BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 21h, 26m | CPU: 91% | MEM: 5841MB of 10646MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Downloaded OS Discs        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:47 am 
FTP Access

hello,
i have a full oem license of windows vista on/for my pc. if i downloaded a copy of the os disc, seeings how it was NOT provided with the system, would it still be considered warez? on a more general question, is it still warez to download a copy of an OS disc that you have a legal license for?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:51 am 
Donator

If you're really that worried about it, you can request a copy of the disc from the OEM. They shouldn't charge you more than $10-20 for it. According to Microsoft's licensing for XP you have to get the disc from the OEM who manufactured your PC and it has to be for that specific model, otherwise technically you are breaking the license agreement. In reality, it doesn't really matter and Microsoft can't tell which disc you installed from. At leat that's how the license for XP read, I'm not sure about Vista. If you absolutely 100% have to be sure that you follow the wording perfectly, just order a disc from the OEM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:56 am 
FTP Access

i'm not really that concerned about it :wink: i was just wondering about it because it just ran through my head wanting to downgrade from x64 to x86
EDIT: i already have a copy of burnt recovery discs made from the recovery partition but its 3 DVDS!!!! i wanted to get a copy of just the os without all of the bloatware in the event i have to wipe it off completely clean or choose to want to reinstall.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 am 
Donator

x64 and x86 keys are different. You can't use an x64 key to install an x86 copy of Vista, even if they are both Home Premium or both Business, etc. The key won't work. If you have a key for Ultimate x64 the only copy that key will even go into, let alone activate on, is Ultimate x64. You have to stick to the edition and architecture that the key is for. Also, there is a difference between OEM, Retail, and Upgrade editions. If you have a stripped down disc which only has Business x86 OEM and you have a key for Business x86 Retail, chances are that they key isn't going to work.

Why would you want to downgrade from x64 to x86? If you're having some issues with 64-bit drivers, software, etc. maybe we can help.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 am 
FTP Access

mainly software incompatibility, slows down the system a lot, lags when i wake it up from sleep, other things which i cant remember atm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 am 
FTP Access

There is no such thing as an "x86" or an "x64" key. It's just a Vista product key.

Whatever you do, use this tool to backup your activation

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:15 am 
Donator

According to Vista Ultimate R2 (and his Dell :P) you can use an OEM key on a Retail Vista DVD, provided its the same PC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
QuiescentWonder wrote:
x64 and x86 keys are different. You can't use an x64 key to install an x86 copy of Vista, even if they are both Home Premium or both Business, etc. The key won't work. If you have a key for Ultimate x64 the only copy that key will even go into, let alone activate on, is Ultimate x64. You have to stick to the edition and architecture that the key is for. Also, there is a difference between OEM, Retail, and Upgrade editions. If you have a stripped down disc which only has Business x86 OEM and you have a key for Business x86 Retail, chances are that they key isn't going to work.

Why would you want to downgrade from x64 to x86? If you're having some issues with 64-bit drivers, software, etc. maybe we can help.

You are wrong, just like TheWahbinator said, if you have a key for an edition of Vista, it will work for 64bit or 32bit, Keys are not architecture specific, they only are specific to a version of vista (home, buisness, Premium, Ultimate) not 32 or 64 bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 am 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
According to Vista Ultimate R2 (and his Dell :P) you can use an OEM key on a Retail Vista DVD, provided its the same PC.

There is only one universial orginal Vista disc for each architecture. OEMs modifiy the WIM image for their contect, but every key is still accepted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 am 
FTP Access

Even if it was a different PC it would still accept the key and activate it the key had not been activated on a different machine before, but it would not be 100% legal as the key is attached to the original PC. But yes, the keys are definitely the same and you can use the key on your machine for either, it was XP where x64 and x86 keys were different. x64 is much better though, that's why I changed my Dell laptop to it - your problems are probably coming from all the preinstalled crapware, I would recommend you download a proper Microsoft x64 disc and use that (with your OEM key), then get the latest drivers from the websites of the manufacturers of your hardware components (not the PC itself) as the ones that come preinstalled are usually outdated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:37 pm 
FTP Access

yes, but x64 still lacks software support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
seika wrote:
yes, but x64 still lacks software support.

Generally, the only software that will refuse to run is 16bit Software. And few people deal with that on a regular basis now. I'm quite happily using x64 Vista (and I did happily use x64 XP) on reasonable hardware (Intel Pentium Dual Core/ 2GB DDR2) without any hardware or software compatibilities.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:53 pm 
FTP Access

yes but some apps wont support x64 until maybe 2010 or later or whenever x32 slowly fades away.

mostly media players, symantec products, EA, and others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:38 pm 
FTP Access

I haven't come across any software that runs on 32-bit Vista but not 64-bit Vista, except old 16-bit apps as they took the 16-bit subsystem out of the x64 edition - what do you have that you haven't been able to get to run on x64?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 pm 
FTP Access

try this app and see if it works

Code:
http://earthalerts.manyjourneys.com/files/Setup_EarthAlerts.zip

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
seika wrote:
mostly media players, symantec products, EA, and others.

What media players? They all run fine for me. Yup, running Symantec Corporate AV, all the ones I've tried (Battlefield, Crysis) work perfectly, Crysis even works natively.

Please make us a detailed list of 32 bit software that will not work on 64-bit or is not availible in 64-bit versions. Oh and that list should only include software that you actually use.

And about that EarthAlert program:
Quote:
For those who are curious, the .NET Framework is a Microsoft product. Earth Alerts is written in C#, a programming language that relies upon the .NET Framework, which is a foundation of class libraries and support files or, to put it in more technical terms, it's a bunch of "cool stuff" that helps us programmer geeks create our software!

The programmer is either an idiot or is using some weird platform specific code, the only way to break 64-bit in C# I know of would be to link it with 32-bit libraries that for some reason refuse to work in the 32-bit interpreter.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

Earth Alerts

Real Player

DivX

NIS 2009

Object Dock plus

Nero

they are only partially working. need x32 to get all features.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:37 pm 
FTP Access

Yes, a program that uses any 32-bit libraries will only load on Windows x64 if he compiles it to target the 32-bit .Net Framework (an easy change to make) - that way it will run it as a 32-bit program rather than a native 64-bit one (as you can't load 32-bit libraries in a 64-bit program). RealPlayer and Nero work fine as far as I have been able to tell, maybe some obscure feature isn't supported under x64.

If something doesn't work under x64 nowadays there's enough alternatives out there, any remaining programmers still not fully supporting x64 need to realise that people are not going to avoid moving to the next-generation high-performance version of Windows that gets the most out of current hardware just to run their outdated apps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Not to be disrespectful, but EarthAlerts and Object Dock seem like the only two programs that could conceivably be worth having on your computer out of those.

RealPlayer is terrible, DivX is pretty much equally terrible and there are better programs, I can't understand why you would be running NIS 2009, no wonder Nero doesn't work (it does work for me to burn CDs), Nero is pretty much an OS of its own.

So the only complaints I can see are Object Dock and Earth Alerts. And google informs me that Object Dock beta supports Vista properly.

Wasn't this supposed to be about Vista licensing?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:41 pm 
FTP Access

so is that why EA cant work with x64 and only x32?

well if anyone wants to offer the developer help to get it working on x64 email

earthalerts@manyjourneys.com

yeah but I ran x64 on my pc before and I didnt notice anything different. My ratings are the same.

and most of the leaks only work for x32.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:47 pm 
FTP Access

What's the problem with EA products, I haven't come across any issues?

longview wrote:
Wasn't this supposed to be about Vista licensing?

Yeh, we were talking about this because the question was how to downgrade from x64 to x86, so it moved onto why this is a bad idea ;)

seika wrote:
and most of the leaks only work for x32.

Of Vista you mean? Both are on the FTP server here, and you could always buy a copy ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

yeah but it was heading toward x64 bit discussion about software incompatibility that's an old beta there the news is from last year.

Well x64 also lags and slows down when I install apps. and it eats more RAM.

No i mean new OS's and feature packs.

EA= earth alerts not the video games

this is what the dev had to say about x32 bit dying off.

You mean to say that within 12 months no computer will be running 32-bit Windows anymore? Probably not but…saying Windows 32-bit is going to die within a year is a pretty bold statement. Especially when such a statement is made without elaborating much further. The Midori project is interesting. I do agree with you that 32-bit Windows days are numbered, I don’t think it’s going away quite that soon. Migration to 32-bit would be slow just like migrating from FF2 to FF3.

Matt

Top  Profile