BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 19h, 58m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5913MB of 10785MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: A VPC with it's own keyboard and mouse?        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 am 
FTP Access

Hey guys!
I'd love to know if there's a way of using a keyboard and a mouse that only affect a virtual machine, so that I can use a secondary display with it's own keyb and mouse as another PC for someone else.
Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A VPC with it's own keyboard and mouse?        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:59 am 
Donator

Chicago wrote:
Hey guys!
I'd love to know if there's a way of using a keyboard and a mouse that only affect a virtual machine, so that I can use a secondary display with it's own keyb and mouse as another PC for someone else.
Thanks!

How ironic, I was going to ask the same question. Friends always come over wanting to use my computer :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: A VPC with it's own keyboard and mouse?        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:07 am 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:
Chicago wrote:
Hey guys!
Thanks!

How ironic, I was going to ask the same question. Friends always come over wanting to use my computer :P

Yeah, haha, mine too, and even sometimes myself. I want to use 2 different Oses working with the same info, so I use it like that, but I still have to divide inputs, so it's not that good.
Hope somebody can help

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 am 
Permanently Banned

Short answer, no.

Long answer, somewhat. You're not going to accomplish this with consumer grade VM solutions however. I know for a fact both VMWare Server and Xen allow you to VNC into the VM as if it were a KVM over IP, however this would require you having a PC as a thin client role (an old P2 with a linux distro designed for thin clients would work nicely). Both products are free, one is much easier to setup (VMWare), one will give you better VM performance (Xen). VMWare Server runs on both Windows and Linux, I don't know how far back it supports Windows versions and I believe certain features require a Server version, but don't quote me, but if you went the VMWare route i would suggest get a small linux install, with X11 and a tiny window manager (Fluxbox is nice) to be able to use the VMWare GUI. If you go with Xen it takes a lot of reading and is mostly all done by command line (there are 3rd party apps to manage Xen domU's and i think XenSource had one at one point) but performance is much better and if you use linux in a Xen domU, you also get a serial console you can access via SSH.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm 
Donator

Actually, I did it once with Virtual PC. I set my computer to a dual-screen configuration and put a VM window on the second screen. I then connected a serial mouse directly to the VM, and played Starcraft on both. It lacked a keyboard, but it worked. These days I guess you could hook up USB keyboard and mouse to a QEMU or a VMware VM, but a multihead Linux desktop would probably be more appropriate.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 pm 
FTP Access

Couldn't you just have two USB keyboards and mice connected to your PC, and then give one of each to the virtual machine VM > Removable devices > USB devices? That usually "gives" the USB device to the VM so that the real machine can't see it any more, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a mouse and keyboard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:28 pm 
I was going to ask the same question

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:48 pm 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Couldn't you just have two USB keyboards and mice connected to your PC, and then give one of each to the virtual machine VM > Removable devices > USB devices? That usually "gives" the USB device to the VM so that the real machine can't see it any more, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for a mouse and keyboard.

IIRC it can be done in VMware if you enable USB device redirection.

Top  Profile