BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 11h, 3m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 1975MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Intel Atom        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE Build 2600 ;)
The new processor by Intel - The Atom, the atom is the smallest processor in the world so far!
So far there are to versions of the atom there is the basic Intel Atom & Intel Centrino Atom.

Image Image

Here is a quote from Intel about the Atom: "This is our smallest processor built with the world's smallest transistors. The Intel® Atom™ processor is based on an entirely new design, built for low power and designed specifically for a new wave of Mobile Internet Devices and simple, low-cost PC's. This small wonder is a fundamental new shift in design, small yet powerful enough to enable a big Internet experience on these new devices. We believe it will unleash new innovation across the industry."

Why it was made? (Intel quote)

- Get a new range of power-efficient devices with excellent performance enabled by all new hafnium-infused 45nm high-k silicon technology

- Increase energy efficiency in smaller more compact designs with a thermal design power specification ranging from less than 1W to 2.5 watts for mobile devices

- Extend battery life in select devices with an incredibly low idle and average power allowing the device to stay powered on while also conserving energy

This processor's size is 26mm², making them Intel's smallest and lowest power processors & has 47 million transistors

Personaly i think they sould bring out a new version of the ASUS Eee pc and but the new intel centrino atom inside ;)

Thanks

Jordan

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:07 am 
Donator

old news and wrong section too :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:13 am 
atom dual core, this september :D

i wait for this :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:13 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yup i cant wait either! :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:59 am 
Donator

I knew about the atom already, but yeah, I completely agree - looking into an eee-pc (900) right now and I'd definitely get one if it had an Atom, sadly I don't see any in the short-term future...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yes especialy when they bring the Atom dual core out, cant wait :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:57 pm 
Donator

I was reading an article, I think on Tom's Hardware about how AMD has an Athlon 64 2000+ that uses less power and is faster than the Atom models that are currently out. At least AMD is doing better somewhere.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:49 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
I was reading an article, I think on Tom's Hardware about how AMD has an Athlon 64 2000+ that uses less power and is faster than the Atom models that are currently out. At least AMD is doing better somewhere.

Yep, it was Tom's Hardware. And you should be able to replicate those results of the 2000+ with other AM2 CPUs as well, given they are adequately undervolted and underclocked.

ChasingVertigo wrote:
I knew about the atom already, but yeah, I completely agree - looking into an eee-pc (900) right now and I'd definitely get one if it had an Atom, sadly I don't see any in the short-term future...

The 901 is Atom-based, isn't it?

Anyway, my experience with the Atom on Intel's reference board (bought at the end of May) has mostly been positive in terms of the CPU.

Top  Profile