BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 14h, 59m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5708MB of 10835MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Does it will lags?        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:21 am 
FTP Access

Hey everyone!

My PC can run Windows Vista but do you think it will lags?

1,3Ghz Intel Celeron
1,2Gb of SDRAM
320GB Hard Drive
nVidia Geforce 2 MX (I don't want aero :P)

I want to run any edition of Vista for testing , and if it's good I'll buy it :)

Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:33 am 
Donator

I'd say no, but it really depends on what you'll be doing on that pc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:41 am 
FTP Access

Internet , playing on Steam xD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:52 am 
FTP Access

arthmx wrote:
Internet , playing on Steam xD

Are you sure it's a 1.3 Ghz Celeron processor?

I'm sorry, but the processor alone will struggle with Vista. You'll be able to "run" it, but I doubt it will be as smooth as XP. The requirements don't specify what type of CPU is needed at those speeds. All 800 mhz processor are certainly not the same, and they don't perform the same.

Also, have you thought about drivers for that video card? I highly doubt Nvidia supports that video card on Vista. I think anything before the FX 5xxx series is not supported, and even the FX 5xxx support is basic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:01 am 
Permanently Banned

Note he doesn't want aero.

That will likely work, whether or not you can find offical drivers for Vista (forceware might take care of it, it might not) you could probably find some unoffical drivers that work just fine.

Cut the craq out of Vista and you will likely be able to get along fine. Turn off any theming and put on Windows Classic (it speeds it up a lot but people with Dual Core PC's and crap probably will not notice), turn OFF the sidebar, turn OFF User Account Control (the admin approval thingy), cut out worthless services, and choose applications that are not that resource hungry (IE: Winamp, foobar, or Media Player classic for media, Miranda IM, etc) and you should be moving pretty decent. Some steam games might not play but that's just due to your graphics card, it has nothing to do with the OS. As I'm assuming you've used this machine before if you play steam games on it now, what your able to play now on (assuming XP or 2000) will likely still work on Vista.

If your looking to buy a vista edition, I would honestly recommend Vista Basic. It's not low end trash like the starter editions are, it's just designed for basic PC's, hence the title. Either buy Basic and get the stuff you need, or pay more for a bigger edition and get crap you will likely never touch.

(For the record, only reason I use ultimate is the SUA support, else i'd be fine with basic)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:13 am 
Donator

I know I seem to plug Windows Server 2008 alot, But you should consider it.
Its Vista, but with a crapload of services disabled and features removed, so unlike Vista, its a matter of enabling the features you want, rather than disabling the features you don't want.
The Trial, is rather long (60 days) and by following this guide, you can turn that into 180 days.
What games do you play on Steam?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am 
Donator

I've used the same gfx card on my pc with Vista, theres definetly no aero glass but it will do the plain black aero just fine.

You couldnt get a better processor by any chance? My computer runs... alright with an AMD Sempron 1.6Ghz processor.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:35 am 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
I've used the same gfx card on my pc with Vista, theres definetly no aero glass but it will do the plain black aero just fine.

You couldnt get a better processor by any chance? My computer runs... alright with an AMD Sempron 1.6Ghz processor.

Wow, how do you get Black Aero , can you gimme unofficial drivers?

I'll install Vista Business now ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 pm 
Donator

arthmx wrote:
happy dude wrote:

What I meant by Black Aero was the Aero Basic theme, the one that comes up when your graphics card doesn't support aero glass:

That is what it looks like.

Oh and by the way I couldnt find any nvidia drivers for Vista probably because its unsupported
:?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm 
FTP Access

Can't he just use vLite if he wants to get rid of any of the unwanted stuff?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 pm 
FTP Access

Now my CPU is everytimes at 100% when I've connected my wireless card :s

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:50 pm 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:

I did note that.

His CPU is still horrible.

If he's going to go through the trouble of cutting everything that makes Vista Vista, what's the point?

If you're going to use Windows Classic, play old Valve Games (whether he'll be able to use DX or OpenGl is up in the air, since he'll have a tough time finding drivers, and OpenGl support now is supported by the driver makers, and not MS anymore), disable a ton of services, what really is the point?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Ambig wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

I did note that.

If he's going to go through the trouble of cutting everything that makes Vista Vista, what's the point?

If you're going to use Windows Classic, play old Valve Games (whether he'll be able to use DX or OpenGl is up in the air, since he'll have a tough time finding drivers, and OpenGl support now is supported by the driver makers, and not MS anymore), disable a ton of services, what really is the point?

I agree, with that sort of spec, and that sort of requirements, surely XP and similar will do the job?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Quote:
Does it will lags?
Love it.

Seriously: it shouldn't lag. Still, be careful though; it can lag on any spec because of how bleedin' resource-hungry it is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:30 pm 
Permanently Banned

Ambig wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

I did note that.

The point is... He wants to run vista. If you would have read his post you would know that. Don't forget, there's more that "makes Vista Vista" that's under the hood that you can't see :P

I can buy a cell phone with a larger display, weighs a few oz, and has an easier to use keypad and it will play a shitton of crappy java games, or i can buy a circa-1990's cell phone thats heavy and cumbersome to use. All I want to do is make calls, what do you think i'm going to go with?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 pm 
Donator

It's going to be slow as hell, just use XP or 2000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
arthmx wrote:
happy dude wrote:

What I meant by Black Aero was the Aero Basic theme, the one that comes up when your graphics card doesn't support aero glass:

*snip*

I thought you hated Vista Basic though. After all, you seem to have requested ways to get Aero working and have bashed Vista Basic at least once.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
I thought you hated Vista Basic though. After all, you seem to have requested ways to get Aero working and have bashed Vista Basic at least once.

And yes I hate Vista Basic but I'm talking about the Aero Basic theme :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:49 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
mdogg wrote:

Right... 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:09 am 
Donator

mdogg wrote:
happy dude wrote:
mdogg wrote:

Right... 8-)

Vista Home Basic. And fyi, the Vista HOME Basic theme is different to the aero basic theme.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:49 am 
Vista ultimate works fine for me with

933 mhz pIII
512 mb sdram
128 mb asus radeon 9200se
160 gb hdd

it works ands plays games like Command and Conquer 3, put i woundn't recommend internet play for cnc3

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 am 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:

The point is... He wants to run vista. If you would have read his post you would know that. Don't forget, there's more that "makes Vista Vista" that's under the hood that you can't see :P

I know what the point is. I just don't understand why. Don't get me wrong, I like Vista over XP. I'm typing this in Vista right now. But I also have a computer that is capable of running it without problems. His computer "technically" will run Vista. But performance will likely be slower than XP, unless he goes through and turns off practically everything. If you turn off superfetch, Windows Search, DWM, UAC, what is he left with? Windows XP. Yes, I know, there are improvements underneath, but for what he's going to be using the computer for, I doubt he'll see any benefit.

It seems as if he plans on downloading an ISO of Vista and putting it on his computer regardless of what anyone says, so I don't quite get the point of the thread.

Quote:
I can buy a cell phone with a larger display, weighs a few oz, and has an easier to use keypad and it will play a [censored] of crappy java games, or i can buy a circa-1990's cell phone thats heavy and cumbersome to use. All I want to do is make calls, what do you think i'm going to go with?

The new phone because its free and weighs left.

Unfortunately for his computer, Vista won't weigh less. :wink:

Top  Profile