BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 13h, 23m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 1938MB of 2943MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Audio Convertor        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:10 pm 

I've had enough of iPods so my girlfriend has offered to buy me a Zune, but I want to take all the songs I bought off iTunes and keep them for my Zune and whatever software it uses. From what I've heard, M4P and ACC are not supported, but are possible to convert, despite protection.

Does anyone have any information to help me decide whether a Zune is worth getting?

Also, bearing in mind I cannot write CDs at the moment, and I've already tried NoteBurner, which didn't work due to a conflict with my VCD software, and Blaze Media Pro, which lied about M4P support, and didn't work:

Does anyone know if a Zune actually supports M4P?

And if not does anyone know any good M4P to MP3/WMA convertors? Preferably freeware?

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:53 pm 
Donator

AFAIK, if you can even find software to do it, converting all your M4P files is going to be a huge pain in the ass. M4A would be fine, but M4P has DRM. I know there is software out there for older versions of iTunes, not sure about iTunes 8 though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:29 pm 

QuiescentWonder wrote:
AFAIK, if you can even find software to do it, converting all your M4P files is going to be a huge pain in the ass. M4A would be fine, but M4P has DRM. I know there is software out there for older versions of iTunes, not sure about iTunes 8 though.

Yeah, the Zune only plays files with DRM from the Zune marketplace, which sucks.

I suppose I could transfer the encoded files via USB stick, log onto my iTunes on my brother's laptop, burn the songs to disks, and rip them in MP3 format on my PC? I'd like this to be a last resort though, since it's effort for me, as my brother takes his laptop everywhere, and is usually out at work :-/.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 pm 
Donator

Curly Hooligan wrote:
Yeah, the Zune only plays files with DRM from the Zune marketplace

Not true, my brother has a Zune and I know that he hasn't bought a single song from the Zune marketplace. He just had a bunch of random MP3s and they synced on to the Zune without any problems with the Zune software.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 pm 
Donator

http://hymn-project.org/

Quote:
Why use Hymn Project software?

* To decrypt your iTunes protected AAC files so that they can be played on operating systems for which no official version of iTunes exists, such as Linux.
* To use non-Apple AAC-capable hardware to play your music.
* To eliminate the five computer limit imposed by iTunes.
* More music downloads
* To make archival backups of your music.
* As the first step in converting your music from protected AAC to MP3, Ogg, or your other favorite audio file format, for use with your non-iPod portable audio player.
* To demonstrate your belief in the principles of fair-use under copyright law.

ADD: A different method that works - burn your music to CD (as an Audio CD, ya know the CD where you fit 20 songs on) and rip them to your computer in MP3

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 pm 

happy dude wrote:
http://hymn-project.org/

A different method that works - burn your music to CD (as an Audio CD, ya know the CD where you fit 20 songs on) and rip them to your computer in MP3

Thanks for the help. I checked out the site. Not a lot of information on it that I hadn't already tried, and I've tried most the software, and none seem to remove the DRM from my iTunes 8 files. "DRM Media Converter" seems promising though, but I don't want to splash out on it, so I may just re-download on my PC that has a CD Writer, burn and rip back into MP3 format.

Seems easiest.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 pm 
Permanently Banned

or just get the songs from bittorrent.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 pm 

Zimmy wrote:

We're not all pirates :P

And if I'm burning it to CD / putting it on portable player anyway, I may as well do it with the trusted, and already paid for, source.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
http://www.youconvertit.com/convertfiles.aspx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:01 am 
Permanently Banned

Curly Hooligan wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

We're not all pirates :P

And if I'm burning it to CD / putting it on portable player anyway, I may as well do it with the trusted, and already paid for, source.

Yeah, but then again, if you buy a new device and try and load on existing music you paid good money for, and you can't load it on because nobody can settle down on one standard for DRM, then, imo, you have a right to torrent the songs. Get them in a high quality flac and then re-encode into MP3 so you can use your device and you still have a high quality version on hand. imho if you paid for the songs, i don't see a problem with torrenting, you probably won't share them with anyone anyway expect for burning a CD but then again, who doesn't copy/burn cd's and pass along to friends these days?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 am 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:

You sir, are a Hypocrite.

Curly Hooligan wrote:
Also, bearing in mind I cannot write CDs at the moment

You dont need a burner. Nor do you need to download anything from bittorrent, which even if you do own the tracks, is still illegal in most countries no matter how you try and justify it. All you need do is go download a trial version of Nero. Use Nero Burning Rom, load up the tracks you want to burn, then select the Image Burner as the recording device and burn the cd as an image to your hard drive. Then load up the .nrg in Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools or even Nero Image Drive, and re-rip the tracks to mp3. Not only does this save buying and burning cd's, its also alot faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 am 
Permanently Banned

OG wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

You sir, are a Hypocrite.

You sir, are not smarter than a 5th grader. I only merly said you pirated goods. I never stated I had any issues with piracy or the bittorrent protocol. I can think of several times when BitTorrent would be a proper solution to a problem: ie:

* Mr. Hooligan's situation, he can't play his iTunes tracks on his new device. Espically when a device is given to you, free, you won't refuse it and you won't buy something else because of incompatiblities. Most people who buy their music legit have atleast $150 worth. I myself have at least a grand in music that was obtained in some legal way or another (CD's, Vinyl or Digital Download). If I somehow ran into a problem where I couldn't use the music how I like, I would fix that, even if it includes using torrents to obtain material that I actually bought.

* I have a Windows Server 2003 License. I can't find my install disc, so what do I do? I hop over to TPB and grab an iso. I need it in ISO format anyway for loading up in a Xen VM, but I still have my licenses and key.

* Open Source flows a lot quicker and more efficent over BitTorrent, which, is part in which it was designed for.

Learn to read what I say.

ADD: please make sure you double bag my 2 liter's of soda.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 am 
FTP Access

You insinuated that mearly because I am involved in the running of a bittorrent site that I have little better to do than infringe copyright all day, a sweeping statement that is neither true, nor based on anything other than your insignificant opinion. You seem to be saying it is fine for YOU to pirate when YOU feel YOU are justified in doing so, yet insult me for simply being involved with a site that itself does not break the law in any way. I have news for you, you are not nearly as smart as you think you are, in fact you're nothing more than a high school dropout with an attitude. You will go far in life I'm sure, if not, you can always blame it on your inability to be socialy adept.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 am 
Donator

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:44 pm 
FTP Access

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:49 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Zimmy, Happy Dude and CoreDuo, stop flaming.

Locked.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]