BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 2h, 14m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 1893MB of 4155MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Attaching a hard drive to a computer?        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I have a 40 GB Maxtor ATA/133 HDD that was from a eMachines computer back at 2003. The eMachines PC is now stripped(or whatever you call taking apart the computer but retaining all of the parts because they'll be useful someday :) ), but now I want to use my old hard drive again. However, since I never done this before but I'm willing to try new things 8) , can someone tell me whether my old hard disk will work in my HP desktop, or whether there is a port for the ATA/133 drive, or whether if anything wrong happens during or after installing the HD? Thanks, really appreciate it.

Also, I have two rubber cables, one is gray, the other is less gray and both says Master and slave. What am I suppose to do with those?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 am 
Donator

Make sure that your computer is off and unplugged, then touch the metal case before you touch the inside. If there are cables inside your other desktop that have the same type of plug (PATA) on them, the drive will most likely work. You can only put up to four PATA drives in most computers at once. Some newer mothboards only support two PATA drives and have more SATA ports. If you have something plugged in inside the other desktop and the cable only has one port, you can replace the cable with one which has two ports. Also, PATA devices (hard-drives, optical drives, etc.) have jumpers on them. Next to the 40-pin PATA connector you will see some jumpers. I will include a picture of where they should be.

The settings will NOT necessarily be the same on your drive, you should look on your drive to see if it has a diagram of the jumper settings. Sometimes they will be right above the jumpers, or sometimes the diagram on top of the label will be upside down. Don't worry! Getting these wrong will not ruin anything, you'll just have to change them if it doesn't work.

There are a few configurations that can be possible. If you are going to plug this drive in and have Windows installed on another drive, and still want to use the other drive and use this new one for storage, that's possible. It will be easier for me to keep explaining this is you let us know how many cd drives and hard-drives are currently in your computer (along with zip drives or anything else plugged into the same cables) that way I can avoid having to explain more than you need to know. Also, let us know how they are plugged in. Are there two optical drives at the top plugged into one cable and a single hard-drive below plugged into a cable on it's own? Do you plan on removing the existing hard-drive and replacing it with this one? Are you going to install Windows on this drive, or is it just going to be an addition for storage? Also, let us know the model number of your HP desktop that you plan on putting the drive in.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Yeah, it's just going to be an addition of storage, and I plan on using my 250 GB HDD as my primary one. Also, the hardware in my HP Pavilion computer has not been modified or changed, so I have 1 Hard Drive and 1 DVD Writer/recorder/reader drive(I'm sure because there's a sticker that says Windows Vista Capable :P ) BTW, do I need the jumpers? I don't know if they're there or not.(I don't know if I have them or not, I haven't search for them yet) My HDD is has stuff in it(nothing important), and my HP model # is a1540n.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:16 am 
Donator

This shouldn't be too difficult. We'll assume that because your HP is new enough that the drives in it are already configured to Cable Select by the jumpers. Just read the jumper settings on the drive you want to install and set them to Cable Select. You need to use the setting that says just Cable Select and stay away from anything else (ex. the word Limit). Now, does the hard-drive in your HP desktop have two small cables or a wide cable and a small cable plugging into it? Also, check about this on your optical drive as well. If the hard-drive has two small cables, that means we are going to need to plug it into the same cable that your optical drive is plugged into. If your optical drive does have the correct type of cable (PATA, which will be a wide ribbon cable) but only has one connector, you can use one of the cables that came out of your old computer. Just plug everything in, now turn on your computer and see if Windows finds it. If not, chances are that you will have to go into the BIOS and enable it OR the optical drive is jumpered as Master instead of Cable Select.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I see. I Still have a few questions though before I'll open up my case...

1) Believe it or not, there are 7 jumpers not 8... Here are some pictures of my old HDD:

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... .26093.jpg
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... .45499.jpg
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... .88859.jpg

So how should I set up the jumpers? Or is it configured already?

2) Do I need to secure the HDD with nails when it is inside?

3) Is it possible for the old HDD to consume more electricity and cause problems such as BSODs?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:32 am 
Donator

Yes, it's already configured as Cable Select. You should just be able to plug it in. The old hard-drive is going to cause your computer to consume more electricity, but that isn't going to cause BSODs unless your power supply is already loaded to the max.

Please NO do not nail your hard-drive in place, use screws. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I just opened up my case, to look in it and get rid of the dust of course. Anyway, in my HP machine, there are 4 SATA ports, and 2 ports for whatever uses the IDE ribbon, my DVD drive uses one of them, and the HDD that's in there is a SATA drive. The HD in the case has the power cable and a thin red cable used for for the HD, and my optical drive only has the IDE ribbon cable and power cable connected on it.

More pictures of my HP computer:
http://betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/12 ... .61286.jpg
http://betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/12 ... .64658.jpg
http://betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/12 ... .68165.jpg
http://betaarchive.co.uk/imageupload/12 ... .67557.jpg

First screenshot is my SATA drive. Second is the optical drive. Third is the space above my Seagate 250 GB hard drive where my old HD may go, but not on the top because in there contains a 9 in 1 camera card reader. The forth has this green thing. Do I have to do anything to it?

Also, you will notice there is a connector in the middle of the ribbon cable in the second picture. Is that where my old HDD could go?

Last question, when I opened the case to examine it and clean the dust, my computer froze right after I log in. It's fine ATM, and I think the problem has to do with the fan and maybe the dust. How can I prevent my computer from freezing again?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Ahh, the computer = Compaq Evo D310 Towermodel.
Worked on them for a few months, srew the screws in before entering the drive and then push in the drive and the green thing clicks and the harddrive is in (easy).

If the CD/DVD drive if configured as MASTER (top connector must be connected) see on the drive where the MASTER/SLAVE/CABLE SELECT must go (jumpers).

Then configure the harddrive as S:AVE and put it in the computer, fasten with the right screws and then connect the power and IDE cable (middle connector = slave)

Be sure that the power is turned off and the power cable is disconnected from the entire machine (on the back) before doing anything, otherwise you can see 1 "poef" with smoke and your machine is gone.

Then after connecting power then power-up and go to the BIOS (Press DEL or F2) and search the menu's where youre drive configuration is located:

IDE Master 1 = Sata 1
IDE Slave 1 = Sata 2
IDE Master 2 = Sata 3
IDE Master 3 = Sata 4
IDE Master 4 = IDE Cable master (upper one)
IDE Slave 4 = IDE Cable slave (middle one)

(Configuration can me different)
After the configuration instead of Sata 1 = Name of connected device

If your harddrive is there then boot into windows and then you have installed that harddrive (go to computer management if the drive doesnt have an number).
If loggin you see: New Hardware Found wizard (let it run and reboot when it says).

All Done, you can use the drive now.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 pm 
Donator

The optical drive is probably already configured as Cable Select, so don't worry about that. You have to remove the front of the computer, there should clips (two or three) that let you pull the front off from the left side, and then the right side should just come off. Then you'll need to put screws in the hard-drive and slide it in from the front. Those green things snap down over the heads of the screws to keep the drive in, which makes it easy to add/remove drives from your computer. You'll need to use the screws that come with this case, there should be extra silver and black screws underneath the front. The ones with the courser thread are the ones you need to use, I think those are the silver ones. You'll have to make sure that the slave connector on the PATA ribbon cable will reach down there. If not you could always buy, I don't know what they're called, but they go in 5-1/2" drive bays (like the one that holds the optical drive) and let you mount the hard-drive in that. If you're lazy and not worried about it, and don't think it's going to fall out the back, you can always just lay the drive underneath the optical drive, I wouldn't do this but I know people that have done similar and not had any problems. Just plug it all in and boot up and see what works. You can keep your computer from locking up by not taking it apart/screwing around inside the case while it's on.

Top  Profile