BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 22h, 30m | CPU: 57% | MEM: 2168MB of 4197MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Random Facebook friend requests experiment.        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am

Posts
229

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Yesterday night, I set up a fake Facebook account and joined a random network. I requested 60 random people from that network to be my friend. Here's the result:

Image

Interesting, eh? Within 24 hours, 25 people out of 60 accepted my friend request. It appears that at least 15 had rejected it, and the remaining 20 have yet to respond.

I'm rather stunned by this. I personally have received plenty of random friend requests myself, but I usually reject them. This is really stunning.

Note: To protect the privacy of others, I've blacked out last names, as well as the network's name.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:55 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am

Posts
628

Location
UK
Are you really that surprised? People on these lame ass social networking sites get friend spam all the time, and most are that socialy inept they will accept such an invitation from anyone because it makes them feel that little bit more special. Perhaps if they had as many IRL friends they might actualy be as popular as they think they are. Me, I troll, and reject everyone except fellow trolls that I know from elsewhere.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am

Posts
229

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Well, I watched a documentary on social networking sites, and it says that most people who use social networking sites usually reject requests from people they don't know...

I also found an interesting link to go with this topic:

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/ ... ebook.html


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:37 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 am

Posts
628

Location
UK
Your own experiment shows, excluding the 20 who have not responded, more than half accepted an invitation from some random person they dont know. I would think that is a fairly accurate representation. The more people you have as friends, the more popular you appear to be when the chances are that a great deal of those people dont know who the hell you are nor you them, and neither of which care really becuase they appear to be popular when alot of their so called friends are just as much a nobody as you (not personaly). I see social networking sites as being alot that that crap Pokemon, the more you collect the 'cooler' you are at least to you and your circle of Pokemon collecting friends. To the outside world you're just a loser.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:44 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am

Posts
229

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
That number has now actually bumped up to 31 now. And through all of this, I've only received three inbox messages demanding to know exactly who I am.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:16 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:18 am

Posts
39
I once set a fake facebook account, never even logged in and still taking friend requests today :S


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:01 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 am

Posts
1513
funny, collecting random friends
I personally think it's unsafe to add unknow strangers thus I usually ask.
I also think that some friends are very complex behind your back, therefore I rather not reveil most of my personal info on facebook. Cause there are stalkers out there looking for some advantage!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:10 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am

Posts
229

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
XDude wrote:
funny, collecting random friends
I personally think it's unsafe to add unknow strangers thus I usually ask.
I also think that some friends are very complex behind your back, therefore I rather not reveil most of my personal info on facebook. Cause there are stalkers out there looking for some advantage!


You would be surprised at how much information these people reveal about themselves. Besides knowing the school they go to, I know some of their cell phone numbers, addresses, email accounts, etc. All of this is perfect for an identity thief.

Of course, all of this is really useless to me though. I was expecting only perhaps 5, maybe 10 people to add me. Thirty-four people (as of this hour) have added me as a friend. It's really remarkable to see how vulnerable social networking sites are and how so few people even use any of the security features available.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:09 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 am

Posts
1513
XX55XX wrote:
XDude wrote:
funny, collecting random friends
I personally think it's unsafe to add unknow strangers thus I usually ask.
I also think that some friends are very complex behind your back, therefore I rather not reveil most of my personal info on facebook. Cause there are stalkers out there looking for some advantage!


You would be surprised at how much information these people reveal about themselves. Besides knowing the school they go to, I know some of their cell phone numbers, addresses, email accounts, etc. All of this is perfect for an identity thief.

Of course, all of this is really useless to me though. I was expecting only perhaps 5, maybe 10 people to add me. Thirty-four people (as of this hour) have added me as a friend. It's really remarkable to see how vulnerable social networking sites are and how so few people even use any of the security features available.

a perfect way to know more info on someone :P


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:12 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Posts
1022

Location
The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
It would interesting to create a robot to send to everybody on facebook a friend invite; see what percentage will join :D

_________________
Image
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:55 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

Posts
2366
Possibly more people accepted you as a friend because you were a part of a network or group that they were part of. Try making a random account, don't join anything, then invite people. I'd like to see the result of that. Personally, if someone I don't know sends me a friend invite I decline it. I even decline friend invites from people I know but don't like.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am

Posts
229

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Possibly more people accepted you as a friend because you were a part of a network or group that they were part of. Try making a random account, don't join anything, then invite people. I'd like to see the result of that. Personally, if someone I don't know sends me a friend invite I decline it. I even decline friend invites from people I know but don't like.


I've received several messages and wall posts demanding to know who I am. As far as I am concerned, this school's senior class doesn't have a "Svetlana Ivanova-Petrova" within its ranks. Yet people still added me.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:33 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:57 am

Posts
400
On MySpace, I don't care who friend requests me.
On FaceBook, I have to have at least one mutual friend, or some other way of actually knowing who they are, for example, they have worked with me, gone to school with me, or were in some kind of organization. If not, I will send them a message (which although shows my public profile), it will decide if I should block them or not.

All of my profiles, whether FaceBook, MySpace, LiveJournal, etc, are ALL private until a friend request is approved.

_________________
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS