BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 23h, 41m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 2847MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Effects of putting in a processor the wrong way        Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:57 pm 
Donator

My friend, who had never built a PC before, got a few PC parts from his uncle (claimed to be all working). He built it all together, but he put the processor (socket 478) in the wrong way by forcing it in. And now for obvious reasons, the PC didn't boot. The pins on the processor seemed to be bent down very far and I didn't want to mess around with bending them straight. So instead, I brought a socket 478 processor out of a broken PC over and attempted to see if it would work. Unfortunately, with the processor being out of a broken PC, I didn't actually know if the processor was broken or not. I put it into the PC but it still didn't boot. Is this because putting the processor in the wrong way fried something or is it because the processor I had was broken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

Haha. What a pleb. Anywho, yeah, sounds like he's well and truely screwed it. If he attempted to turn it on and something that shouldn't have been earthed got earthed, or vice versa, its bound to have fried something. At least it was an inexpensive lesson. Its a basic rule, if you have to force it, something is wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
Donator

There are many reasons that it might not work. Find out the model number of the motherboard and look up the manual online. The manual will tell you what CPUs it supports. Could you be more specific about what the computer does when you turn it on?

There is always the possibility that the CPU with bent pins is still good. You can try to bend the pins back up, but generally you only get one chance, so if you don't bend them enough and they get bent back down, they'll break off and you'll be out of luck. Also, don't expect it to work even if you do manage to get all the pins bent back up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:03 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
There are many reasons that it might not work. Find out the model number of the motherboard and look up the manual online. The manual will tell you what CPUs it supports. Could you be more specific about what the computer does when you turn it on?

There is always the possibility that the CPU with bent pins is still good. You can try to bend the pins back up, but generally you only get one chance, so if you don't bend them enough and they get bent back down, they'll break off and you'll be out of luck. Also, don't expect it to work even if you do manage to get all the pins bent back up.

When the power button is pressed, the fans start, you can hear the hard drive turning on, but it doesn't progress beyond there. No beeps, no hard drive activity, etc. It just sits there with the monitor saying No Signal.

I did also try to bend the pins on the processor back up but they just snapped off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm 

It should work as i have 2 socket 478 cpu's 1 thats got a pin missing cause i put it in the wrong way and turned it on and stuff didnt boot, but after takin it out i ended up bending some and broke some pins but it still works when in the right way. But now im using different cpu which still works in it aswell.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:00 pm 
Donator

Well, you're lucky.

mdogg, like I said, find the manual for the motherboard and look up which CPUs it supports.

Top  Profile