BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 13h, 21m | CPU: 1% | MEM: 2428MB of 3817MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

FTP: The FTP is planned to be offline for some time during Friday to Sunday this weekend for upgrades. 19/04/2018

Automatic Notice: The FTP is currently experiencing problems and is offline. Please sit tight while the problem is fixed. - 21/Apr 10:24am GMT

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Should Microsoft donate Longhorn to the Open-Source community?
Definitly YES!!!!! 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
YES! 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Not Sure/Don't Know/Don't Care/NULL 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Heck NO! 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
What's Longhorn? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17
 PostPost subject: Regarding the rules        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:05 am 

I was looking over the rules and it said that warez (completed product you must pay for) is not okay on this board.

Longhorn isn't finished and you don't have to pay for Longhorn it's considered out of date and now they're saying that the new copyright law means Longhorn is legal.

Is Longhorn legal on the BetaArchive??
I have also created a POLL for fun you can delete it if you want.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
technically, its not warez, but ask Andy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:34 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Any BETA edition of any software is legal on BetaArchive. Anything not in BETA or not freely available to download (Vista is freely available BTW) is considered illigal.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:43 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Anything not in BETA or not freely available to download (Vista is freely available BTW) is considered illigal.

Depends what you mean by "freely available", I guess ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:44 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Anything not in BETA or not freely available to download (Vista is freely available BTW) is considered illigal.

Depends what you mean by "freely available", I guess ;)

Well by that I mean you can download the files. Since you can download them then it can be considered legal.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Regarding the rules        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 am 
Donator

0vermind wrote:
I was looking over the rules and it said that warez (completed product you must pay for) is not okay on this board.

Longhorn isn't finished and you don't have to pay for Longhorn it's considered out of date and now they're saying that the new copyright law means Longhorn is legal.

Is Longhorn legal on the BetaArchive??
I have also created a POLL for fun you can delete it if you want.

new copyright law?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:07 am 

Yeah they changed the copyright in such a way that appearently makes Longhorn and other really old software legal and the old old games that aren't distibuted in a type of format anymore like Nintendo 64 Games could be considered as legal since they can only be played on the Nintendo 64 and that format isn't made anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 am 
FTP Access

0vermind wrote:
Yeah they changed the copyright in such a way that appearently makes Longhorn and other really old software legal and the old old games that aren't distibuted in a type of format anymore like Nintendo 64 Games could be considered as legal since they can only be played on the Nintendo 64 and that format isn't made anymore.

Who changed it? I haven't heard about this - as far as I'm aware copyrights last a lot longer than that (for music it's 50 years; not sure about software)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 am 

The goverment offices.

Here is what it is now....

Quote:
2. Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

The bold part is what catches me, because Longhorn doesn't really support todays computers because it crashes so much and it hardly supports anything I had trouble installing Firefox. And Longhorn is older then XP Service Pack 2 because longhorn isn't built on SP2 that's an idea on how old it is. :wink:

Besides that Vista is out and Longhorn isn't even built on the same code base as Microsoft's OS. I mean, I would laugh soooo hard if the story line came up....

"Microsoft sued Bob Joe for using a 3 year old Longhorn BETA Operating System that is not being sold and is not anywhere to be found and is bui;ld off of XP NO Service Pack 2. Just last month Microsoft released Vista based on Server 2003 codebase."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 am 
Donator

Well for longhorn, it requires you to have a cd/dvd which are still very very common so i don't think you would get away with it. (along with nearly all computer software/games). Anyway i think this rule only takes affect if you actually have the original (eg an n64 cartridge) as copyrights last something like 75 years after the creator/owner dies etc. But that still depends on the country you are in

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:07 am 
Wow, 75 years after Bil Gates dies will be along time! I think they should atleast release Windows 1, now come on, Apple released there old Mac OS's.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:19 am 
FTP Access

Betaman2000 wrote:
Wow, 75 years after Bil Gates dies will be along time! I think they should atleast release Windows 1, now come on, Apple released there old Mac OS's.

I think they should release everything except 2000 and XP (basically everything that's out of all support) for free download now - it's not like they make any money off them, so it would just help people who get old PCs that don't have software with them. Apple should release all the Classic OSes now (up to 9.2.2) too - at the moment 7.5.5 is the newest that you can download from them.

Is the rule on software 75 years after death? For music (at least in the UK) it seems to be 50 years after production, as some of the copyright holders were campaigning for an extension recently as their copyrights are about to expire, but I think the government has just said they won't do it - it means that music like the Beatles will start to become public domain in a few years time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 am 
Donator

98 is still used quite a bit around the place, even though they have dropped support. They may aswell release 1.00/1 to the public as i doubt there is a single pc running it, not collectors just installing it for the fun of it, but seriously using it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:33 am 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
98 is still used quite a bit around the place, even though they have dropped support.

It doesn't make them any money any more though (as you can't buy it from MS any more), so I don't see any reason not to release it - the only reason not to would be if people might be tempted to use it instead of buying a copy of XP, but that seems unlikely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago (hometown pride)
The way I see it, if the company no longer supports the product, they dont care about it, and a forced release should happen. I wish copywrites worked like that...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:52 pm 
Donator

you would probably think otherwise if you owned a copyright for something

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago (hometown pride)
and what makes you think I dont?
I release(d) all full versions of my abandoned software, with the ability to update it crippled. That was when I still made software...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:18 pm 
Donator

Betaman2000 wrote:

don't forget it was Microsoft that made most (if not all) of there OS's/software, not Bill Gates himself. So it would be after the company dies

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago (hometown pride)
^^btw, Bill quit MS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:01 am 
im am new here but i would love to see Windows go open source maybee one day it will happen

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:10 pm 
Donator

it won't ever. unless some crazy law is made where they have to or completely start over all the code and wait 10 years until no one is using the old code, then release it

Top  Profile