BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 13h, 36m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 2217MB of 3645MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Buying a New Phone During a Service Agreement        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 pm 
FTP Access

Hello, in February 2008, my parents bought my first cell phone for me FINALLY on my 18th birthday. Stupidly enough, they got a free phone, which meant it had very few features, a very small screen, and limited resources. And of course, they got us an Unlimited Data Access plan, but I have a 128x128 screen and EDGE speeds. They bought me the LG CUSOMETHING.

In June 2008, I bought of eBay a Motorola V9, which is 3G, has an excellent camera (2.0MP with Great quality photos), and is actually usable. It costed about $250.

However, AT&T offers the AT&T Tilt, which runs for $200 on a New 2-Year Service Agreement & Mail-in Rebate, or $450 to purchase retail price. Technically, I cannot upgrade to a new phone until February 2010 when my 2-year contract finally ends. I would like this phone as it has a QWERTY keyboard, 3G speeds, and Windows Mobile 6.1 (I'm in college, and I need some form of organizer). I could always dish out $100 for a cheap Palm Z9 Pilot, but why not get something that could also work with my network?

My question to you (sorry about all the random facts by the way) is CAN I somehow renew my 2-year contract right now to purchase the phone for the discounted price, or do I seriously have to wait until February 2010 to buy a new one? Also, I am sharing minutes in a FamilyTalk Plan with two other phones. For instance, would I have to pay a termination fee to renew my contract, or what exactly needs to happen for this to work? I can always of course pay retail, but with $450, I can buy loads with that.

If all else fails, I will sell a lot of my old things on eBay soon to get this phone. I've heard it's been great for others, and I just want a QWERTY phone that works with AT&T. I can't switch plans since I'm on a FamilyTalk Plan with AT&T.

Thanks,
Troy

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:11 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Most likely, you will be unable to recieve the phone at a discount price (maybe hustling them at the store will help :? )

Alternatively you can buy the thing from E-Bay and place your SIM card into the phone. You can simply buy a new phone plan - I don't spend that many minutes talking to my family.

ultimately - no, you can't buy it at the discount price.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Okay cool. I think that's why a lot of people oppose AT&T for the fact that they only offer a 2-year service agreement rather than a 1-year. Ultimately, that's what I did with the Motorola V9 was I bought it off eBay since it would have costed over $500 total brand new with no rebates, and trust me, the thing is not an iPhone or any smart phone in any way. AT&T even blocks access to the POP3 Mail program on it! I had to hack the phone in order to unlock the feature. (H) Oh Seem edits!

If I get really annoyed with AT&T's service (lately, they have been really slow with their internet 3G speeds), I will switch to Sprint to get my hands on the upcoming Samsung Rant. It's a slider/QWERTY phone similar to the LG Rumor, but I dislike LG products [read above post obviously].

Either way, I thank you for your response and if anyone has anything else to add, I'd be more than happy to hear your input!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:13 pm 
Permanently Banned

Troy, get to know people at AT&T mobility. Depending on who you talk to, you MIGHT be able to resign a contract right now, but you would be stuck in another 2 years with the tilt from the date of sign.

I've had AT&T for years now, and I'm not too impressed with them. But it all depends on what area your in on what type of signal you can get. Out by me I get jack [censored] but if I go to chicago, or rockford, or other bigger areas i get a perfect signal, even in the thickest of buildings.

You also might like to take a look at the blackjack. It runs Windows Mobile 5 but the smartphone version, not the PPC version, so you can't write with a stylus but you can use the qwerty keyboard. I've heard good things about it, and I think it's 3g too, and they usually go pretty cheap on eBay.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 pm 
Donator

Without reading, usually if you pay out your current contract you can get a new phone (and start again). SOMETIMES if your lucky you might be able to get a new phone with only you paying out for the old phone

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:58 pm 
FTP Access

Okay, well, I'm looking into purchasing either the AT&T Tilt or the Samsung Blackjack II. I've heard a few mixed reviews for both of them, whether it be the bulkiness of the Tilt or the crappy camera quality of the Blackjack. Either way, I need a daytime planner I can rely on, because the Motorola OS [Synergy] has a very VERY basic calendar program, and the to do list isn't very good [like it keeps saying every Sunday I need to create a band with my friends, rather than displaying this everyday. lol]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:14 pm 
Donator

Of course, there could always be some sort of technicality that lets you end the contract early without paying the early-termination fees. I've read about how people have done that before. Of course AT&T might not like you very much afterwards.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]