they aren't sold in the US anymore it's become Linksys WRT54GS, it's only $50.

I would flash OpenWRT onto a router if it wouldn't void warrantys. I really like DD-WRT but I like being able to just use a base OpenWRT and just throw on the packages I want, but then again as I said i'm sick of having to buy new routers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:36 pm 
Donator

If you're looking for an excellent router then look no further than Cisco. Their lower end is brilliant, the step up from their SOHO stuff. Slightly higher price but the capabilities more than make up for it. Integrated VPN, QoS, sandboxed VLANs, great security and insane stability. My Cisco 1800 series has been running non-stop now for 14 months with my 100mbit internet connection maxed out pretty much 24/7 without any issues. The IOS OS can be confusing at first but there's a java web-interface to configure it if you're afraid of the command-line.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm 
FTP Access

I have a Peak-hardwarw router, and it is OK, but sometimes, the connection randomly cuts off!

BTW, has anybody heard of this brand before?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 pm 
Donator

ddew wrote:
If you're looking for an excellent router then look no further than Cisco. Their lower end is brilliant, the step up from their SOHO stuff. Slightly higher price but the capabilities more than make up for it. Integrated VPN, QoS, sandboxed VLANs, great security and insane stability. My Cisco 1800 series has been running non-stop now for 14 months with my 100mbit internet connection maxed out pretty much 24/7 without any issues. The IOS OS can be confusing at first but there's a java web-interface to configure it if you're afraid of the command-line.

You might check out DD-WRT then if you like tons of features and customization, or OpenWRT like Zimmy mentioned. You get loads of features in an easy to configure interface, it's Linux based so you can get shell access, customize firmwares, add or remove certain features. People build additional functionality in with scripting. Pretty much everything past the configuration is beyond me, I'm far from being a Linux guru. While the hardware is still cheap it usually leads to better stability, at least it has on all of my routers. All of the features that you mentioned are available in DD-WRT. It's free, and you can load it on $40-$50 hardware, or you can buy more expensive, higher quality hardware and run it on that. If you really wanted you could build your own router out of hardware made specifically for that, or you can just turn any old x86 box into a router.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ddew wrote:

You could always go with Linksys, a division of Cisco as their stuff is just as good for consumer uses.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 pm 
Donator

I've played around with the linksys WRT routers but they're way too impotent for my taste. I'm a fan of total monitoring and control. I don't recall having multiple VLANS readily available on the WRT either, being able to have different subnets simultaneously on the same router is perfect for trying out different network setups.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:25 am 
Donator

ddew wrote:
I've played around with the linksys WRT routers but they're way too impotent for my taste. I'm a fan of total monitoring and control. I don't recall having multiple VLANS readily available on the WRT either, being able to have different subnets simultaneously on the same router is perfect for trying out different network setups.

Did you read my post about DD-WRT? It's a third party firmware that runs on mostly Broadcom based routers. The majority of the Linksys WRT line of routers has Broadcom CPUs. Thus you buy a cheap router, update the firmware, and you have features galore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 am 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
ddew wrote:

Did you read my post about DD-WRT? It's a third party firmware that runs on mostly Broadcom based routers. The majority of the Linksys WRT line of routers has Broadcom CPUs. Thus you buy a cheap router, update the firmware, and you have features galore.

And those are the ones I've been playing with and found to be too impotent for my taste. They're just not powerful enough, the biggest of my annoyances was probably that once you had som things running on it you'd struggle to even get 80mbits over from the WAN to the LAN. They're great for simpler uses but if you want total control over your connection they just don't cut it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:05 pm 
Donator

Okay, so you have an 80 megabit Internet connection and you were trying to use a $40-$50 router? That sounds like a problem in itself.

Also, what features were missing from DD-WRT that you wanted? I get the feeling that you haven't actually tried DD-WRT.

This is the VLAN setup page on my router that's running DD-WRT

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 pm 
Donator

It's on a 100mbit connection with a few servers on it. I never got it working properly on my end, sure it had some neat features but they either didn't work perfectly or it kept crashing. Maybe they fixed it in later revisions but adjusting bandwidth quotas on a vlan level using QoS was problematic when I used it.

IOS otoh can handle those loads without any issues and I'm sure the 128MB ram helps too. :)

That feature along with the great monitoring and packet filtering tipped the scale for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:50 pm 
Donator

The ability to limit a users bandwidth is only available in the paid version, and it's always been like that...

You can monitor routers running DD-WRT with all sorts of different utilities. It's Linux based so you can just install applications on it given there is enough RAM and flash memory available on the router... like this: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Any SNMP monitoring application would work. If you're running a syslog server you can use that for monitoring just like on IOS.

But yeah... I wouldn't expect a cheap router to be able to handle a 100 megabit Internet connection. I still wouldn't recommend a Cisco router to a home user, IOS isn't just something you pick up after using a few times.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:06 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
But yeah... I wouldn't expect a cheap router to be able to handle a 100 megabit Internet connection. I still wouldn't recommend a Cisco router to a home user, IOS isn't just something you pick up after using a few times.

It can't be too hard, only took a few days before I got the hang of it. ;) But yeah, the web ui on it is way easier to work with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm 
Donator

Well, you must be some sort of networking guru... or a savant. I can still hardly navigate around IOS. Of course I haven't used it too much though, I'd say far more than three times though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Well, you must be some sort of networking guru... or a savant. I can still hardly navigate around IOS. Of course I haven't used it too much though, I'd say far more than three times though.

It's not all that difficult, all you need is a decent grasp of logic and the whole cause and effect thing. I suspect even non-savants would be able to grasp it with some training.

Top  Profile