BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 18h, 5m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 2221MB of 3581MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: MSI Wind/Akoya Mini/Advent 4211        Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:02 pm 
Donator

I'm considering getting this netbook, if anyone has one or knows someone who has one, could you give me a quick review (pros/cons etc) and would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:47 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Don't...
I have spent a week with an Asus EEPC.
The keyboard is far too cramped to be usable and the screen makes it hard to display even a single page text document. It is nearly impossible to multitask; you will be infuriated while doing common operartions such as browsing a website while writing a word document.

The problem with these laptops are their unusably small screens and keyboards combined with notably sub-par performance. While, some may claim this can be fixed by using external USB attachments, this will compromise mobility. Ultimately, I have found the EEPC unusable because it fails at being a notebook and is far too big to be a PDA.

What you should do is wait and keep your money... Maybe try an OQO...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 am 
Donator

Ooh, you had best not let Hounsel read you saying such thing's about the Eee pc :P
I agree with the idea of holding on to your money for a little while longer, there's no way that can hurt.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:55 am 
Donator

save your money buy a proper laptop

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Lets see, I paid approximately $300 for the laptop I bought,

Intel Pentium M 1.4ghz
1.5GB RAM
40GB HD
15in LCD Display
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 Graphics
Battery life: 4 hours max with 6 cell battery (stock)
Weight: 5.4lbs

and heres the $300 eee pc

Intel mobile processor (Celeron M ULV, 900mhz)
512mb RAM
2GB HD
7in LCD Display
Intergrated graphics
Battery Life: 2.8 hours
Weight: 2 lb ½ oz

I'd much rather have the heavier laptop with better specs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:19 am 
Donator

Cnet has some interesting reviews on the MSI Wind and Advent 4211:
MSI Wind Review
Advent 4211 Review
Though, I still think you should hold on to your money, and keep saving, and as Happy Dude put it "buy a proper laptop"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
jabster wrote:
Ooh, you had best not let Hounsel read you saying such thing's about the Eee pc :P
I agree with the idea of holding on to your money for a little while longer, there's no way that can hurt.

I think my EeePC is great. I'd admit they aren't for everyone though. I just needed something that was very portable and robust enough to withstand the punishment it gets from being owned by me (like being dropped about 7 feet/2.1m). And it did those two things well. I didn't need a huge amount of performance, and mine was an EeePC 701 4GB, so was cheaper than any other laptop at the time. I'd probably would not have got an EeePC 9xx or 10xx, because they don't offer the same portability or price savings.

I'd say that the EeePC's performance isn't too bad either, it copes well with any internet/office/basic photo editing that you'd want to do. You admittedly can't do that much more, not because of performance limiting you, but the screen size limiting you. But again for me, that wasn't an issue, as in 85% of cases, I'm near a suitable desktop anyway.

Also, here in the UK, it seems laptop prices are generally higher and more spread out. When I bought my Eee, it cost £200/$400. A laptop like the one Bender described would have cost around £280, or $560. That's a substantial saving.

Top  Profile  WWW