BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 19h, 15m | CPU: 20% | MEM: 5803MB of 10606MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: New hdd        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:49 am 
FTP Access

Im getting a new hdd soon(very soon, after cleanig up, I have 300megs out of 140gigs free) and need suggestions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:58 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Suggestions for what?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:28 am 
Donator

a new hdd?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:10 am 
Donator

I'd use either Hitachi or Seagate. Preferably Seagate because they a) use Perpendicular Recording allowing higher capacities and higher performance und b) have a 5-year warranty. They tend to be a blit noisy, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am 
Donator

Seagate seem to be pretty good, the seagate disks I've used have always been pretty reliable. Like empireum said the warranty is 5 years which is always good for a hard disk.

Make sure you get one which is 7200RPM or faster, and preferably with an 8mb cache or more to get the best performance out of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:03 pm 
Donator

I think there are almost no 3.5" disks being sold with less than 7200rpm anymore. And, as pr0gram the pr0grammer said, 8MB cache or even 16MB is highly recommended.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:39 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I use Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital and they all work great. Make sure you get a HDD cooler though. These days your drive will fail very quickly without one. Modern day HDD's don't like the heat.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:47 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I use Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital and they all work great. Make sure you get a HDD cooler though. These days your drive will fail very quickly without one. Modern day HDD's don't like the heat.

:shock: That's bad - my disk dying is one of my worst nightmares, and my laptop gets seriously hot! What is a disk coller, and how do you know if you've got one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:

:shock: That's bad - my disk dying is one of my worst nightmares, and my laptop gets seriously hot! What is a disk coller, and how do you know if you've got one?

Put it this way, if you never installed one yourself, you don't have one.

This is what one looks like. I have one on every HD in my servers.

They're about £4 ($8) each from where I get them from, but are well worth it. One downside is the fans don't always last long so you might have to check up on them every few months.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:58 am 
Donator

You do not always need a HD cooler. I've never used one with my 7200rpm disks, although one of them (it was a Maxtor DiamondMax 9, one of the first SATA models) got really hot (could easily have been 50°C). But I've never had a problem with my HDs overheating. I had used a cooler when I was running 10,000 and 15,000 rpm disks, though, because these things would burn without active cooling. In most PC cases, the HD is inactively cooled by the airflow of the case fans. This can also be true in laptops. My HDDs are at ~45°C currently, without any active cooling and they have been working great for years, mostly 24/7. Most are rated for up to 55°C anyway.

@Vista Ultimate R2
I advise you to download DTemp (google for it!) and run it, it'll show your HD temperature either in °C or °F in the system tray. As long as your HD's temp doesn't exceed ~50°C, you should be fine. If it's too high, I guess there would be no way to install an additional HD cooler in your laptop, though. In most cases, this is nothing more than a heatsink or, if it's an active cooler, a (rather loud IMHO) fan.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:01 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
@empireum:
Anything above 35*c on a HD for me is too hot. When they heat up the plates can warp, which eventually, if they do it enough, can cause a head crash. For the sake a few quid, the coolers are more than worth it, especially if they save hundreds of gigabytes of data.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
@empireum:
Anything above 35*c on a HD for me is too hot. When they heat up the plates can warp, which eventually, if they do it enough, can cause a head crash. For the sake a few quid, the coolers are more than worth it, especially if they save hundreds of gigabytes of data.

This might happen. But if the HD manufacturer specifies an operating temperature of up to 55°C for the drive, I do not worry if the temps stay below, say, 50°C. So, 45°C is no problem for me. The problem I have with the coolers is that they make noise, which I absolutely can't stand. If at all, I have my HDs cooled by a single, very slow 120mm fan. That's enough. And even if one of my HDs fails; what do I run a RAID-5 on my file server for? To really shock you, I have most of my HDs enclosed to kill all noises they might emit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:20 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
These fans are silent. You can hear the drive itself over the top of them. The pc im using now is in my room and I can leave it on when I sleep and its just a meter or so away from my head. All you can hear is the light hum of the hard disk and the odd light clicking as it accesses.

For the sake of a few quid, get a cooler, no matter what the noise is. A hard drives life is more important to me than a few hours extra sleep.

EDIT: The manufacturers range is the "operating range". The life is significantly reduced when they run hot.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:22 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
@Vista Ultimate R2
I advise you to download DTemp (google for it!) and run it, it'll show your HD temperature either in °C or °F in the system tray. As long as your HD's temp doesn't exceed ~50°C, you should be fine. If it's too high, I guess there would be no way to install an additional HD cooler in your laptop, though. In most cases, this is nothing more than a heatsink or, if it's an active cooler, a (rather loud IMHO) fan.

I've got Everest, which I just checked and my HD is currently showing 45 C (CPU 57 C) - a little worrying, given that it may well get hotter than that quite a bit. I always start to worry when there's talk of disks dying for whatever reason - I don't really back up so would lose everything. I do have a Zip250 drive that I got given a while back, which is good for making small backups quite quickly, but I don't really have time for making DVD backups of larger quantities of stuff (it would be pretty time-consuming to gather all the stuff, make an iso, and then burn a DVD). I am going to have to get a big (~300 GB) external drive soon though, as my internal 120 GB one is nearly full and I want to install Vista soon, so could maybe sacrifice some space on the new disk for backups I guess (hopefully it'll be cooler if it's outside of the machine), and set up some command scripts to copy files to it so it doesn't take up time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I've got Everest, which I just checked and my HD is currently showing 45 C (CPU 57 C) - a little worrying, given that it may well get hotter than that quite a bit. I always start to worry when there's talk of disks dying for whatever reason - I don't really back up so would lose everything. I do have a Zip250 drive that I got given a while back, which is good for making small backups quite quickly, but I don't really have time for making DVD backups of larger quantities of stuff (it would be pretty time-consuming to gather all the stuff, make an iso, and then burn a DVD). I am going to have to get a big (~300 GB) external drive soon though, as my internal 120 GB one is nearly full and I want to install Vista soon, so could maybe sacrifice some space on the new disk for backups I guess (hopefully it'll be cooler if it's outside of the machine), and set up some command scripts to copy files to it so it doesn't take up time.

All the more reason to get a cooler then. At least you don't have to worry as much about it failing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:25 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
All the more reason to get a cooler then. At least you don't have to worry as much about it failing.

But you wouldn't be able to put a cooler in a laptop... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:28 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:

But you wouldn't be able to put a cooler in a laptop... :(

Well no, thats a small hitch. I highly recommend it for desktop PC's though. If it gets very hot, sit it on a table rather than your lap. Bad airflow is what causes the heat. If it is on a table then air can get to where it needs to. You could also try using RMClock to dynamically adjust the CPU speed. A slower CPU uses less power and produces less heat than one running at full pelt when not being used. I use it and it works great. The fan never comes on when running on minimum power (400mhz as appose to 2GHz), and everything runs fast still.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:35 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
These fans are silent. You can hear the drive itself over the top of them. The pc im using now is in my room and I can leave it on when I sleep and its just a meter or so away from my head. All you can hear is the light hum of the hard disk and the odd light clicking as it accesses.

That's exactly my problem. I am spending large amounts of time (and money as well, sometimes) to make the computers in my room which are just about 70-80cms away from my head when sleeping and much less when I'm sitting in front of them) inaudible (except of DVD drive access). So far, I have succeeded achieving that by using carefully reviewed and selected quiet HDs and enclosing them, along with some other stuff, of course. But I confess, I'm quite sensitive when it comes to noise. The point of it, I personally have never seen the necessity of having a dedicated HD cooler. A single, big slow fan is enough in most cases (for me).

Andy wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

He has a laptop IIRC. No way to install a HD cooler there, I guess. He can, however, buy an external HD that's actively cooled if he really wants to.]

@Vista Ultimate R2
When reducing CPU speed, be sure to reduce the Vcore, too, because the power (and thus heat dissipation) increases or decreases with the square of the Vcore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:37 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
I highly recommend it for desktop PC's though. If it gets very hot, sit it on a table rather than your lap. Bad airflow is what causes the heat. If it is on a table then air can get to where it needs to.

It always sits on a table - you can't actually really use it as a "lap top" because it has big rubber feet to raise it up for airflow underneath, and they dig into your leg if you use it as a lap top, unless you move your leg so that it's over the air vent underneath rather than the feet! Also it's so wide and heavy it just feels wrong trying to balance it as a lap top!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:40 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Quote:
@Vista Ultimate R2
When reducing CPU speed, be sure to reduce the Vcore, too, because the power (and thus heat dissipation) increases or decreases with the square of the Vcore.

RMClock reduces the Vcore when it slows the CPU down automatically.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 am 
Donator

And what to do if the mainboard doesn't support lowering the Vcore? Then all RMClock can do is lowering the multiplier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
And what to do if the mainboard doesn't support lowering the Vcore? Then all RMClock can do is lowering the multiplier.

Well then it can't be done. Chances are if the Vcore is locked the multiplier is also locked. My celeron can't be throttled at all yet the AMD in my laptop can be throttled down to 400mhz.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
empireum wrote:

Well then it can't be done. Chances are if the Vcore is locked the multiplier is also locked. My celeron can't be throttled at all yet the AMD in my laptop can be throttled down to 400mhz.

Exactly. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and I can throttle it down from 1466MHz to 533MHz or even lower – no problem, but the stupid mainboard won't let me reduce the Vcore to less than 1.75V. Pretty much destroys the purpose. But the CPU runs fine with an 80mm/1000rpm cooler.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:11 pm 
Donator

i have been thinking about getting something to cool the harddrive in my families computer. I recently upgraded it for them and when i was moving the harddrive it was rather hot, it is only a standard 80gb one but still rather hot. Both mine (80gb, 120gb) are at 25*C with no extra cooling. My external 10gb is rather cold though :D

Top  Profile