BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 3h, 52m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6195MB of 11100MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Tabbed browsing disabled        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm 
FTP Access

At school, all the computers have had Internet Explorer 7 installed. The one downside is, there are no tabs! Why is it do you think they have disabled tabbed browsing?! I have noticed even the staff can't use tabbed browsing either. And obviously I can't turn on the option for tabbed browsing becasue they have completely banned access to the control panel.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:05 pm 
Donator

Probably to make it harder fo rstudents to quickly hide what their looking at.
Could be worse, at my school if you run a google search containing the word "sales" you get blocked, but I managed to get into a blog about how to commit crimes and not get caught.
Its just stupid bureaucracy man.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm 
Donator

Use portable firefox, at my college they refused to upgrade, and i refused to use IE6.

----------------
Listening to: Headhunterz - Hate it or love it

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm 
Donator

KCLiVES wrote:
Use portable firefox, at my college they refused to upgrade, and i refused to use IE6.

----------------

Isn't it Firewalled?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
KCLiVES wrote:

----------------

Isn't it Firewalled?

get the network settings out of IE and put them into Firefox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

But even the teachers can't use the tabbed browsing feature? Why do you think even the teachers can't? I thought they would get more priviledges than us students do.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 pm 
Donator

1: If Firefox is blocked, they've blocked the useragent string, there is a useragent switcher add-on for Firefox which makes it look like IE6/7, whatever browser you want. That should let you use Firefox.

2: They probably have some sort of monitoring software which only shows them the window titles and doesn't support tabs in anything.

3: No, they give the same restrictions to teaches everywhere I've seen.

4: I agree that the filtering does get a little absurd, but they do pay for bandwidth, power, and the computer's that you are using. Also, powering thousands of computers uses electricity, they don't want them to be used unless it's for something they deem beneficial to you or the teachers, so they try to block everything else. Where I went to high school blogs or forums of any kind are blocked, along with probably the majority of the Internet, even Wikipedia is blocked. Mostly to protect students from content that might be inappropriate... at least that's what I've been told, even in the case of Wikipedia. Bleh. The four years I was in high school it went from practically no security or filtering to a ridiculous amount of both.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
QuiescentWonder wrote:
4: I agree that the filtering does get a little absurd, but they do pay for bandwidth, power, and the computer's that you are using. Also, powering thousands of computers uses electricity, they don't want them to be used unless it's for something they deem beneficial to you or the teachers, so they try to block everything else. Where I went to high school blogs or forums of any kind are blocked, along with probably the majority of the Internet, even Wikipedia is blocked. Mostly to protect students from content that might be inappropriate... at least that's what I've been told, even in the case of Wikipedia. Bleh. The four years I was in high school it went from practically no security or filtering to a ridiculous amount of both.

Here is the problem with that logic, they don't pay for bandwidth, power OR the computers, taxpayers do, therefore taxpayers who have kids in school should be able to decide what their children get to look at online (just like they do at home) not the school, therefore they should have no right to filter or control access to anything as it deprives both parents and students of their rights.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:23 pm 
Donator

Luthian wrote:
Here is the problem with that logic, they don't pay for bandwidth, power OR the computers, taxpayers do, therefore taxpayers who have kids in school should be able to decide what their children get to look at online (just like they do at home) not the school, therefore they should have no right to filter or control access to anything as it deprives both parents and students of their rights.

You're right, I didn't mean that they personally pay for it.

Well, until you an prove to me that all of what they do hasn't been influenced by tax payers, I'm going to believe they have reason behind what they do. Maybe the reasons I listed are wrong, I don't know, but I refuse to believe that all of these things are in place for no reason. Do you think the admin's just hate you and want to keep you from playing games because they know you enjoy it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 pm 
damn the schools!

Our college only has ie6! it's frustrating so i use firefox on my usb stick, or i just use ie8 on my laptop.

and proxies aswell, when the schools use proxies for thier internet connection. it does me head in!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 am 
Permanently Banned

QuiescentWonder wrote:
1: If Firefox is blocked, they've blocked the useragent string, there is a useragent switcher add-on for Firefox which makes it look like IE6/7, whatever browser you want. That should let you use Firefox.

2: They probably have some sort of monitoring software which only shows them the window titles and doesn't support tabs in anything.

3: No, they give the same restrictions to teaches everywhere I've seen.

+10.

Wikipedia is usually blocked in schools because of the fact anyone can edit it, thus most teachers don't consider it a reliable source. Most colleges auto-fail your papers if you cite wikipedia too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Wikipedia is not blocked here because its an source that teachers use for it.

But their are some people who do bad things with wikipedia and by some stupid little kids wikipedia cannot be edited at my school, its says were banned from it and when were not banned anymore, the stupid little kids come again then ban us again.

EDIT:
On our machines, (not in a domain) we can use what we want, IE7 and Firefox are preinstalled.

On the domain computers, XP SP2 is recently installed (upgraded from 2000 last summer) and IE7 with tabbed browsing.

But if you try to find information that is not school like, and the monitor (yes, the teachers can see what you do on your monitor with leaving theirs, its called NetSupport) they can reboot the computer, shut it down, log you out, or just take control or send messages.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:24 am 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Wikipedia is not blocked here because its an source that teachers use for it.

But their are some people who do bad things with wikipedia and by some stupid little kids wikipedia cannot be edited at my school, its says were banned from it and when were not banned anymore, the stupid little kids come again then ban us again.

You can get around that by having a wikipedia accuont

DJRob wrote:
EDIT:
On our machines, (not in a domain) we can use what we want, IE7 and Firefox are preinstalled.

On the domain computers, XP SP2 is recently installed (upgraded from 2000 last summer) and IE7 with tabbed browsing.

But if you try to find information that is not school like, and the monitor (yes, the teachers can see what you do on your monitor with leaving theirs, its called NetSupport) they can reboot the computer, shut it down, log you out, or just take control or send messages.

Anyone can do it on any computer (for free unlike netsupport) ... VNC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 am 
Donator

We got a pretty much *perfect* network.
up to 8 MB/sec - altough it is limited: no torrent, no ftp, no ed2k or similar stuff, and rapidshare is blocked..

BUT: we got a domain, where all users are on it, the network is nice and secure.....
and I haz got some admin privileges.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am 
In my school, administrartors have banned us from many internet tasks. We can't use tabs when browsing internet. So, my suggest: Portable Opera on my USB. That's the most simple way, I think.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 pm 
FTP Access

One of my friends tried using portable firefox on their USB pen drive at the school I go to and it didn't work. Also, they got a good blking for it as well. I tried portable firefox, and it didn't work, thinking the computer isn't connected to the internet.

One more thing, the computers in the main office, and one of the teacher's laptops at school are the only computers that can use IE7 with tabbed browsing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm 
Donator

squidward_ wrote:
One of my friends tried using portable firefox on their USB pen drive at the school I go to and it didn't work. Also, they got a good blking for it as well. I tried portable firefox, and it didn't work, thinking the computer isn't connected to the internet.

Not configured properly... theres probably a proxy blocking you

squidward_ wrote:
One more thing, the computers in the main office, and one of the teacher's laptops at school are the only computers that can use IE7 with tabbed browsing.

because unlike you and the rest of the kids in your school they're not going to waste their time playing online games or foruming

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

But the teachers aren't going to be wasting time gaming and going to chat room websites etc... and they seem to have tabbed browsing disabled like I said before.

PS: I can't believe a simple question about tabbed browsing leads to people talking about tax payers!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 pm 
Donator

Our school provides us with e-mail accounts and everyone (except me as I never use the supplied e-mail) seems to complain about how the teachers get unlimited e-mail and the students only get 500KB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 pm 
FTP Access

I have also noticed when I use this website at school, when posting a topic, when I click to send it, it takes several minutes for it to say it sent successfully, even though every other webpage will load up normally, (my IT teacher said the connection for each computer is 1MB max download speed). Also, I can't use the smilies properly. Wheras at home, even though the net connection is a lot slower, (256KB download speed max), I can post topics here just like that!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 pm 
Sometimes is just the administrators preference. Just like where I work, they have a GPO that make XP start menu look like Win2k. That the way one of the Admins wanted it to look because he was used to it looking that way.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:22 pm 
FTP Access

Well, now I know why a lot of the time, admins sometimes insist applying seemingly stupid restrictions to all the programs on the computers at school! Also, you were saying about the admins at your school applying a setting to force XP to use the Windows 2000 style start menu at school. What they have done at my school is made it so that it uses the Windows 2000 style start menu, and made it so that the only items are: Programs, Log Off [Username] and Shutdown. When the computers had Windows 2000 on them a few years ago when I first started, even the Shutdown button was missing; you had to log off first, then press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then click Shutdown!

Top  Profile  WWW